Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 14:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Accused of being a paedophile!!!

this thread is locked
johnstoy
Cream of the Crop
6,646 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 12, 2008 02:05 |  #226

There are a lot of frightening occurrences happening out there, as portrayed in the daily media... Expect and be prepared for confrontation...
There are people out there from all walks of life...
Some are single parents, having a tough time managing their lives... and have concerns about their children's safety.

I'd hedge against the potential complaint by the parents, with a basic introduction, and often they'll offer to help participate in the activity/event.

I let the parents know, I'm taking photos... where they'll be posted, offer them a chance to get a copy, if interested... and essentially, when unannounced, I avoid close ups of children's faces...

Most recently, we had a town celebration... lots of activity in front of the local day care center...
Spoke to the school/daycare center owner... and the general consensus is that the pics are taken in public, and are safe to use in an editorial fashion.

In addition, ended up with some great portraits, as requested by interested parents and their children...And lots of general action photos of children participating in fun activities.

One of our community activities, conducted by the local police dept. was to fingerprint the children for a data base... in case of emergency, they could be quickly ID'd.

Thereafter, the events of the day are posted on my smugmug web site for all to see... While the children/parent portraits are discretely offered in another file by way of a password.

John Stoy

www.poconophotos.com (external link)
My Gear List
"Are you only Looking or actually Seeing", from Microbiology 101.

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 12, 2008 02:11 |  #227

johnstoy wrote in post #6862755 (external link)
There are a lot of frightening occurrences happening out there, as portrayed in the daily media...

May I respectfully point out that this is a key element of this entire discussion.

There are many things happening "out there" that are portrayed in the daily media in sensationalistic, headline grabbing, ratings mongering, blood soaked and utterly embelished fashion.

It ain't necessarily so...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 12, 2008 02:12 |  #228

johnstoy wrote in post #6862755 (external link)
One of our community activities, conducted by the local police dept. was to fingerprint the children for a data base... in case of emergency, they could be quickly ID'd.

Off topic but that's just a ruse to get fingerprints of as many people as possible in the criminal database.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 12, 2008 02:17 |  #229

cdifoto wrote in post #6862771 (external link)
Off topic but that's just a ruse to get fingerprints of as many people as possible in the criminal database.

I dunno about that...

I can remember this being done on a voluntary basis in Detroit area schools as far back as the 1970s.

Well before 9/11 and any "Patriot Act," "Everyone's a Suspect" hysteria.

I think it truly was meant to be the analog equivalent to what we might now call an "Amber Alert." A "fast" way to get an ID in case of kidnapping or worse.

Jay

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 12, 2008 02:24 |  #230

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #6862779 (external link)
I dunno about that...

I can remember this being done on a voluntary basis in Detroit area schools as far back as the 1970s.

Well before 9/11 and any "Patriot Act," "Everyone's a Suspect" hysteria.

I think it truly was meant to be the analog equivalent to what we might now call an "Amber Alert." A "fast" way to get an ID in case of kidnapping or worse.

They've been doing it forever. But it's for the criminal database.

You wouldn't get much voluntary participation if the clown was holding a sign that read, "Get your children fingerprinted here, so we'll know which crimes they commit in the future!"

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,491 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 12, 2008 02:26 |  #231

cdifoto wrote in post #6862771 (external link)

That is part of the inevitable and eternal tug-of-war between privacy and freedom on one side and security on the other. The tricky part is finding the best compromise.

Elie / אלי

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 12, 2008 02:27 |  #232

tzalman wrote in post #6862801 (external link)
That is part of the inevitable and eternal tug-of-war between privacy and freedom on one side and security on the other. The tricky part is finding the best compromise.

Personally, it didn't bother me to get printed. I had to get printed for the military too.

It just pissed me off that they found me so fast... :mad:

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 12, 2008 02:29 |  #233

cdifoto wrote in post #6862798 (external link)
They've been doing it forever. But it's for the criminal database.

You wouldn't get much voluntary participation if the clown was holding a sign that read, "Get your children fingerprinted here, so we'll know which crimes they commit in the future!"

That may be so but I don't recall the "system" being as suspect of the population at large as it seems to be today. I also happen to come from a family that had a Cop or two in it and while I know they weren't perfect (because they're human), at their core, they honestly did have a sense of duty to community.

Of course, I was just a kid so they were probably lying through their teeth...

<Shrug>

Jay

thebishopp
Goldmember
1,903 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 12, 2008 02:34 |  #234

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #6862812 (external link)
That may be so but I don't recall the "system" being as suspect of the population at large as it seems to be today. I also happen to come from a family that had a Cop or two in it and while I know they weren't perfect (because they're human), at their core, they honestly did have a sense of duty to community.

Of course, I was just a kid so they were probably lying through their teeth...

<Shrug>

You must have fogotten about the "mcarthy" era :-)

Generally much of the "suspicion" isn't at the local law enforcement level.

Most city/county cops have plenty on their hands than to worry about finding a "communist" or "terrorist" (these days) behind every door.

"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." My Zen (external link)

AndreaBFS
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 12, 2008 02:34 |  #235

In watching the coverage of the Anthony case in FL, I was comforted to know that not a single other child in her age group was reported missing in Florida in *at least* the last 6 months (they didn't comment on time prior to that. The media would have you believe that it's daily occurrence. When the time comes for this case to be closed, I can also be reasonably certain it won't be a stranger who goes to jail.

thebishopp
Goldmember
1,903 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 12, 2008 02:37 |  #236

AndreaBFS wrote in post #6862833 (external link)
In watching the coverage of the Anthony case in FL, I was comforted to know that not a single other child in her age group was reported missing in *at least* the last 6 months (they didn't comment on time prior to that. The media would have you believe that it's daily occurrence. When the time comes for this case to be closed, I can also be reasonably certain it won't be a stranger who goes to jail.

Sadly you are probably right... most "statistics" say, or so we were taught (back in 95) for this type of crime (among certain others), that one finds that it is usually a family member or someone known by the family.

"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." My Zen (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 12, 2008 02:37 |  #237

AndreaBFS wrote in post #6862833 (external link)
In watching the coverage of the Anthony case in FL, I was comforted to know that not a single other child in her age group was reported missing in Florida in *at least* the last 6 months (they didn't comment on time prior to that. The media would have you believe that it's daily occurrence. When the time comes for this case to be closed, I can also be reasonably certain it won't be a stranger who goes to jail.

Yeah and if you notice, in the Anthony case it's the mother on trial.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 12, 2008 03:00 |  #238

thebishopp wrote in post #6862832 (external link)
You must have fogotten about the "mcarthy" era :-)

Generally much of the "suspicion" isn't at the local law enforcement level.

Most city/county cops have plenty on their hands than to worry about finding a "communist" or "terrorist" (these days) behind every door.

What frosts me is the unwillingness of any level of law enforcement to admit that they could have allies with valuable skills right in their own back yards.

Speaking as a photographer and a pilot, I'm more than willing to work with the authorities to help observe and secure airports. I'd be the first to squawk if something appears out of the ordinary around hangars or aircraft parking areas and with a long lens, I can see a lot.

Instead, all we get (at least sometimes) is a hassle for wanting to be near an airport with a camera.

Hey Government Robots: Wake up and recognize that there are people who know a thing or three about how to keep an eye on the very thing you're trying to secure without burying everything in stuipd rules and regulations.

Jay

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 12, 2008 03:01 |  #239

cdifoto wrote in post #6862847 (external link)
Yeah and if you notice, in the Anthony case it's the mother on trial.

She's been suspected from day one hasn't she?

Jay

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 12, 2008 03:09 |  #240

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #6862917 (external link)
She's been suspected from day one hasn't she?

If you consider Day 1 to be the day they started suspecting her, then yes.
If you consider Day 1 to be the day her mom called the authorities, then no.

sponsored links

27,837 views & 0 likes for this thread
Accused of being a paedophile!!!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.