Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 11 Dec 2008 (Thursday) 22:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2009 - The announcement of the EOS mk IV's?

EOS ­ Chum
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 11, 2008 22:26 |  #1

Hi all,

I have recently been into one of the Canon authorised service centres to pick up my recently cleaned EOS1ds Mk II.

I got into a fairly detailed discussion with the guy about the relative differences between the slightly older model 1's and the newer models (say the 5 mkII). His view was that the 1's were 'losing ground' in terms of technology against the newer models - the 5 MkII and the 50D.

He said that while the 1ds Mk III was still an awesome body, Canon were set to announce a whole new revamp to their top of the line model - and possibly other in the 1 range especially after Nikon announced the arrival of the D3X recently (http://www.dpreview.co​m …specs/Nikon/nik​on_d3x.asp (external link))

He said the announcement was not due to be made until april at the earliest - but more realistically June.

Anyone else hear anything???

"Flying is easy - you just have to throw yourself at the ground and miss"

EOS 1Ds MkII, EOS 1n, 16-35 f2.8
L, 24-70 f2.8L, 100 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8L IS, 300 f2.8L IS, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX

sponsored links
dpastern
Cream of the Crop
13,765 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 11, 2008 22:35 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

This really should be in the rumours section ;-)a

Nothing surprises me - no doubt Canon will introduce new 1D and 1Ds bodies, probably with 20mp and 40mp sensors ;-)a

Dave

http://www.macro-images.com/ (external link)

brianch
Goldmember
1,387 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 11, 2008 22:43 |  #3

dpastern wrote in post #6861890 (external link)
This really should be in the rumours section ;-)a

Nothing surprises me - no doubt Canon will introduce new 1D and 1Ds bodies, probably with 20mp and 40mp sensors ;-)a

Dave

I hope not.. I think 20MP is enough to justify the cut in to medium format. There is no need to go further for 35mm digital in terms of resolution. I hope they concentrate in other innovations either then simply resolution. 20MP is more then enough. IMHO

Brian C - Alpha Auto Spa (external link)
5D Original
5D Mark II
EOS M

powerslave
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 11, 2008 22:46 |  #4

I don't know how close they already are, but they should definitely try to improve the dynamic range of the sensors as compared to film, if not better it.

flickr photostream (external link)
DP2 Merrill | 6D | TS-E24LII | EF24-105L | Fuji X-M1 | XC 16-50

AdamJL
Goldmember
4,365 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 12, 2008 05:50 |  #5

powerslave wrote in post #6861967 (external link)
I don't know how close they already are, but they should definitely try to improve the dynamic range of the sensors as compared to film, if not better it.

I'd like to see examples of where you think the top Digital cameras these days DON'T have the same dynamic range as film (and what do you mean by "film" because there are loads of variants).

Gear

Longwatcher
obsolete as of this post
3,908 posts
Joined Sep 2002

Dec 12, 2008 12:14 |  #6

since we are in rumors, I am holding onto the Mar 2009 timeframe for an announcement of a new 1-series, although it might take until August. and the actual release will be about 6-8 weeks later.

Unless it jumps to 50MP, I am not expecting a MP increase from the current 21MP. I do expect an increase in range both dynamic and ISO as well as frame rate from the 1DsMkIII baseline. I also expect them to add video (ala 5DM2) and make some other improvements and then lower the price a touch.

My number one wish of course at this time is they expand the selectable AF system out to the edges enough for full body portrait shots, without framing for crop or repositioning after focus.

Other then I am broke right now, which means I probably wouldn't get one anyway. If it doesn't have video, 16bit and better focus or something unexpectately fabulous, I will not even worry about getting one myself for the next get go.

"Save the model, Save the camera, The Photographer can be repaired"
www.longwatcher.com (external link)
1DsMkIII as primary camera with f2.8L zooms and the 85L
http://www.longwatcher​.com/photoequipment.ht​m (external link)

Persephone
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 20, 2008 13:15 |  #7

Nikon just took their potshot with the 24MP D3x and Sony has their A900. Canon HAS to respond to that in some way. It's what Canon does - cue the 14.7MP G10 and the 15MP 50D and the 21MP 5DII as prime examples. I expect 25MP at least from the 1Ds Mark IV. Unless Canon has chosen to try to beat them in other ways...

Gear list
"Do you think it was my choice to wed a man I did not love? Live a life I did not choose? I was betrayed by the very gods that once saw me as their own. But no more." - Περσεφόνη (external link), God of War

cyrn
340 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 21, 2008 04:44 as a reply to  @ Persephone's post |  #8

just hope Canon remembers that the 1series is for the pros whom appreciates better IQ over increased resolution.

Photoevangel (external link) - Spreading the Good photography.

brecklundin
Goldmember
2,179 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 21, 2008 13:33 |  #9

cyrn wrote in post #6919251 (external link)
just hope Canon remembers that the 1series is for the pros whom appreciates better IQ over increased resolution.

ummm...doesn't everybody? Who wouldn't prefer IQ over increased MP? Though I suppose many who do know understand there is a difference might.  :p

Real men shoot Pentax because we're born with our own Canon's!!
{Ok...ok, some of use just have a PnS but it it always makes me happy! :D}
Pentax K5, K20D, Three Amigos (Pentax FA 31/1.8 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 43/1.9 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 77/1.8 Limited Silver), Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited, Sigma 24-60/2.8

cyrn
340 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 22, 2008 05:31 |  #10

brecklundin wrote in post #6921048 (external link)
ummm...doesn't everybody? Who wouldn't prefer IQ over increased MP? Though I suppose many who do know understand there is a difference might.  :p

Hahaha... if many knows or understands... you'd wouldn't have those megapixel race in the first place...right?;)

Or canon marketing wouldn't have plonked a 15MP 50D into the market. While it's an excellent cam, it's a bit overkill on the resolution and file size.

ckrieg
71 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 24, 2008 16:58 |  #11

although mp isn't a true representation of anything really, there will always be people who say my "dingdong" is bigger than your "dingdong" haha

Business -> www.Wolfhomes.com (external link)
Pleasure -> www.colinphoto.ca (external link)

Canon 5D Mk3
17-40L | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 IS II

brecklundin
Goldmember
2,179 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 24, 2008 17:32 |  #12

ckrieg wrote in post #6940879 (external link)
although mp isn't a true representation of anything really, there will always be people who say my "dingdong" is bigger than your "dingdong" haha

I am constantly explaining this is not true at all...ya just have to learn to get the best outta the rig you have. :cool:

Real men shoot Pentax because we're born with our own Canon's!!
{Ok...ok, some of use just have a PnS but it it always makes me happy! :D}
Pentax K5, K20D, Three Amigos (Pentax FA 31/1.8 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 43/1.9 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 77/1.8 Limited Silver), Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited, Sigma 24-60/2.8

danielyamseng
Goldmember
2,036 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 02, 2009 04:29 as a reply to  @ brecklundin's post |  #13

If this is true then it'd be another round of waiting game, just like the 5D mark II:D

cyrn
340 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 02, 2009 13:46 |  #14

danielyamseng wrote in post #6986922 (external link)
If this is true then it'd be another round of waiting game, just like the 5D mark II:D

just hope that they (Canon) will not do a repeat of what they did to 5D2.... the AF must improve significantly.

Yes, I know that there are many that attest to the 1d3 Af being the best now... but hey we are talking about a perception.... just like how the hell can someone actually tell that 5D2 AF is better compared to 5D? :rolleyes:

sponsored links

10,020 views & 0 likes for this thread
2009 - The announcement of the EOS mk IV's?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.