Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 28 Jul 2006 (Friday) 11:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post the most ridiculous comments you've received with a big lens on!

this thread is locked
Bwaze
28 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 16, 2008 04:39 as a reply to  @ post 6696631 |  #6151

Lol. Hungarian Tolkien Society. (double checking the spelling this time)

Sorry, keyboard typing is not my native forms of communications. :)

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 16, 2008 13:09 |  #6152

As in LOTR, right?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

michelle*
57 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 16, 2008 13:20 |  #6153

I just have an XTi and was shooting with my kit lens and some girl in Santa Monica comes running out of the bar wanting to know where Britney (Spears) was? *shakes head*

Canon 50D Sigma 10-20 Canon 28-135 Canon 50-250 Nifty Fifty

photocrazy12
238 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 16, 2008 13:45 |  #6154

michelle* wrote in post #6698294 (external link)
I just have an XTi and was shooting with my kit lens and some girl in Santa Monica comes running out of the bar wanting to know where Britney (Spears) was? *shakes head*

oh man, classic.

Flickr (external link)

JBaz
Goldmember
1,672 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 16, 2008 14:51 |  #6155

My @sshole self would have responded with "Apparently, not with you."

Camera Gear

"Besides the military, photography is the only profession of where you can be proud of shooting people..."

I26
587 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 16, 2008 17:58 as a reply to  @ post 6667675 |  #6156

On the megapixel comments: I always respond with something over the top. 40 tends to be a great answer. You can see their ego go *FLOP* as they thought they were going to pull the "mine has more and cost less". Most people I know or run into have no clue what the differences are in cameras.

Canon EOS 30D / Canon 430EX | Canon BG-E2 Grip | Canon 400mm f/5.6L | Canon EF 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 USM

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 17, 2008 07:28 |  #6157

At this point, you have 2 options:
1) Point in the other direction shouting "there she is", then beating the stupid girl over the head with your tripod/monopod
2) Test fire your flash in her face.

Either way she will see stars that night!!:lol::lol::lol:

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

Bwaze
28 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 18, 2008 11:05 |  #6158

tonylong wrote in post #6698257 (external link)
As in LOTR, right?

Right. I'm from Slovenia, and several members of Slovenian Tolkien Society have visited Hungarian meeting.

I bought my EOS 450D August, so I'm a complete beginner, I didn't even own a digital camera before (always rented one form friends or family when I needed one).

So after two months of struggling with buttons and settings I am slowly noticing such things as composition and proper exposure.

This is the result of the trip, a 232-photos gallery of silly things Tolkien fans do when on their own:

http://www.gil-galad.info/gallery/Hun​gary-2008 (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

Sill learning though. But this forum is great, I have learned tonns. And spent a lot of time in silly threads like this one. :D Haven't posted, because I think everything I can ask now has already been answered, so I use "search" function a lot. But I think I will slowly start to post my photos and try to get some feedback, I'm probably not the most competent crytic.

izthistaken
Cream of the Crop
6,857 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 29, 2008 11:52 |  #6159

Bump (subscribe) :p

Matt
flickr  (external link)
5DMKII | 16-35L |24-70L| 70-200L 2.8 II | Canon 50mm 1.8|35mm F2|580ex x2|Lumopro LP160|Nikon SB24|Cybersyncs x3

izthistaken
Cream of the Crop
6,857 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 29, 2008 11:58 |  #6160

Oh, got one. Walking into the 'roped off' area at the offshore boat races in town with my D40 55-200. (sorry)
Security guard says "Whoa, what are you doing?"
Me: "What?"
SG: "You can't bring that in here."
Me: "You're serious?"
SG: "Yeah, I dont know newspapers and people that sell the pictures get angry."
Me: "Well that's really stupid, and it sucks."
SG: "Can you hide it?"
Me: "Well I can take the lens off and put it in my shorts" (Cargo shorts-perfect)
SG: "Cool, go ahead man."
Me: "Sweet! Thanks alot man!"

Very cool :) Thanks security guard :)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i285.photobucke​t.com …/Boat%20races/b​oat597.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Same event, different area
Girl: "Are you a photographer?" I was going to say "Yeah, I have a camera, and taking pictures, right?" :lol: I just said "No."
Girl: "Oh I saw you out there with that big lens and was wondering." :lol:

Matt
flickr  (external link)
5DMKII | 16-35L |24-70L| 70-200L 2.8 II | Canon 50mm 1.8|35mm F2|580ex x2|Lumopro LP160|Nikon SB24|Cybersyncs x3

X-Warrior
590 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 29, 2008 14:24 as a reply to  @ izthistaken's post |  #6161

Got my share of attention today, as I was strolling through the dunes for some shots.

First a nice couple, pointing me towards a fairy ring, because they noticed I have a 'real' camera. I told them theirs is just as real (a small compact), but they just said it's not as real as mine. Many thanks to them though, got some great shots of the ring (check this post) :D

As I was still wandering around looking for the ring, I came across another couple, of which one started posing in a ridiculous way (straight up, big fake smile), grabbing his wife in the process (making her pose along). I just smiled/laughed and went on.
Shortly after, I turned back, realising that I probably should've taken the other turn to find the ring, and I came across the same couple again. I walked faster apparently. As soon as he noticed me, history repeated itself :roll:. Didn't take a picture since I'm not usually into portraits, and I didn't have my flash - it was getting darkish already. Was a funny encounter though, smiles on several faces :)

Then a group of girl scouts. There were hordes of scouts everywhere today. Anyway, these girls pointed out that they had just seen some deer a bit further along. Told them I had seen some earlier today and that I didn't think I had enough reach to catch them on the sensor, even if I were to see them myself. "That big lens can't zoom far enough ?" Was the obvious question that followed. Since it was my 17-70, I said "Nope, and I left my other lens at home."
"Hey, but we make good subjects as well!"
Didn't think so... was already wandering away :roll:

That would be my recollection of this afternoon :)

Something wide (external link), something long (external link), something fishy (external link), something strong (external link), something for details (external link), something to put it on (external link).
To view my image showcase, visit: http://www.dvdpimages.​com (external link)

ooo
Goldmember
1,765 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 29, 2008 15:25 |  #6162

Ahh, I always get good laughs from this thread.

I was leaving a restaurant a few months back and some guy was like woah, nice camera. How much does that cost? I go are you into photography? He goes "yeah, I use to shoot cars and everything, wide angles and bird eye lenses. I love the bird eye lens, its my favorite." Bird eye lens? "Yeah, its like really wide and makes a cool effect." I'm yeah, its a great lens, and that's my story.

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 29, 2008 15:36 as a reply to  @ ooo's post |  #6163

He's just confusing birds with flying fish.

JBaz
Goldmember
1,672 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 29, 2008 19:23 |  #6164

I went out and tested out something. Had a camera assistant carrying the ghostbusters pack but instead of a ring light, I had a beauty dish... in a club... Going around and taking portraits of people. People kept asking me, "are you shooting video?" and I go, "only if I had the new 5D mkII I could".

People were amazed that I was doing this for fun. It was an experiment.

Camera Gear

"Besides the military, photography is the only profession of where you can be proud of shooting people..."

elmaestro
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 02, 2008 20:15 as a reply to  @ post 6696430 |  #6165

Them - "You compensating for something?"
Me - "No, I'm complementing it :wink:"

I should have used that response when a friend made the same comment on Thanksgiving night. I had bought a 24-70L earlier that day and when I began shooting the dinner spread (with hood and flash) everybody had to say something. I knew most of the people so it was a good time and we talked about some of the other comments I have gotten.

I used to have a 1D and some L's including the 70-200/2.8 IS and I got lots of comments, especially since I was shooting mainly concerts in bars. All of the usual utterances abounded. Since the 1D just came out, I got lots of questions as to whether it shot film or not, which was kind of surprising.

Since moving to NYC, I have had many similar encounters. I haven't shot with the 24-70 in public yet but I'm sure history will repeat itself.

Epic thread, BTW!

Leica M6 Panda, Leitz 35 Cron pre-ASPH IV, 50 Cron III
Contax RTS III, Zeiss T* 28/2.8, 50/1.4, 35-135mm
Shimada-san/Elefoto C/Y-to-M & C/Y-to-EOS adapters
Graflex Super Graphic 4x5, Canon 20D

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,735,690 views & 0 likes for this thread
Post the most ridiculous comments you've received with a big lens on!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.