Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Dec 2008 (Friday) 20:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D MKII Poor Video

californiajay
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 07, 2008 20:45 |  #61

There you go again Jeffrey :)

5D MKII, 16-35L, 24-105L, 70-200 f4L, 35 f1.4L, 50 f1.4, 85 f1.2L, 100 macro, 135 f2L, 200 f2.8L, 300 f4L, 300 f2.8L, 65 macro
Nikon D700, 14-24, 24-70, 17-35 f2.8, 85 f1.4, 105 f2, 180 f2.8, 300 f4.5MF
Leica M8, 28 f2, 35 f2, 75 f2

sponsored links
gooble
Goldmember
3,149 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 07, 2008 21:49 |  #62

People have asked if you're sure you're shooting in HD and you have not replied as far as I can tell.

californiajay
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 07, 2008 22:02 |  #63

gooble wrote in post #6833883 (external link)
People have asked if you're sure you're shooting in HD and you have not replied as far as I can tell.

Jeeper2000 asked if I had set the menu settings to the higher resolution. I responded by saying "yes of course." I have thought myself that perhaps even though the camera IS set there, that it may not actually be shooting there (defect). I know of no other HD setting on this camera. If there IS, would someone please tell me?

5D MKII, 16-35L, 24-105L, 70-200 f4L, 35 f1.4L, 50 f1.4, 85 f1.2L, 100 macro, 135 f2L, 200 f2.8L, 300 f4L, 300 f2.8L, 65 macro

gravity
243 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 07, 2008 23:17 |  #64

californiajay wrote in post #6832874 (external link)
Bubble, I have stated that I have no means of uploading video but I did point out EXACTLY the moire that is giving me fits with this camera in a sample video that was pointed out to me. If you didn't see that, here is the link...

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=aqM5QqqDqhw (external link)

Others had pointed out that it is unfair to compare anything from youtube, but it makes no difference...this is exactly what I see right out of the camera into my 1080p TV, or if I import into any editing program and burn a blu-ray disk.

Frankly I don't see why you need to see anything specifically out of MY camera when I have shown EXACTLY what I am talking about. Whatsmore I am not nagging about it, but rather bringing those people who had the decency to try and help me sort out my problem up to date on where I am at with it! I don't want any of them to continue (if they are) looking for solutions for me...I THOUGHT I was being courteous in doing so!!

In addition, my intent here was not to nag about anything but try and find someone with some technical knowledge who can point me in the right direction. Apparently you are incapable of doing that.

Flipa, I have shown video to some people who look at it and say "wow that looks incredible." What can I say? To me it looks bad. The moire problem is not a small deal, it is a deal breaker. Again, look at the video from the link I provided above. I get that effect on I would say 50% of the videos I have shot. If you don't get it, I am happy for you, but at this point, since I have now shot with two different cameras and saw it on both, I would say you are just not shooting subject matter which is showing it. If you DO get the moire and it doesn't bother you, also so be it...it bothers me.

So I guess I am just looking for something a little different...maybe something a little different than what the 5D can produce. Is that so horrible? I own an XHA1. To me, THAT is a video camera! I have NO trouble getting wonderful looking footage out of that. I will continue to use the 5D, as a still camera. It does wonderful things that way.

Came in kinda late on this, but with the equipments you have (according to your sig, and all the various methods that you used for testing: HD tv, Quicktime, computer screen; and of course, the fact that you're posting in this forum) an access to the internet. I'd humbly suggest that you take this video file and post it up on some file sharing site so we can download it and take a look. This way we'll all have a better idea on what "you" saw in your MkII and can offer better suggestions / solutions :)

www.500px.com/numphoto​graphy (external link)
www.flickr.com/photos/​numphotography (external link)

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,853 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 07, 2008 23:40 |  #65

And my opinion is: Don't try anything, i saw what you exactly suffer from your 5DmkII but let me see those videos that you think they are stunning, i am sure they didn't shoot anything of lines that will make any moire, and i am sure they have that moire as well but they just don't move the camera for 180 or 360 degree angle, if you fixed the camera on 0 degree angle then you will never see any moire.
So i think people here have the same problem but they are either:
1. Don't care much about that moire and you use it as it is [for video]
2. They don't know how to solve the problem, that if there is a solution in fact.

Really i will try to help you as much as i can, but i don't have this camera to try myself then tell you what is the problem and how can we solve it, and maybe there are many factors or reasons not in camera itself alone that make your videos bad and some others better and good enough quality [hope that it is not about the moire only].

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

californiajay
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 08, 2008 01:45 as a reply to  @ Tareq's post |  #66

OK I will try and hook up with a site where I can upload some videos...

In the meantime, it's easy to find good samples...just go to vimeo.com and do a search on canon 5d mk ii (or even canon 5d). The videos look 100 percent better than anything I have been able to achieve! Look especially at

http://vimeo.com/24570​46 (external link)

This one contains lots of objects which would definitely produce the moire on my camera, no doubt.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 08, 2008 01:49 |  #67

californiajay wrote in post #6835025 (external link)
OK I will try and hook up with a site where I can upload some videos...

In the meantime, it's easy to find good samples...just go to vimeo.com and do a search on canon 5d mk ii (or even canon 5d). The videos look 100 percent better than anything I have been able to achieve! Look especially at

http://vimeo.com/24570​46 (external link)

This one contains lots of objects which would definitely produce the moire on my camera, no doubt.

We know where the good ones are .. we want to see a sample specifically from your camera... ;)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Goshawk
841 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 08, 2008 01:55 |  #68

Yeah the DSLR video cam, I got involved in some heated debates a while ago about this topic. Except if you film a very interesting incident which will be appreciated on Youtube(and which you can film with your phone anyway) I do not know why they have even bothered. I am sure they would have been able to sell/produce the 5D II at a much cheaper price without the video feature.
High Quality video clips --- who cares these days, the most popular/most watched video clips seem to anyway be low quality --- no one cares --- it is the scene captured that counts --- no one is interested in your high quality home movie clips of your kids/pets shot from a tri-pod.
I can understand that they develop that feature in a phone which is in your pocket all the time(and is getting better year by year)--- that makes sense for short clips. But on a DSLR that is at home most of the time and only gets taken out for photo shoots --- ???
But then as I have been told "I do not HAVE to use it"(although it undoubtedly made the camera more expensive)
I can only hope they do not put that feature in the "D" bodies and then add a extra $1000 on top of the price for this.
So to me the answer to you is ignore the video(pretend it is not there although you had to pay more for the camera because it has this unique feature) and enjoy your camera.

1D Mk III - 100mm 2.8 Macro - 24-70mm 2.8L - 70-200mm 2.8L IS - 500mm 4.0L IS - 430EX, 580EX II, ST-E2, Stroboframe, Quantum Turbo (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/deonnaude/ (external link)http://www.flickr.com/​photos/deonnaude/ (external link)

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 08, 2008 02:12 |  #69

Goshawk wrote in post #6835058 (external link)
I do not know why they have even bothered. I am sure they would have been able to sell/produce the 5D II at a much cheaper price without the video feature.

Why? It already was going to have live view -- now all they're doing is offering a way to record that path of data. Slap in a $2 mic and call it a new 'hybrid'. Total cost: $2.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

Goshawk
841 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 08, 2008 02:32 |  #70

TheHoff wrote in post #6835104 (external link)
Why? It already was going to have live view -- now all they're doing is offering a way to record that path of data. Slap in a $2 mic and call it a new 'hybrid'. Total cost: $2.

I am pretty sure it would have been a bit more involved than that but to tell the truth I do not really care.

1D Mk III - 100mm 2.8 Macro - 24-70mm 2.8L - 70-200mm 2.8L IS - 500mm 4.0L IS - 430EX, 580EX II, ST-E2, Stroboframe, Quantum Turbo (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/deonnaude/ (external link)http://www.flickr.com/​photos/deonnaude/ (external link)

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 08, 2008 02:35 |  #71

Goshawk wrote in post #6835150 (external link)
I am pretty sure it would have been a bit more involved than that but to tell the truth I do not really care.

Well sure, my joke was simplistic. There are R&D, Q/A, and of course, marketing costs associated with adding the video feature.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 08, 2008 02:49 |  #72

Goshawk wrote in post #6835150 (external link)

You seemed to care enough to want to dump on the OP about it... :rolleyes:

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Goshawk
841 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 08, 2008 02:59 |  #73

TheHoff wrote in post #6835158 (external link)
Well sure, my joke was simplistic. There are R&D, Q/A, and of course, marketing costs associated with adding the video feature.

It is a funny thing this video, there is some guys that really like it and they use valid arguments to back this up, somehow it just do not get my interest. Now if they would have developed a better low light focus support system or something in that line, that would have been exiting for me.
It will actually be interesting to know how much they spent developing the video feature and how much it added to the sell price. Never mind the time the engineers spent on it when they could have been rather building 1D III's without focus problems or any of the other new bodies without faulty systems. Did I hear a rumor about "black spots" in the latest offering the 5D II :rolleyes:

Goshawk
841 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 08, 2008 03:03 |  #74

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #6835181 (external link)
You seemed to care enough to want to dump on the OP about it... :rolleyes:

True but I still do not care:lol:
Maybe I felt for the OP:rolleyes:

hitmanh
136 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 08, 2008 08:09 |  #75

Can't tell much from that youtube video, the compression artifacts hide pretty much everything.

I suggest you mount you camera on a tripod, start recording and a perform slow pan. Then upload that video and we maybe be able to offer some useful help.

"In Photography, as in all arts, the quality of the human imagination is the only thing that counts - technique, and technical proficiency, mean nothing in themselves." CLARENCE JOHN LAUGHLIN
www.hitmanh.com (external link)
40D and some luck

sponsored links

10,736 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D MKII Poor Video
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.