Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 18 Dec 2008 (Thursday) 10:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Challenge #2 - M45, The Pleiades.

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 18, 2008 10:01 |  #1

Hi all,

Congratulations to RLD for winning Challenge #1, with his excellent photo of the moon, Venus and Jupiter.

RLD's nomination for the subject of Challenge #2 is star cluster M45, The Pleiades, or Seven Sisters. (Also known as Subaru in Japan, so this is appropriate, what with Subaru withdrawing from Rallying recently.)

Don't worry about images you've seen in the past of M45. Deep exposures show glorious swirls of blue reflection nebulosity. But you don't need to reveal this to get a good image. M45 still looks good in widefield images, or as just a quick exposure revealing the seven sisters. (I took some shots at 600mm the other night, and was able to see the stars with very quick (sub 1-second) exposures.)

Here's a link to some details on M45 if you need them.
http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Pleiades_(star_​cluster (external link))

We've decided that images taken in the past are allowable, to try and get as many entrants as possible. You have to have taken the image yourself of course!

I was going to suggest we let this run until midnight on new years eve. Ideally it would be nice if we could get one challenge each month, starting on the first day of the month and ending on the last day. The winner of the M45 challenge will choose the target for February, while an additional target, (will perhaps take suggestions on what that could be), shall be the January challenge. Does that makes sense?

Anyway, good luck with shooting M45, (unless you're digging out a previous photo), and post the submission here.

Thanks, and Clear Skies,
Tim.

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

sponsored links
Sorarse
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 18, 2008 16:49 |  #2

Sounds good. Keep my fingers crossed for clear skies, as the only photo I have at the moment is of M42 (and several of the moon).

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 18, 2008 18:44 |  #3

Going from first of month to last would be a very convient idea . I have had clouds alot lately and alot coming up between now and the Jan 1 so i'll be lucky if i even get to scope . Maybe a WF if possible depending the weather . But however sounds like a good challenge even if i only get to see whats posted here .

chris.bailey
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Dec 19, 2008 02:11 |  #4

Sorarse wrote in post #6904689 (external link)
Sounds good. Keep my fingers crossed for clear skies, as the only photo I have at the moment is of M42 (and several of the moon).

Yeah I am up for this one IF we get some clear sky between now and then. Need a good night for M45 to have a chance of picking out some of those finer filaments.

strgazr27
167 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 19, 2008 08:06 |  #5

This was taken with my 7" f/4 Astrograph and the 40D.

Image Spec:

52 X 300 sec
ISO800
CLS/CCD Light Pollution Filter
7" f/4
Modified 40D
Stacked with Registar
Converted and calibrated in Images Plus
Post processing with PSCS2

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

Gripped 40D - 17-40L - 70-200 f/4L - Gitzo GT0531 Mountaineer - Astrotrac TT320X-AG
www.strgazr27.zenfolio​.com (external link)

http://www.stonyhillob​servatory.com (external link)

FarmerDave8N
126 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 19, 2008 09:41 |  #6

[QUOTE=strgazr27;69080​62]This was taken with my 7" f/4 Astrograph and the 40D.
HAH! As soon as I saw the target, I *knew* you were going to use this photo! Excellent. :)

flickr (external link)
my flickr favorites (external link)
astrojargon.net (external link)

FarmerDave8N
126 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 19, 2008 10:12 |  #7

Hmmm, munged the quote in that last message, and now it won't let me edit it. If a mod could delete it for me, that would be great!

strgazr27 wrote in post #6908062 (external link)

HAH! As soon as I saw the target, I *knew* you were going to use this photo! Excellent.

flickr (external link)
my flickr favorites (external link)
astrojargon.net (external link)

kaitanium
Goldmember
3,966 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 19, 2008 12:39 |  #8

strgazr27 wrote in post #6908062 (external link)

Image Spec:

52 X 300 sec
ISO800
CLS/CCD Light Pollution Filter
7" f/4
Modified 40D
Stacked with Registar
Converted and calibrated in Images Plus
Post processing with PSCS2

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

dannnnnggg. so i could do this too on my 8in cpc800? amazing!!
was that a combo of 4 hrs of shooting? (if i did my math right)

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 19, 2008 13:43 as a reply to  @ kaitanium's post |  #9

Wow, that's deep Bobby. Beautiful work.

Since this object is a better late fall object for the locations I shoot I likely won't get a chance in the next couple weeks to better my last attempt. My goal is to eventually get a good 5 hours on this one.

Takahashi Sky 90 II / Losmandy G-11 wGemini / Canon 20D(unmod) @ ISO 1600 / 26 x 240 sec. exposures unguided / Noel's Astro Tools

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i3.photobucket.​com …allery/m4508str​tchxx2.jpg (external link)

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

kaitanium
Goldmember
3,966 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 19, 2008 14:22 |  #10

O_O

BobOh
Goldmember
1,157 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 19, 2008 14:50 |  #11

Nighthound wrote in post #6909857 (external link)
Takahashi Sky 90 II / Losmandy G-11 wGemini / Canon 20D(unmod) @ ISO 1600 / 26 x 240 sec. exposures unguided / Noel's Astro Tools

Nighthound, I've seen it before in your posts. What do you mean by "unguided"?

Regards,
Bob
Gear: 40D, 7D, EF 100-400L, EF 28-135, Speedlight 580EX and other stuff.
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bobbolew/ (external link)

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 19, 2008 15:05 |  #12

BobOh wrote in post #6910275 (external link)
Nighthound, I've seen it before in your posts. What do you mean by "unguided"?

It means I'm not using any means of tracking correction, i.e. a guide scope/camera or by manually guiding. The mount is still tracking in sidereal, I'm just not assisting the mounts tracking software by sending corrections to help it stay put so that no movement is detected in the images. A very careful balance and alignment(and drift alignment) is necessary to get the mount prepared for unguided exposures. I also replaced my mount's factory worm gears with high precision gears and spent a lot of time getting them adjusted to where they are today. I'm only shooting at 407mm FL so 4 minutes unguided is not really a huge accomplishment, but I'll take it on those nights when I'm too lazy to mess with a guide scope, camera and laptop in the field.

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

BobOh
Goldmember
1,157 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 19, 2008 15:25 |  #13

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that extra correction is often needed for the tracking. Beautiful shots you post up BTW.

Regards,
Bob
Gear: 40D, 7D, EF 100-400L, EF 28-135, Speedlight 580EX and other stuff.
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bobbolew/ (external link)

Adrena1in
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 20, 2008 11:01 |  #14

BobOh wrote in post #6910458 (external link)
I didn't realize that extra correction is often needed for the tracking.

If you have perfect tracking then guiding isn't necessary, but it's hard to get it perfect. Having a second scope tracking a star, and feeding back to the mount to adjust accordingly, means you can pretty much expose for as long as you like and the target will remain stationery.

Oh, and sweet jeezHUZZ, those images are stunning you guys. :cool:

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

kaitanium
Goldmember
3,966 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 20, 2008 11:58 |  #15

i wanna be just like you guys when i grow up

sponsored links

6,895 views & 0 likes for this thread
Challenge #2 - M45, The Pleiades.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.