Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 16 Dec 2008 (Tuesday) 08:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Printing 101

Hedley
197 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 16, 2008 08:20 |  #1

Hi all,

whilst I'm sure I'm getting dpi, ppi muddled up along the way, I still seem to regularly print out photos at a slightly different size to what I expected.
Obviously the print wizards that insist on walking you through the process can affect the output size but even if I ask it not resize an image, it will often stretch it or only give me a certain number of size options, which aren't always what is needed.
What am I missing? Should I set a canvas size of A4 dimensions and take it from there....?

TIA

sponsored links
johncolby
139 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 16, 2008 11:43 |  #2

What setup are you using to print? (software, OS, printer,...)

Check my Flickr (external link)!

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,307 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 16, 2008 22:02 |  #3

I think (and I'm not trying to sound condescending) you may not be aware that your camera and your paper may be in different ratios.. You know they need to be the same, right? Your 40D produces images that are 3:2. Therefore you cannot print to any A sized paper without cropping, as A size papers are in the ratio of SQRT(2):1 (1.41421356)

For example, the largest sized image out of your 40D will be 3888 x 2592 (3:2) or (1.5).

Cropping your image to 3700x2615 (or anything with a ratio of 1.414..:1) should allow you to print without much stretching.

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

Hedley
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 17, 2008 07:33 |  #4

Brandon, cheers for that, but I'm aware of those issues and can cope with that side of it.
My issue is probably simpler than that - I just didn't explain very well.
If I had an image in CS3 that I had set to 15cmx9cm for example, and I try and print it on to A4 at that size (ie to fit a frame of 15cmx9cm) the final image will rarely be that size. It's as though it wants to default to one of a load of preset standard sizes - Resolution is not an issue. That's why I mention canvas size or to perhaps put a large white border around the image and print to A4 size, it just seems like an unecessary waste of paper...
(OS is Vista/XP, printers are HP)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 17, 2008 08:13 |  #5

Bear with me, because I have never used CS3, only PS7.

When I've finished the image processing and go to print with preview, all I see is the image set on the paper at a default setting of 100%. This may or may not be suitable and I have some decisions to make at this stage. If you are not getting something similar, then I'd suggest that you have your preferences set wrongly.

Are you perhaps trying to crop and using the crop presets by mistake? If so, by deleting (or changing) the figures in the boxes on the menu bar, you can crop to whatever ratios you like.

I personally don't like being tied to certain crop ratios, preferring to print the image at whatever suits it as a composition. If that does not completely fill my A4, A3 or whatever paper, so what? This means I never crop for printing.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,307 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 17, 2008 08:29 |  #6

Hedley wrote in post #6894950 (external link)
Brandon, cheers for that, but I'm aware of those issues and can cope with that side of it.
My issue is probably simpler than that - I just didn't explain very well.
If I had an image in CS3 that I had set to 15cmx9cm for example, and I try and print it on to A4 at that size (ie to fit a frame of 15cmx9cm) the final image will rarely be that size. It's as though it wants to default to one of a load of preset standard sizes - Resolution is not an issue. That's why I mention canvas size or to perhaps put a large white border around the image and print to A4 size, it just seems like an unecessary waste of paper...
(OS is Vista/XP, printers are HP)

It is a photo printer right? I've never had an issue with that.. If my image is the right ratio in resolution, a good ppi/dpi, and I choose print preview, I can select my paper size from CS4 or the print driver (whichever one, I'm not sure) and I click borderless, fill to paper (100%) and it comes out fine.

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 17, 2008 08:40 |  #7

While I don't recognise your problem, I am aware that somewhere, between Adobe and Epson, the idea of accurate size seems to have been mislaid.

I always get a very slightly smaller image than I expect. The difference is minimal, measured in millimetres, but its always there. If this is the issue, it's easy to solve. Just do a few experiments on plain paper and economy ink settings and play with the percentage figure in the print preview dialogue, maybe 101 or 102%.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Hedley
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 17, 2008 08:45 |  #8

BrandonSi wrote in post #6895186 (external link)
It is a photo printer right?

..... and I click borderless, fill to paper (100%) and it comes out fine.

Yes - it's a photo printer, however, the 'fill to paper' option is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I've been asked to fill some frames around town and I'm trying to make the printed images come out at exactly that size.
Lowner's idea seems the logical answer - just wanted to avoid a load of test prints...

sponsored links

1,336 views & 0 likes for this thread
Printing 101
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.