Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 29 Sep 2008 (Monday) 15:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gymnastics - New Season, New Thread!

constablebob
118 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 12, 2008 09:41 as a reply to  @ post 6481102 |  #136

Very nice series of shots; I'm working on it. Here's my graddaughter going "up and over" on the bar. She was overall champion in the competition.
Canon 50d, 135 f2 L, lighting was below average.
Bob

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
nhbeast
215 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 12, 2008 10:24 as a reply to  @ constablebob's post |  #137

Here's a couple from out first meet of the year, Rhode Island invitational... and I have never been in a more dreary gym... it was awful. But, here's a couple of shots of my daughter. Taken from the bleachers, as they had the floor blocked off so no face on the beam shot unfortunately. Maybe next time!

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

-Gregg
===============
7D /50D/Canon 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 2.8L /300mm f/4/ Kenko 1.4x extender/ Tamron 17-50 2.8 Gallery (external link)

felixapproach
204 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 12, 2008 11:23 |  #138

Nice shots Gregg. About 80% of my beam shots are from behind, but I love it when I do get one head-on.

40d w/ grip, 75-300 f4-5.6, 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 18-55 is, Bowers SFD728c, 160ws Flashpoint strobe

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 14, 2008 16:49 |  #139

Here are a couple from my nephew today. This location is terrible. ISO3200, f/2 and 1/400 is the light level and they do not give much access to the crowd. You cannot get within 25 meters of the rings or the bar, which is why this is shot so loose.

I prefer the shot of the floor exercise. I think he nailed this landing. He is level 6 this year.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

felixapproach
204 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 14, 2008 17:19 |  #140

Here are two of my level 6 yesterday. They had a Christmas show for the rec kids and had some of the team girls show off some skills. I've also been told that my youngest will be competeing level 4 next fall. That will probably slow down any new equipment purchases for a while.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

40d w/ grip, 75-300 f4-5.6, 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 18-55 is, Bowers SFD728c, 160ws Flashpoint strobe

Tosh-san
81 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 15, 2008 20:33 |  #141

Well, I hope I'm grandfathered in due to shooting a MK3 and 5D most of last season.
If not, I'm sure I'll be told. (^_^)

Guess we're late starters here in NY, because our season began Sunday night with the Big Apple Classic.
Our Level 6 team took first place, and my daughter and her close friend won a few firsts and the all-arounds in their respective age groups. A good night for the girls.

And a good night for me, as I was trying out a new rig this season.
After moving to Nikon and its D3/200vr combo towards the end of last year, I decided I wanted a lighter, more mobile rig.
So, last night I shot with the D700 gripped and 80-200 2.8 AF-S handheld.
It was liberating to be and feel so agile. I've only PP'd a dozen shots so far, but I'm satisfied.
Here are a few shots.

A classic present:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Some impressive flexibility:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Levitation?
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Advanced Levitation:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Concentration:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Leapfrog game:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Two happy tiara-wearers:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

GBRandy
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 15, 2008 21:17 |  #142

Number 5 is excellent.

1/500 @ f3.2 at ISO 3200. By my definition, that's decent light :)

GBRandy
---------------
GearList | Nikon 1977 - 2007 |

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 15, 2008 22:08 |  #143

Tosh-san wrote in post #6885821 (external link)
Well, I hope I'm grandfathered in due to shooting a MK3 and 5D most of last season.
If not, I'm sure I'll be told. (^_^)

I'm not one to judge... :)

What did you do with the old gear? Some of us would still like to be shooting with that stuff.

Nice work Tosh-san, do you perceive any improvement? Looks like ISO 3200 turned out quite nice!

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

Tosh-san
81 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 15, 2008 22:43 |  #144

GBRandy wrote in post #6886092 (external link)
Number 5 is excellent.

1/500 @ f3.2 at ISO 3200. By my definition, that's decent light :)

Randy,

It was the brightest light I've ever had at any gymnastics meet. :)
It was a newly set up gym, so maybe there's hope for us gymnastics shooters yet.
There were evenly spaced fluorescent lights, so I just set my WB to fluorescent and it worked well for me.

Tosh-san
81 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 15, 2008 22:56 |  #145

bwolford wrote in post #6886408 (external link)
I'm not one to judge... :)

What did you do with the old gear? Some of us would still like to be shooting with that stuff.

Nice work Tosh-san, do you perceive any improvement? Looks like ISO 3200 turned out quite nice!

Thanks, Brice.

I'm pretty good at buying used gear at a good price and getting most or all of my funds back when I sell. I always sell something before I buy something, so the fresh infusion of capital is kept at a minimum.
With the exception of my 200 2.8 Mk I lens, all my Canon gear is pleasing other shooters these days. I really love the first ed. 200 2.8 with its pull out hood, so didn't want to risk not finding a good copy when/if I return to Canon Land.

Shooting the MK3 with 135 2 vs. the D700 with 80-200 2.8, is a very close call. Faster Canon lens helps erase whatever high iso quality gap exists between the Mk3 and D3/700 sensors.
Like Randy, I'm hoping for a Nikon update to their 135 2. I might have to search for an f/2 or faster lens when I hit some of the darker dungeons. on our gymnastics circuit.

johndevane
741 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 15, 2008 22:56 |  #146

A question for you dedicated folks,

I've long admired your gym photos in silence, but I just have to ask... Why no flash? Or strobes? I assume it's a tradition thing, like in baseball, where it doesn't make sense (to me), but it just is. I hope this isn't an old question, but I've followed the threads and never seen the question asked. As a basketball shooter, I feel your pain on ambient gym lights, and I can't understand why you can't strobe a gymnastics event.

John

MKIII, 40D, XTI, 70-200 f/4L, 100-400L, 17-85 IS, 85 1.8, 100 2.8 Macro, 580 EX II, 550 EX, Bee's, PW's

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 16, 2008 05:27 |  #147

johndevane wrote in post #6886631 (external link)
A question for you dedicated folks,

I've long admired your gym photos in silence, but I just have to ask... Why no flash? Or strobes? I assume it's a tradition thing, like in baseball, where it doesn't make sense (to me), but it just is. I hope this isn't an old question, but I've followed the threads and never seen the question asked. As a basketball shooter, I feel your pain on ambient gym lights, and I can't understand why you can't strobe a gymnastics event.

John

They are never allowed, I think there is a belief that a sudden flash could cause an athelete to miss a move and perhaps not get their feet back on the beam or hands on the bar leading to a bad fall.

I don't know how realistic this concern is, but it is nearly universal and so there it is.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

sidx001
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 16, 2008 08:11 |  #148

JeffreyG wrote in post #6887845 (external link)
They are never allowed, I think there is a belief that a sudden flash could cause an athelete to miss a move and perhaps not get their feet back on the beam or hands on the bar leading to a bad fall.

I don't know how realistic this concern is, but it is nearly universal and so there it is.

I've never been to a meet where you could use flash. The judges are pretty strict about it as well. Some go as far as ejecting parents from the stands if they see a flash going off.

On the other hand, the no flash rule is a good thing for us...it gives us the perfect excuse to buy fast glass :D

James Smith
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=586230
My Gear

mkenney99
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 16, 2008 09:38 |  #149

Tosh-san wrote in post #6886628 (external link)
Thanks, Brice.

I'm pretty good at buying used gear at a good price and getting most or all of my funds back when I sell. I always sell something before I buy something, so the fresh infusion of capital is kept at a minimum.
With the exception of my 200 2.8 Mk I lens, all my Canon gear is pleasing other shooters these days. I really love the first ed. 200 2.8 with its pull out hood, so didn't want to risk not finding a good copy when/if I return to Canon Land.

Shooting the MK3 with 135 2 vs. the D700 with 80-200 2.8, is a very close call. Faster Canon lens helps erase whatever high iso quality gap exists between the Mk3 and D3/700 sensors.
Like Randy, I'm hoping for a Nikon update to their 135 2. I might have to search for an f/2 or faster lens when I hit some of the darker dungeons. on our gymnastics circuit.

Tosh-san - great shots! We just started our season last weekend too, so you are not the only one
(maybe it's a mid-Atlantic region thing...). Last year I think we were at the same meet in Atlantic City NJ.

Quick question (if you wish to reveal) - where do you normally buy and sell your equipment at?
I'm looking to upgrade my camera (using a lowly Rebel XT now), although I have to get a new one
first since I cannot risk being without one at this time of the year.

Cheers
Mark

Tosh-san
81 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 16, 2008 10:45 |  #150

Thanks, Mark.
Our team isn't going to the Atlantic City Starstruck meet this year. I think I'll miss the warm light of the ball room. :rolleyes:

I buy and sell at the Miranda forum, Nikonians, POTN and Nikon Cafe. Friends, and friends of friends, are also sources. I'll also occasionally buy used gear from keh.com and Jack's Cameras.

Here's a vault shot at 4000 ISO. No nr, but maybe it could use a dab. You just gotta love the advancements in sensor technology. :)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
:

sponsored links

91,104 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gymnastics - New Season, New Thread!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.