Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 23:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Your biggest photographic "regret". . .

irishman
Goldmember
4,098 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 17, 2008 23:27 |  #1

. . . be it that bargain camera you passed up or that once-in-a-lifetime shot you passed by.

Here's mine. In 1981, I was living in Wichita, Kansas, and in the classified ads of the Wichita Eagle-Beacon saw an ad that read "Original Ansel Adams print for sale. Appointments only." I minored in photography in college and Adams was my hero. My curiosity piqued, I made arrangements to meet with the owner and view the print. The guy was the owner of a restaurant that was going into bankruptcy (and avid photographer) and needed the cash. The print was beautiful, and all the documentation seemed in order. The price was staggering to me then---$500 for a photograph! And, it was one of my least favorite of Adams works. I thanked him for his time and passed on the print---"Moonrise, Hernandez, NM"---current selling price, either $57,000 or $75,000, depending on which series it was (the 1978 prints sell at a premium over earlier versions, darker blacks). Either way, I messed up big!:rolleyes:

Anyone with a similar story?

6D, G9, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 50 2.8 macro, Nikon 14-24G 2.8, Canon 16-35 2.8 II, Canon 24-105 f/4 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, tripod, lights, other stuff.

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 17, 2008 23:31 |  #2

<Can't Top That .. Subscribing to hear more tales of Woulda / Coulda / Shoulda... ;)>

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 18, 2008 02:35 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Starting photography a lot earlier than the late 20s

blipski
55 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 18, 2008 03:10 |  #4

Not having started photography when I was single. I started after having been in a relationship, so it took a while for the other to get accustomed to and 'allow' me to take my landscape photography trips. Had I started before hand, it would have been normal and not a problem to take a trip when I wanted to!

Oh and buying my 40D a month before the 50D was announced. Could of gotten it so much cheaper. Oh well, I love it to death.

Robbierob
Goldmember
1,339 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008
Location: The Orange Curtain (Orange County), California -USA

Dec 18, 2008 03:20 |  #5

mine isnt nearly as interesting...i started shooting in the 7th grade with an AE1. as i got older my college major was photography. i was in class after class with other young adults just like me. I watched their work become beautiful art and was over critical of my learning curve and gave up. it took me years to pick up an slr again and now I am middle aged and starting over.....
now im depressed ...this thread is one i shouldnt of posted on...oh well... we all come back to our love

It's nice to know that my ineptitude in the darkroom transfers over to the digital world...

Gear: Canon 50d (gripped)-Canon 10d (gripped)-Sigma 10-20mm-Canon 85mm f/1.8 -580exII-oldie EF lenses
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/robbie_rob/ (external link)

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Dec 18, 2008 03:28 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

I wish I got into video a lot sooner (wish I studied it straight away in university, instead of getting a couple of degrees first).

Then, I wish I had of started photography a lot sooner. I use to look down on photographers a little (being a video dude). Now I realise we're all brothers (and sisters) and there is a place for us all.

Peace man! 8)

I also dig photography so much now it's not funny. Spend all my spare cash on lenses etc. and am addicted to POTN... still, less damaging than some other drugs. ;)

I DON'T regret catching L fever.

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 18, 2008 06:36 |  #7

I wish I would have gotten into photography before I met my wife (gf at the time) so I could have shot some "models" (not sure how the wife would feel about that). But I was only a teenager back then anyways, and had no money for real camera gear. Oh well... I hope to shoot some weddings next year (perhaps as a second shooter) and do stuff like that while I still can.

I don't really have any regrets in regards to purchases. I've always sought out the best deals. I'm so happy that 40Ds are now in the $600-range... I remember when they first came out I thought it would be forever until I could get one.. now I'll probably get one before spring. :)

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

irishman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,098 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 18, 2008 10:38 |  #8

Robbierob wrote in post #6901246 (external link)
mine isnt nearly as interesting...i started shooting in the 7th grade with an AE1. as i got older my college major was photography. i was in class after class with other young adults just like me. I watched their work become beautiful art and was over critical of my learning curve and gave up. it took me years to pick up an slr again and now I am middle aged and starting over.....
now im depressed ...this thread is one i shouldnt of posted on...oh well... we all come back to our love

I hear you here. I gave it up about 1982 for family and career and started back up again. Different world. I don't, however, miss film. I never had the right film speed in my camera.

6D, G9, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 50 2.8 macro, Nikon 14-24G 2.8, Canon 16-35 2.8 II, Canon 24-105 f/4 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, tripod, lights, other stuff.

Roach711
717 posts
Joined May 2004

Dec 18, 2008 11:20 as a reply to  @ irishman's post |  #9

My biggest regret is my total lack of artistic ability. I do fine technically, but apparently was born without that bone that lets me create art.

---------------
50D, 100-400 L IS, 100 Macro 2.8, 24-105 L IS, 420EX, No talent

Shoot 'em all and let Photoshop sort them out.

Helena
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 18, 2008 11:30 |  #10

That I didn't have my DSLRs when we went to Vietnam and Cambodia a year ago. :( Even leaving 5D at home and only bringing 450D and a couple of small primes would have been much, much better than the P&S. I feel it when I look at photos from our other trips too, but not as strongly.

Flickr (external link)

PhotographersMate
20 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 18, 2008 18:42 as a reply to  @ Helena's post |  #11

So far I don't have a biggest regret but I hate that since I do a lot of photos at my work for free they are now expecting me to spend my own money on photo CDs and such when they were provided to me before. I do not do prints though. I used to just put them on the computers here at work with a thumb drive but we aren't allowed to use them anymore at work so I stopped. For the last few days people have been asking for photos and I ask for a CD to put them on or I will have to charge. I get a disgusted look from them and they walk away and say nevermind. Ahhh..military photo life..

Waddup Yo
http://www.modelmayhem​.com/SailorLaura (external link)

MattMoore
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 18, 2008 21:19 |  #12

Not getting in to photogrpahy sooner, not going FF sooner.

Zillon
256 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 19, 2008 02:13 as a reply to  @ MattMoore's post |  #13

So far... not backing up 5 years worth of photos that I lost when my HD crashed in May.

zacharyrepp.com (external link) / flickr (external link)
Canon 50D | Canon 350D | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L IS

irishman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,098 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 19, 2008 10:43 |  #14

Zillon wrote in post #6907313 (external link)
So far... not backing up 5 years worth of photos that I lost when my HD crashed in May.

OUCH! I lost a months worth once and was devestated. I'd like to say I learned my lesson . . .:o

Zillon
256 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 19, 2008 13:20 as a reply to  @ irishman's post |  #15

Yeah, I was in denial for about a month.

Luckily, I did have a "backup" method, as I uploaded a good deal of the lost photos to Photobucket, but it would be nice to have the RAW files from the last 2 years that I've owned my XT.

I also lost 3 years of P&S pictures.

zacharyrepp.com (external link) / flickr (external link)
Canon 50D | Canon 350D | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L IS

sponsored links

2,943 views & 0 likes for this thread
Your biggest photographic "regret". . .
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.