Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 11 Dec 2008 (Thursday) 18:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Senior - Nicki - Book

jdouglas003
392 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 12, 2008 14:20 |  #16

Great Book!

Did you actually shoot all of the sports and location shots? How do you structure your pricing on something like this as it must have take you a lot of time to shoot, edit and put the book together.

http://www.movingexpos​ure.com (external link)
Portrait, Event, Sports Phtography (external link)

sponsored links
S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 12, 2008 14:28 |  #17

THAT is really good!

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 12, 2008 14:46 |  #18

Again thanks for the comments.

With respect to pricing and exact details I like to keep a bit of that somewhat confidential. I do charge a sitting fee that covers the first shoot, the first shoot is about 2 hours and includes studio and location. Then there are some reduced "sitting fee" charges for me to run and grab some "editorial" style shots of the kids event.

I have special pricing that includes prints and the book...I have a set number that I try to reach for doing each senior.

99% of my work is done through Style Creative Photography in Frisco. I've not updated the website in months (working on that as we speak). Hopefully by this time next week my senior page will have a very different look. Right now it is about a year old so there is not much to see.

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 12, 2008 14:49 |  #19

taygull wrote in post #6865863 (external link)
Again thanks for the comments.

With respect to pricing and exact details I like to keep a bit of that somewhat confidential. I do charge a sitting fee that covers the first shoot, the first shoot is about 2 hours and includes studio and location. Then there are some reduced "sitting fee" charges for me to run and grab some "editorial" style shots of the kids event.

I have special pricing that includes prints and the book...I have a set number that I try to reach for doing each senior.

99% of my work is done through Style Creative Photography in Frisco. I've not updated the website in months (working on that as we speak). Hopefully by this time next week my senior page will have a very different look. Right now it is about a year old so there is not much to see.

Please forgive my ignorance but: do you find that you have success selling more than one copy? Do extended family members often buy one as well as the subjects immediate family? Do other kids buy copies of each others books? Just wondering.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 12, 2008 14:51 |  #20

Great work, what a nice book :)

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 12, 2008 15:07 |  #21

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #6865884 (external link)
Please forgive my ignorance but: do you find that you have success selling more than one copy? Do extended family members often buy one as well as the subjects immediate family? Do other kids buy copies of each others books? Just wondering.

Yes and no...I've not seen other kids buying other kids books but it is not uncommon to sale multiple copies to senior.

McKinney, TX

thebishopp
Goldmember
1,903 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 12, 2008 17:40 |  #22

GREAT work! If you don't mind giving out a trade secret what is the cost for something like that?

"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." My Zen (external link)

Specialized
166 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 12, 2008 18:32 |  #23

thebishopp wrote in post #6866840 (external link)
GREAT work! If you don't mind giving out a trade secret what is the cost for something like that?

OP stated they'd like to keep the pricing confidential.

To the OP- Awesome job, really top-notch work there.

Im interested in the setup for the last shots, if you would care to let me in on that. =) Approximation would be great to lead me in the right direction..

www.flickr.com/photos/​specialized (external link)
30D|Canon 80-200mmf/2.8L|Canon 50mmf/1.8|Some Lighting Stuff|

thebishopp
Goldmember
1,903 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 12, 2008 18:39 |  #24

Specialized wrote in post #6867179 (external link)

Im interested in the setup for the last shots, if you would care to let me in on that. =) Approximation would be great to lead me in the right direction..

Whoops... sorry, didn't see that. I withdraw the question :-)

"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." My Zen (external link)

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 12, 2008 18:42 |  #25

Specialized wrote in post #6867179 (external link)

They are simple silhouettes.....I don't recall the exact settings but simply I put the main light behind her and exposed for that...I had her go through a sequence of poses...played with the white balance to get the warm glow.

IMO what makes these work is that they are in a tunnel so the framing of the shot really worked. The tunnel provided motion/depth to the image.

McKinney, TX

g-money
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 13, 2008 11:23 |  #26

Really great stuff, Any chance you would share any of your techniques on the textures and background, frames etc on a few of these. They are't numbered so I can't tell you specifically hopefully you understand LOL

Greg

Canon 6D X 2, Canon 5D, FUJI X100, Canon Rebel XT, Canon 24-70L VII, Canon 35L 1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Tokina 16-28 2.8, 580exII x2, Godox 850 X 2, 430ex

Website... [URL="http://www.gowen​sphotography.com"]Arkansas Wedding Photographerexternal link

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 13, 2008 13:07 |  #27

They are numbered if you look on the bottom of the page...on occasion though I have noticed that some browsers won't show the image numbers while viewing simpleviewer.

Some of the textures and backgrounds are things I've collected over the last year or so...some are variations I've edited from Photoframe 4.

McKinney, TX

RogerAylstock
797 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 13, 2008 13:32 as a reply to  @ taygull's post |  #28

Very nice collection of shots. I love the tunnel ones.

Roger
Canon 7D, Canon 24-105 F4L, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ISL, Canon EF-S 10-22mm, Canon 50mm 1.4,
Sigma 105mm DG Macro, Canon 1.4x Teleextender, Canon 580EX II Flash.
VintageCreekPhotograph​y (external link) Facebook (external link)

heathermarie
501 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 22, 2008 18:53 |  #29

Beautiful stuff here.. I'm also very interested in knowing where you got your textures I just love them!

Heather

jpsamora
335 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 22, 2008 20:08 |  #30

What an amazing set of pictures. Really captured her personality! Job well done.

1DX, 5D Mark IV, 5D Mark III, 7D Mark ii(gripped), Canon 6D(gripped), Sony A7rii, Canon 600EX-RT(2), Canon ST-E3-RT, Canon 400 2.8L is, Canon 100-400 4.5-5.6L is, Canon 70-200 2.8Lii, Canon 24-70 2.8Lii, Canon 14 2.8Lii, Canon 24-105 4.0 L, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, & Canon 85 1.8, Canon Extender EF 2X iii, Profoto B1 Location Kit.
Web:
http://www.jpsphotos.o​rg (external link)

sponsored links

4,005 views & 0 likes for this thread
Senior - Nicki - Book
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.