Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 19 Dec 2008 (Friday) 11:15
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Which combo would you pick?"
Nikon D700 + 24-70 f/2.8 + 70-200 f/2.8 VR
16%
Canon 5DMkII + 24-70 f/2.8 + 70-200 f/2.8 IS
84%

25 voters, 25 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera and glass for portrait type photography

telles75
Goldmember
2,184 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 19, 2008 11:15 |  #1

Ok, imagine you want to start to get in the business of photography and you will be shooting exclusively portraiture, glamour and fashion photos. 60% of shoots will be done in studio setting with strobes; 30% will be taken indoors (available light) and the rest 10% outdoors. The pics will range from head shots to small group shots (2 to 5 models at max).

You have all the lighting, support and accesories needed and you have US$5400 to spend in 1 camera and glass. Which of the following combos would you choose:

Nikon D700 + 24-70 f/2.8 + 70-200 f/2.8 VR (US$5,430 at B&H)
Canon 5DMkII + 24-70 f/2.8 + 70-200 f/2.8 IS (US$5,310 at B&H) *

(*The $120 difference can go to buy extended warranty, since the Nikon system offers 2 years in body and 5 years in glass, but Canon only offers 1 year for both body and glass).

Rafael T.
Nowadays I shoot Nikon, but deep inside I am still a Canon lover... plus Nikonians don't have a cool place to hang like POTN :)
Gear -Model Mayhem -external linkFlickr -external linkWebsiteexternal link

sponsored links
BscPhoto
625 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 19, 2008 11:24 |  #2

Canon and if you are planning on primarily shooting in studio portraits I would suggest a prime lens. Maybe the 85mm 1.2 L
The 24-70 although a flexible lens it may be a bit wide for portraits on a full frame body, when shooting in studio I would suggest using a prime.
With the money you have I would go with Canon gear.
Due to the 5D's 10.2mp sensor, I would suggest you either wait till canon releases their update or go with the 50D 12.2mp. Your right at a mid point where the 1D's are very expensive and the 5D will be obsolete in a short time. So you either buy a crop body or shell out the doe to get the 1D

•MEGAPIXELS are OVERRATED•

BSCphoto.com (external link)
Photography Blog (external link)

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 19, 2008 11:26 |  #3

Another thread? Really? Didn't you already pre-order the 5D2?

>>Nikon D700 + 24-70 f/2.8 + 70-200 f/2.8 VR (US$5,430 at B&H)
>>Canon 5DMkII + 24-70 f/2.8 + 70-200 f/2.8 IS (US$5,310 at B&H)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it would not matter. A good photographer will produce similar images with both. If you need very large prints or have high-res stock requirements, one is an obviously better choice.

This is like going to a Mac forum and asking which operating system would a person rather use... Vista or OS X?

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

JMHPhotography
Goldmember
4,784 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 19, 2008 11:48 |  #4

Hoff cracks me up... ;)

He's right on all accounts.

~John

(aka forkball)
Have a peek into my Gearbag. and My flickr (external link)
editing of my photos by permission only. Thanks

evolved
338 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 19, 2008 12:05 |  #5

BscPhoto wrote in post #6909024 (external link)
Canon and if you are planning on primarily shooting in studio portraits I would suggest a prime lens. Maybe the 85mm 1.2 L
The 24-70 although a flexible lens it may be a bit wide for portraits on a full frame body, when shooting in studio I would suggest using a prime.
With the money you have I would go with Canon gear.
Due to the 5D's 10.2mp sensor, I would suggest you either wait till canon releases their update or go with the 50D 12.2mp. Your right at a mid point where the 1D's are very expensive and the 5D will be obsolete in a short time. So you either buy a crop body or shell out the doe to get the 1D

maybe you missed the part where he said 5DmkII? And also... you put to much emphasis on megapixels...

telles75
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,184 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 19, 2008 12:06 |  #6

TheHoff wrote in post #6909039 (external link)
Another thread? Really? Didn't you already pre-order the 5D2?

>>Nikon D700 + 24-70 f/2.8 + 70-200 f/2.8 VR (US$5,430 at B&H)
>>Canon 5DMkII + 24-70 f/2.8 + 70-200 f/2.8 IS (US$5,310 at B&H)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it would not matter. A good photographer will produce similar images with both. If you need very large prints or have high-res stock requirements, one is an obviously better choice.

This is like going to a Mac forum and asking which operating system would a person rather use... Vista or OS X?

LOL... Sorry Hoff I guess I have too much time on my hands today (stayed home due to the snow storm outside). Yes I have pre-ordered the MkII and I do not have the $5400 to spend, this was a theoretical question :)

I have used the brick before on a 40D and to be honest I prefer the IQ from the 24-105 on a studio setting (I always shoot f8 to f16 so the faster 24-70 is not a seller for me, plus the IS on the 24-105 has saved my butt several times).

As for using primes for portrait shoots, I heard this many times, but lets just say in my personal experience the 24-105 and 70-200 have given me better results than the 50 f1.4, 85 f1.8 and 100 f2 Macro; plus the felxibility of a zoom is a big bonus. I heard however than on Full Frame bodies the story is different and the primes excel and beat the zooms so who knows now that I take the step to FF, I might purchase back my primes I sold.

Basically I started this thread as a poll which I didn't in the previous one. Body wise the D700 might be better for AF but the 5D MkII has native ISO 100 which is the only setting I use in studio (and I wished ISO 50 was native as I found my strobes to powerful sometimes for my type of shoot). That lack of ISO 100 native on the Nikon is almost a deal breaker for me (of course I can use filters to reduce the amount on light getting to the camera).

Concerning glass, from what I read the Nikon 24-70 is a bit better than the Brick but the Canon 70-200 is better than the Nikon counterpart. Since on a full frame body I am expecting shooting 80% above 70mm then the Canon makes more sense to me, the rest 20% maybe at 50mm for full body shots. Anyways don't bash me for this thread :( I was just curious as to what other people think... Take it easy on me Hoff ...hehehehe

Rafael T.
Nowadays I shoot Nikon, but deep inside I am still a Canon lover... plus Nikonians don't have a cool place to hang like POTN :)
Gear -Model Mayhem -external linkFlickr -external linkWebsiteexternal link

Haru
265 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 19, 2008 14:46 |  #7

Not trying to bash you or anything, but hoff is right. It won't matter. How many times to you open a magazine or walk down the street, see an ad with a model in it and say "that was obviously shot by a nikon." Or "See he was using a canon 70-200 2.8 IS." You seem to be knee deep in canon gear so I would just go with canon.

Gear: Stone slab, hammer, chiseL, and crushed barries.

smakelijk11
237 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 19, 2008 21:48 |  #8

I would choose the D700! :-)

Nikon D300, Nikon D80, SB-800, Nikkor 50 1.8, Nikkor 18-70 (Hope this won't be held against me :))
Canon Pixma i4300

BscPhoto
625 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 20, 2008 00:05 as a reply to  @ smakelijk11's post |  #9

I have to print poster size and banners on occasion. I also used to do photography for very large packages. So to me megapixels are a huge deal

•MEGAPIXELS are OVERRATED•

BSCphoto.com (external link)
Photography Blog (external link)

sponsored links

987 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera and glass for portrait type photography
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.