TheHoff wrote in post #6909039
Another thread? Really? Didn't you already pre-order the 5D2?
>>Nikon D700 + 24-70 f/2.8 + 70-200 f/2.8 VR (US$5,430 at B&H)
>>Canon 5DMkII + 24-70 f/2.8 + 70-200 f/2.8 IS (US$5,310 at B&H)
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it would not matter
. A good photographer will produce similar images with both. If you need very large prints or have high-res stock requirements, one is an obviously better choice.
This is like going to a Mac forum and asking which operating system would a person rather use... Vista or OS X?
LOL... Sorry Hoff I guess I have too much time on my hands today (stayed home due to the snow storm outside). Yes I have pre-ordered the MkII and I do not have the $5400 to spend, this was a theoretical question
I have used the brick before on a 40D and to be honest I prefer the IQ from the 24-105 on a studio setting (I always shoot f8 to f16 so the faster 24-70 is not a seller for me, plus the IS on the 24-105 has saved my butt several times).
As for using primes for portrait shoots, I heard this many times, but lets just say in my personal experience the 24-105 and 70-200 have given me better results than the 50 f1.4, 85 f1.8 and 100 f2 Macro; plus the felxibility of a zoom is a big bonus. I heard however than on Full Frame bodies the story is different and the primes excel and beat the zooms so who knows now that I take the step to FF, I might purchase back my primes I sold.
Basically I started this thread as a poll which I didn't in the previous one. Body wise the D700 might be better for AF but the 5D MkII has native ISO 100 which is the only setting I use in studio (and I wished ISO 50 was native as I found my strobes to powerful sometimes for my type of shoot). That lack of ISO 100 native on the Nikon is almost a deal breaker for me (of course I can use filters to reduce the amount on light getting to the camera).
Concerning glass, from what I read the Nikon 24-70 is a bit better than the Brick but the Canon 70-200 is better than the Nikon counterpart. Since on a full frame body I am expecting shooting 80% above 70mm then the Canon makes more sense to me, the rest 20% maybe at 50mm for full body shots. Anyways don't bash me for this thread I was just curious as to what other people think... Take it easy on me Hoff ...hehehehe