Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Dec 2008 (Tuesday) 12:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who's gonna be the first to pick up the new Zeiss ZE 50mm

BigBlueDodge
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 02, 2008 12:02 |  #1

I see that the new Canon mount Zeiss 50mm prime is in stock at B&H. Yes, I realize that this lens is not everyone's cup of tea, due to its lack of AF. But yet this lens intrigues me, and many others. So who is gonna be the first to take the plunge? I wish I had the money, but after buying a 50D, 300 f/4.0 IS and 85L MKII in the last two months, my wallet is drained.

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

sponsored links
TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 02, 2008 12:05 |  #2

The 50 has never had the best reputation, but who knows. I'll be looking at the 85 and 21/24.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

jamesdak
84 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 02, 2008 13:53 |  #3

I won't be in any rush to get one. I already use a Contax Zeiss 50/1.4 on my EOS bodies and also have a Leica R 50/2 and a Pentax SMC 50/1.4. I think I have the range covered. Still, according to your application this could be a very good lens buy for some.

formula4speed
903 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 02, 2008 14:11 |  #4

I'm pretty tempted, but the price is higher than I was expecting. I was hoping to be close to $500 like the ZF version. So on one hand I want to try it, and on the other I just bought a new car...

I'm taking pictures of everything, so go ahead and take this place away from me.

5DII, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, ZE 28mm f/2, 35mm f/1.4L, ZE 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8L IS, 580 EX

BigBlueDodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 02, 2008 17:28 |  #5

I was looking at the pictures, and it just looks like a quality item. I mean, the filter threads mount is metal. All my Canon lenses use plastic. With all that metal and glass, I bet it feels real solid.

Question, does Zeiss drop their prices likes Canon does after an item is introduced? Should we expect to see this len priced in the $500 in the next year or so?

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

formula4speed
903 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 02, 2008 19:41 |  #6

I'd expect a very well made lens, just curious about the optics. I think the older versions as well as the ZF exhibit a "glow" in certain situations when shot wide open, which could be a feature or defect depending on how you feel about it. I'm really hoping for good sharpness with great colors and contrast. As for the price, it may drop but I doubt it will drop that far, I'll be keeping an eye on the used market though just in case one pops up.

I'm taking pictures of everything, so go ahead and take this place away from me.

5DII, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, ZE 28mm f/2, 35mm f/1.4L, ZE 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8L IS, 580 EX

elmaestro
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 02, 2008 21:20 |  #7

I also use a Contax Zeiss 50/1.4 on my EOS bodies. I read a review of the ZE the other day and the reviewer noted unexpectedly low sharpness but he suspected something might be wrong and suspended the review until he could get another lens. Regardless, I'm pretty happy with my Zeiss Planar and probably won't be getting a ZE.

Leica M6 Panda, Leitz 35 Cron pre-ASPH IV, 50 Cron III
Contax RTS III, Zeiss T* 28/2.8, 50/1.4, 35-135mm
Shimada-san/Elefoto C/Y-to-M & C/Y-to-EOS adapters
Graflex Super Graphic 4x5, Canon 20D

Flickr (external link)

Shuko
377 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 02, 2008 23:00 |  #8

Just because it has Zeiss painted on it, it doesn't automatically become the best. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ZE lenses are same old C/Y designs? In that case 50 or 85 are not anything special, probably the dumbest lenses to pick for the first EOS release. 21 on the other hand is a gem.

www.miikajarvinen.fi (external link)
Gear List

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 02, 2008 23:18 |  #9

The 50mm, not so much. That 21mm Distagon has me drooling though.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

jamesdak
84 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 03, 2008 07:16 |  #10

Shuko wrote in post #6802355 (external link)
Just because it has Zeiss painted on it, it doesn't automatically become the best. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ZE lenses are same old C/Y designs? In that case 50 or 85 are not anything special, probably the dumbest lenses to pick for the first EOS release. 21 on the other hand is a gem.

Old does not mean bad though does it?? My old Contax Zeiss 50/1.4 is the sharpest 50mm at farther focusing distances that I've ever had. Easily better than the Canon 50/1.4 I rented and tested it against. Not that there are really that many bad 50mms out there.

My old Contax Zeiss 85/2.8 is incredible and my old Contax Zeiss 100/2.0 is the best lens I have.

I guess my point is that over the past two years as I switched to Canon from 20 years of Minolta shooting I've found that a lot of old lenses beat Canons current crop of wide and standard primes in terms of edge to edge sharpness, color (subjective), contrast, build quality, price, etc. My opinion comes from actual side by side tests, not speculation. On the other hand I love my Canon 400/5.6 and can find no fault with it.

Just food for thought.

mcp.me
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 03, 2008 07:35 as a reply to  @ jamesdak's post |  #11

I am getting the 50mm F1.4 EF tomorrow morning (assuming delivery estimates are accurate.

I'll be sure to report!

5D, EF 24-105 F4L IS, EF 70-200 F2.8L IS, 2x Canon extender, Carl Zeiss 50mm 1.4 ZE, Lee Filters and s*** loads of CF cards
Weddings for Money. Landscapes for Love.

BigBlueDodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 03, 2008 18:00 |  #12

mcp.me wrote in post #6803956 (external link)
I am getting the 50mm F1.4 EF tomorrow morning (assuming delivery estimates are accurate.

I'll be sure to report!

DING DING DING DING!!! We have a winner.

As far as I know, you will be the first on the forum to get the lens. We will all anxiously await your review and sample pictures (please include a shot of the lens on the camera as well. I want to see how big it is in relation to the camera body)

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

hk300
253 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 04, 2008 03:30 |  #13

i would loved to know the difference between these Zeiss ZE lenses (very $$$) and the older MF Zeiss lenses adapted to our EOS systems (which can be get for very reasonable prices).

foxbat
Goldmember
2,431 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 04, 2008 03:50 |  #14

hk300 wrote in post #6810230 (external link)
i would loved to know the difference between these Zeiss ZE lenses (very $$$) and the older MF Zeiss lenses adapted to our EOS systems (which can be get for very reasonable prices).

Auto-aperture on the ZE lenses is the most significant user difference and some have updated designs. Warranty and serviceability is another factor.

Andy Brown; South-east England. Canon, Sigma, Leica, Zeiss all on Canon DSLRs. My hacking blog (external link).

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 04, 2008 03:59 |  #15

I don't pay a premium for stuff I have to manually focus since I miss 90% of the time.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links

7,359 views & 0 likes for this thread
Who's gonna be the first to pick up the new Zeiss ZE 50mm
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.