Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 16 Dec 2008 (Tuesday) 14:26
Search threadPrev/next

Working your model... 101

DwightMcCann
so, what are we talking about?
21,399 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 16, 2008 16:51 |  #16

M Powered wrote in post #6891152 (external link)
This topic has been discussed on MM many times. I think the conclusion is that its a waste of business card.

- Photographer sees hot chick, passes out business cards; most girls will play it off as a weirdo trying to "hook up" and use the "I'm a photographer" pick up line.

I would try this technique but most times if they show interest I'll charge them, which is kinda rude since your approaching them. Kinda like a model emailing you saying, "Hey I love your work, my rates are..."

Well, that's not much different than asking a MM model to do a shoot ... they are a very flaky group on average even if there are some who are professional. But in any case, some discussants on MM claim to have made some good contacts. As for pay, there are often situations where one would like to try out an idea without paying or being paid. Heck, I've got some locations at UCSB that are just dying for a couple of co-ed's to pose and the place is loaded with 'em so I'm probably going to try some cold calls when I'm out for lunch. Heck, maybe I'll do a calendar! :-)

Dwight McCann
Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)
Gear List - Concert FAQ - My Small Studio

Jason ­ Cole
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,902 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 16, 2008 17:08 |  #17

Thanks Mod, I thought all my typing might end up in a big joke for a sec there hahaha

Yeah finding models, see that's a tough one for a newbie.. for someone that's established its easier. Like around my area its well known what / how I shoot and I get a lot of work from word of mouth, but around other areas, im in the same boat as the rest of us.... actually im in the fortunate position of having TOO MANY models... lol so I can pick and choose...

If i REALLY liked a girls look I would give her a card anyways, business cards are cheap and there is a small chance you might actually get a call.. no harm in trying...

Now another approach is if you see a girl and you see her at the same time all the time (she might work in a shop - don't be a stalker!! lol) then get to know her. There is a girl in a local take away shop that I really wanted to shoot, but she was very stand off-ish.... over the space of a couple of months i went there regularly and got to know her, starting off with asking how her day is etc... then after a couple of months we were on a first name basis, she had actually been to my website and commented on how nice the girls looked... i offered her a shoot.. she accepted... another awesome model in the collection :-)

Another way of finding models is letting your wife / girlfriend / female friend approach the girl instead.. I have had a fair amount of success doing that...

Having said that, the web page on your card must immediately grab the girls attention.. if the first shot is a half naked chick you can pretty much guarantee she wont call you... on the other hand if its a nice portrait, the potential model will look closer...

To answer your other question, I always keep eye contact, but when im looking at a models body to see how the light falls, I always have a look of concentration on my face, that shows the model im looking at the light, not her D-Cups!!!

Cheers, Jason Cole
nfo@colestudios.com.au (external link)
Canon EOS 1DS MK III, L Series lenses, Broncolour Studio

Jason ­ Cole
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,902 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 16, 2008 17:12 |  #18

One other thing too, from a $$$ point of view, if you approach a model, then I don't think its right to charge her. Instead sell the photos, give her a cut (make sure you agree on it first) - get a model release going.... have a way of making something from the shoot... unless of course you just want to shoot her and try out some new stuff.... as long as there is benefit in it for both of you... hence that's why i rarely accept TFP, i don't need any more shots for my portfolio...and I run a business, im not a charity.

Cheers, Jason Cole

M ­ Powered
Goldmember
1,476 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 16, 2008 17:31 |  #19

DwightMcCann wrote in post #6891192 (external link)
Well, that's not much different than asking a MM model to do a shoot ... they are a very flaky group on average even if there are some who are professional. But in any case, some discussants on MM claim to have made some good contacts. As for pay, there are often situations where one would like to try out an idea without paying or being paid. Heck, I've got some locations at UCSB that are just dying for a couple of co-ed's to pose and the place is loaded with 'em so I'm probably going to try some cold calls when I'm out for lunch. Heck, maybe I'll do a calendar! :-)

Only difference between meeting models on MM vs in person is on on MM they just click on your avatar and see your work. That is unless you got one of those new holographic portfolio where they bend your business card and a hologram pops up displaying a slideshow for them to see. ;)

Canon 5D Mark III | EF 24-70 f/ 2.8 L II

http://www.keslertran.​com (external link)
http://keslertran.tumb​lr.com (external link)

RockSlut
780 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Dec 16, 2008 19:29 |  #20

M Powered wrote in post #6891378 (external link)
Only difference between meeting models on MM vs in person is on on MM they just click on your avatar and see your work. That is unless you got one of those new holographic portfolio where they bend your business card and a hologram pops up displaying a slideshow for them to see. ;)

I've transferred my portfolio into my mobile phone. Its great for when it comes up that you're a photographer and the other person says "well, are you any good?".

That way you can let them decide for themselves.

Angus
www.angusyoung.com.au (external link)
Movie Stills Photography www.production-stills.co.uk (external link)

babuszka
313 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 16, 2008 20:14 as a reply to  @ post 6891186 |  #21

Wow those are some great tips, thanks a lot.

charlesu
Goldmember
4,316 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Dec 16, 2008 20:48 |  #22

Great tips Jason. I would also add that if you talk to a model very matter of factly, it helps a LOT. This might sound obvious but I know a lot of guys struggle to get past the nudity and treat them like someone they might work with at the office.

Thanks for stopping in and having a look.
Prints of my work are available for purchase. Please contact me offline or thru PM if you are interested.

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,575 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 16, 2008 21:12 |  #23

charlesu wrote in post #6892529 (external link)
Great tips Jason. I would also add that if you talk to a model very matter of factly, it helps a LOT. This might sound obvious but I know a lot of guys struggle to get past the nudity and treat them like someone they might work with at the office.

Care to elaborate a little more?

MCSquared Photography (external link) on WWW
MCSquared Photography (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link) on IG
My name: Manish.

el ­ aye
131 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 17, 2008 00:49 |  #24

Very good post, thanks Jason!

M ­ Powered
Goldmember
1,476 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 17, 2008 11:07 |  #25

RockSlut wrote in post #6892067 (external link)
I've transferred my portfolio into my mobile phone. Its great for when it comes up that you're a photographer and the other person says "well, are you any good?".

That way you can let them decide for themselves.

I use the phone thing for social events that I don't want to lug my portfolio around. As far as meeting random chicks on the beach and showing them your port on your phone, not sure if I'll be doing that. Try it and let me know how it goes ;)

Canon 5D Mark III | EF 24-70 f/ 2.8 L II

http://www.keslertran.​com (external link)
http://keslertran.tumb​lr.com (external link)

RockSlut
780 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Dec 17, 2008 16:05 |  #26

M Powered wrote in post #6896066 (external link)
I use the phone thing for social events that I don't want to lug my portfolio around. As far as meeting random chicks on the beach and showing them your port on your phone, not sure if I'll be doing that. Try it and let me know how it goes ;)

Meh, I'm not into walking up to random chicks on the beach (or anywhere else for that matter).

However,my social circles put me in contact with a bunch of potential clients. Having my portfolio in my phone is just a handy way of demonstrating my work quickly.

I rarely lug my portfolio around unless I'm specifically meeting with a potential client.

Angus
www.angusyoung.com.au (external link)
Movie Stills Photography www.production-stills.co.uk (external link)

Jason ­ Cole
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,902 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 17, 2008 22:40 |  #27

Yeah same, i often show models my photos on my iphone... its a big hit... and it gets them interested.... good call man!!!

Yeah treating models like they are fully clothed is a good idea... it makes the models more relaxed and many of them seem ot forget they are even naked....

Cheers, Jason Cole

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,575 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 17, 2008 22:48 |  #28

Jason, does nudity constiture 'more' glamour, than non-nude photography? I'm just curious.

MCSquared Photography (external link) on WWW
MCSquared Photography (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link) on IG
My name: Manish.

GA_Teg
576 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 18, 2008 06:41 |  #29

Jason Cole wrote in post #6890327 (external link)
DVD 2 is officially in the making now. .

So where do we preorder. :p

Great tips as always.

5D Mark II, 5D w/grip, 30D w/grip, 350D w/grip, Kit lens, 580EX
16-35 F2.8L, 24-70 F2.[COLOR=black]8L, 70-200 F2.8L IS,
Canon 50 1.8, 28-135 IS, Tamron 28-75 F2.8,
Sigma 70-300 F3.5, Alien Bee/Novatron lights, and no money

charlesu
Goldmember
4,316 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Dec 18, 2008 06:50 |  #30

inthedeck wrote in post #6892688 (external link)
Care to elaborate a little more?

Sure. What I mean is that a studio is a work place. Just like an office, a retail store, a workshop, etc. I think it is hard for some new photographers to remember this when there is a hot nude model in front of them, but this is WORK. You have a goal in mind and you are working with others to reach that goal.

If you were working in an office with a team of people or just one other person, how would you talk to them about what you were doing? It's the same thing here.

You also have to be matter of fact when talking about 'naughty bits'. I have heard photographers use terms like 'tits and ass' and I can tell you, that just pisses most models off. By the same token, nobody really seems comfortable with clinical terms either. There is a happy medium. I usually call breasts, breasts. If a model constantly refers to them as boobs then I will use the term they do. Same thing for the other 'naughty bits'.

I often break the ice on talking about breasts and 'coochie' so that we quickly both become comfortable talking about them. Then it's easier to direct a model to 'cover your breasts' and so forth.

And the conversational tone would be the same as discussion making changes in a pivot table. Or, updating a proposal document. Or a project plan. Or, whatever it is you do in any other working life.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for stopping in and having a look.
Prints of my work are available for purchase. Please contact me offline or thru PM if you are interested.

17,309 views & 0 likes for this thread
Working your model... 101
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.