Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 14:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Accused of being a paedophile!!!

this thread is locked
gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,272 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 10, 2008 16:26 |  #61

12mnkys wrote in post #6852360 (external link)
... Approaching me the she did you would have set me into a frenzy and I probably would have called the police my self and had her for harrassment.

We as photographers have to draw the line somewhere and in this case the way it went down she clearly stepped over it. I love street photography and candids are one aspect of that. I love to shoot at the beach and sometimes there are kids playing in the sand and surf.

If we let these frantic moms get away with this type of harassment we stand to loose a lot of photo ops. I've never run into this type of situation but if I do I hope I have the presence of mind to calmly dial 911 and report that I am being attacked by a out of control mom. Someone other than me needs to educate her that taking pictures in a public park is still legal and not every male is trying to assault her kids. I would hope I have the stones to pressed charges.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
octospit
109 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 10, 2008 16:26 |  #62

when taking pics out in public, i usually wait for people to pass or try to frame people out of the shot. you can never know what's going to happen like in Mystery Machine's case. if a lady came at me the same way, then i'd most likely give her the same attitude. "treat others as you would like to be treated." come on be an adult about it. but then again anything can happen.

Our pictures are our footprints. It’s the best way to tell people we were here. - Joe McNally
Flickr (external link) RDOMINGCIL (external link) GEARModelMayhem (external link)

soccersnaps
454 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 10, 2008 16:28 |  #63

mystery machine............onc​e more, its not illegal in the uk to take such a shot.......however as its an image of a minor, permission is needed for use other than personal.

there are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 10, 2008 16:28 |  #64

So what about a photo taken in the UK and brought to the US and then put on a website? Law are so interesting. Thing is, none of them apply until the photos are discovered.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,965 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Dec 10, 2008 16:30 |  #65

Yes, the law in most countries allows publishing photos taken in public place, in editorial use, without subject's permission. But what Pete did was in my opinion a good moral choice. If subject specifically says do not publish or show this photo, then a photographer should not hide behind law and publish it "because I can", even if the subject was way out of line with her methods of saying "shooting my kids is not ok". We as photographers deal with people daily, this is a social art form. If you act like Paparazzi, then you may have a standard response Paparazzi's have. In most cases you can bring yourself to a situation, present yourself, take contact to people and in the end get to shoot photos of them in such a way that they will not think you're malicious in any way. People and social skill is an art form we need to practice as much as f-stops and framing.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,272 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 10, 2008 16:31 |  #66

advaitin wrote in post #6853106 (external link)
...but when you consider how many true perverts are out there, you have to have some understanding. ...

But that's the thing, there are not that many out there, not if you compare it to the general population. The media has mom's everywhere convinced that every male is a pervert just looking for the opportunity.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

soccersnaps
454 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 10, 2008 16:32 |  #67

and boy was he discovered

there are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 10, 2008 16:38 |  #68

gjl711 wrote in post #6853148 (external link)
But that's the thing, there are not that many out there, not if you compare it to the general population. The media has mom's everywhere convinced that every male is a pervert just looking for the opportunity.

Sad, but true. That's like New Zealand Air... every man is considered a pedophile and is not allowed to sit beside an unaccompanied child. Guilty until proven innocent? Not even! Guilty with no chance of proving innocence!!

It's pretty lame how paranoid people are getting. It's a very small % of people that are weirdos, but the media and activist groups make it FEEL like half the population are psychos.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

Mystery ­ Machine
THREAD ­ STARTER
300 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 10, 2008 16:40 |  #69

Pekka wrote in post #6853143 (external link)
Yes, the law in most countries allows publishing photos taken in public place, in editorial use, without subject's permission. But what Pete did was in my opinion a good moral choice. If subject specifically says do not publish or show this photo, then a photographer should not hide behind law and publish it "because I can", even if the subject was way out of line with her methods of saying "shooting my kids is not ok". We as photographers deal with people daily, this is a social art form. If you act like Paparazzi, then you may have a standard response Paparazzi's have. In most cases you can bring yourself to a situation, present yourself, take contact to people and in the end get to shoot photos of them in such a way that they will not think you're malicious in any way. People and social skill is an art form we need to practice as much as f-stops and framing.

I fully understand, but I didn't even have chance to take breath before being accused, threatened and nearly attacked...and I certainly wasn't acting like paparazzi....

As said from the beginning, I certainly had no bad intentions (I was actually out shooting wildlife ffs!) and didn't really have chance to react much under the torrent of abuse and flailing arms! The one and only reason actually I kept the damn photo was so that I could use it to ask opinion on wether it was 'paedophilic' material and therefore grounds for the reaction of the parent?

As I said before, it really makes me wonder if I ever want to shoot anything outside of my own home again for fear of a 'minor' being present in the background!

My FLICKR photos can be seen here - please feel free to comment.... (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 10, 2008 16:44 |  #70

picturecrazy wrote in post #6853196 (external link)
Sad, but true. That's like New Zealand Air... every man is considered a pedophile and is not allowed to sit beside an unaccompanied child. Guilty until proven innocent? Not even! Guilty with no chance of proving innocence!!

It's pretty lame how paranoid people are getting. It's a very small % of people that are weirdos, but the media and activist groups make it FEEL like half the population are psychos.

People are crazy. They act like socially unacceptable behavior started when digital photography started.

I guess there's no chance that perverts ever used to exchange prints or Polaroids, huh?

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,167 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 10, 2008 16:48 |  #71

picturecrazy wrote in post #6853196 (external link)

OTOH there are multiple stories of female teachers who slept with their students, even giving birth to their offspring. So what makes men such pariah on the NZ airplanes?! Oh, they admire such behavior in female teachers, I guess! :rolleyes:

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 10, 2008 16:49 |  #72

Wilt wrote in post #6853247 (external link)
OTOH there are multiple stories of female teachers who slept with their students, so what makes men such pariah on the NZ airplanes?! Oh, they admire such behavior in female teachers, I guess!

A solution in search of a problem... :rolleyes:

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

soccersnaps
454 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 10, 2008 16:50 |  #73

mystery machine..........shoot it, just dont publish it without permission..........ge​t it?

ryant35
Goldmember
4,389 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined May 2007

Dec 10, 2008 16:53 |  #74

I wouldn't have photographed someone else's kids in the first place. When I am photographing my kids in a public location I'm sure to make it known who my kids are and that I am photographing them.

And if I was confronted my a mom, if I did take the pictures I would delete them quietly and show her that I didn't even point my camera at them.

And if a responding officer doesn't know the law or decides you are causing a disturbance you can get yourself into some trouble. I know these charges won't stick and you could sue, but who wants to, volunteer to be a martyr and fight the man? You still have to get arrested, booked, and SEARCHED:shock:!

This woman assaulted you, and assaulted you with bodily fluids by spitting on you. At least in the US she broke the law not you. But is it worth it if the cop may side with the poor old woman and her 2 kids over the guy carrying a few thousand dollars worth of gear in the park.

5DMK4, 7DMK2, 24-104mm f/4 L, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS MK2, 17-40mm f/4, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 35mm f/1.4,1.4X & 2X TC III 580EXII
www.ryantorresphotogra​phy.com (external link)Photography Facebook Fan Page (external link)
flickr (external link)

Bill ­ Roberts
revolting peasant
3,079 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 10, 2008 16:54 |  #75

Pekka wrote in post #6853143 (external link)

Mostly I agree with what you say Pekka, and it's quite a balanced viewpoint, but there certainly is a danger that we just give in too easily to this kind of thing.

Taken to it's logical conclusion candid photography would be a thing of the past. And that would not be a good thing.

BiLL

sponsored links

27,774 views & 0 likes for this thread
Accused of being a paedophile!!!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.