Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
Thread started 01 Dec 2008 (Monday) 10:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Should I recalibrate my Tamron 17-50 2.8?

kingdean
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 06, 2008 11:14 |  #31

Yeah I noticed they were off centre so I took that last one which also exhibited the soft upper right also (to me anyway ??? :( )

Looks like I've deleted my test shots at multiple f stops but it is a fair bit softer at f/2.8
this is f2.8 and f6.3 respectively, not exactly real world but it's late and it's what I had on my desk

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i68.photobucket​.com …s/i30/KingDeaN/​th_f28.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.

http://i68.photobucket​.com …s/i30/KingDeaN/​th_f63.jpg (external link)

Maybe that is what they are typically like in terms of apature vs sharpness but I certainly notice it when I'm taking shots and tend to avoid shooting below f/4 with it

sponsored links
strobe ­ monkey
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 06, 2008 15:35 |  #32

I'm happy to report, my Tamron 17-50 is now focusing correctly.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3255/3087840122_940b5637fa.jpg?v=0

R5, RF85 f1.2L, RF 50 f1.8, 6D, EF16-35 F4L IS, EF50 f1.4
Sold:
40D, 50D, 7D, 5D, 5D MKII, EF 70-200 F4, EF 24-105L, EF 24-70L, EF 17-40L, EF 85 f1.8, Stigma 10-20, EF 35 f/2, EF 50 f/1.8

KarlosDaJackal
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 06, 2008 16:11 |  #33

gcogger wrote in post #6821375 (external link)
The Sigma's problems are mostly that front focus issue at short distances. The early copies I tried did it at all focal lengths wide open (although it was more obvious at the long end), but many people have said more recently that it only does it at 150mm.

Let us know how it is when you get the camera back :)

Mine only front focuses at 150mm if asked to focus on something within 2.2 metres. If you move back, or zoom out to 135mm the problem goes away.

Regarding its low light focusing, well how can I put it nicely on a 400d/XTi its horrible, on a 40d its fantastic. Buy low light I mean ISO3200 - f/2.8 and needing 1/40 to get a proper exposure. In that light on a 400d/XTi the FTM gets used. On the 40d it seems to work fine with AF.

My Website (external link) - Flick (external link)r (external link) - Model Mayhem (external link) - Folio32 (external link)
Gimp Tutorials by me on POTN
Gear List

blssdwlf
543 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 07, 2008 01:10 |  #34

Hmm - those look pretty blown out/overexposed. When you get some time, try shooting some normal shots at f/2.8 and post one up. If you're blowing out the scene at f/2.8, I can see how it would get soft from too much light (like hitting someone with a full power flash and ISO1600 :) )

kingdean wrote in post #6824755 (external link)
Yeah I noticed they were off centre so I took that last one which also exhibited the soft upper right also (to me anyway ??? :( )

Looks like I've deleted my test shots at multiple f stops but it is a fair bit softer at f/2.8
this is f2.8 and f6.3 respectively, not exactly real world but it's late and it's what I had on my desk

IMAGE NOT FOUND PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.

http://i68.photobucket​.com …s/i30/KingDeaN/​th_f28.jpg (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.

http://i68.photobucket​.com …s/i30/KingDeaN/​th_f63.jpg (external link)

Maybe that is what they are typically like in terms of apature vs sharpness but I certainly notice it when I'm taking shots and tend to avoid shooting below f/4 with it

Regards,
Peter
--= gear: 400D / 17-50 / 55-250 / nifty-50 / flash / etc =--

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 08, 2008 03:36 |  #35

0(ʹͦˋ¿ˊͦˋ)0 wrote in post #6818567 (external link)
The problem seems to be on my other two lenses too, it is not a constant problem, sometimes I'm getting sharp pictures.
I checked older pictures (using DPP to see the focus point) and some of them were showing the same problem, not that bad like with the Tammy but I guess it was there.

I'm sending the body. They ask me if after using the Sigma 50-150 2.8 the problem became worse, and looking trough my pictures it seems like after using the sigma everything got worse. They told that some third party lenses like sigma can cause these problems sooner or later. :confused:

I guess I have to start buying canon lenses only :p

Huh??? How??

Jurgen
50D~EOS M50 MkII~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

0(ʹͦˋ¿ˊͦˋ)0
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 08, 2008 05:07 |  #36

yogestee wrote in post #6835283 (external link)
Huh??? How??

Don't know Jurgen, He never said anything. He just asked me which were the lenses I used with the body. And then he asked me if I noticed that the problem got worse after I started using the Sigma, next he said; -some third party lenses like Sigma 50-150 can cause these problems sooner or later- :rolleyes:

Juanjo Gear

GCGuy
579 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 08, 2008 06:20 as a reply to  @ 0(ʹͦˋ¿ˊͦˋ)0's post |  #37

My Sigma 50mm can't be used on my 40D or 20D, front focuses by about 2 inches wide open, which is the only reason I bought the lens. From what I've read, this is a fairly common issues with certain lens sizes from Sigma. The 50D works flawlessly and focuses spot on after some micro af adjusting.

Just a guy with a few photography goodies that challenge me anew every day! ;)
PjsPix.com (external link) * Gear List

KarlosDaJackal
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 08, 2008 07:01 |  #38

GCGuy wrote in post #6835643 (external link)
My Sigma 50mm can't be used on my 40D or 20D, front focuses by about 2 inches wide open, which is the only reason I bought the lens. From what I've read, this is a fairly common issues with certain lens sizes from Sigma. The 50D works flawlessly and focuses spot on after some micro af adjusting.

So return it or send it in for calibration, same as you would with any canon lens that front focused.

My Website (external link) - Flick (external link)r (external link) - Model Mayhem (external link) - Folio32 (external link)
Gimp Tutorials by me on POTN
Gear List

taxsux
392 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 08, 2008 07:04 |  #39

0(ʹͦˋ¿ˊͦˋ)0 wrote in post #6811774 (external link)
I took more controlled tests. Here the pics:

wide open @ 50mm:

100% crop

wide open @ 17mm:

100% crop:

@ 17mm:

100% crop:

They look good bud. :)

sponsored links

4,891 views & 0 likes for this thread
Should I recalibrate my Tamron 17-50 2.8?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.