Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 20 Dec 2008 (Saturday) 01:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

"Best" Canon lens?

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 20, 2008 01:02 |  #1

I know this may be a silly question, but I was just thinking. What is the absolute best lens from canon? Regardless of focal length or aperture. The one lens you would use if you were trying to demonstrate the best possible output from a Canon camera. (How ever you want to interpret that I guess.)

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sponsored links
beepclick
Goldmember
1,850 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 20, 2008 01:05 |  #2

Not the coolest lens. Not the lens with the sickest aperture. Not the lens with the 'look at that!' factor. But, my vote is: 70-200 F4L IS

Gear https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=635450

tripsis
74 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 20, 2008 01:10 |  #3

Well it's a hard question since different lenses are used for different things.. but I'd probably say the 70-200mm line.

Canon XSi | 18-55 IS (kit) | 100mm 2.8 Macro
- DeviantArt (external link) - Gear -

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 20, 2008 01:10 |  #4

300mm f/2.8L IS or 400mm f/2.8L IS

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 20, 2008 01:17 |  #5

Define 'best'.

Sharpest? Nicest qualities like bokeh/contrast/colour? Focusing ability?

Pure sharpness: Any macro lens, 200 f/2, 300 2.8.
Overall qualities: 200 f/2, 300 2.8, 85L.

Re: the 70-200 line. Not a chance in hell. They're good, but no zooms come even close to the best primes.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

FLYH2O
129 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 20, 2008 01:21 |  #6

70-200 2.8

40D, 50mm 1.4, EFS 10-22mm, 28-70 2.8 L , 24-105L 4.0 IS , 70-200 2.8L. Speedlite 430EX II. Canon G12, Sony HDR-SR12 .
Canon G5X

Brett ­ Markham ­ Photo
371 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 20, 2008 01:22 |  #7

35L?

-Brett
5D | 6D | 24L - 35L
- Takumar 50 - 85 - 135L
Metro Detroit Wedding Photographer
brettmarkhamphoto.com

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 20, 2008 01:22 |  #8

If sharpness is the benchmark, I'd stop the 135L down to about f/5.6 & call it a day. Something else might be better, but no one would be able to tell. Their eyes would implode from the strain of trying to find the minute differences.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Perry ­ Ge
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 20, 2008 01:24 |  #9

FLYH2O wrote in post #6913549 (external link)
70-200 2.8

Not even close. Owning a lens doesn't make it the best Canon has to offer.

Mooseknuckle wrote in post #6913561 (external link)
35L?

Nope. It's relatively soft wide open (compared to the best).

Having said that, I'm buying one soon :p, man that's a sweet, sweet lens.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

Perry ­ Ge
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 20, 2008 01:25 |  #10

cdifoto wrote in post #6913563 (external link)
If sharpness is the benchmark, I'd stop the 135L down to about f/5.6 & call it a day. Maybe the 85L would be better, but no one would be able to tell. Their eyes would implode from the strain of trying to find the minute differences.

I don't know if the 85L would be better than the 135L in terms of sharpness. It is incredibly sharp at f/1.2 though, almost unbelievably so. At f/5.6, you wouldn't be able to tell anyway, you'd only be able to tell the difference by the focal length and bokeh.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 20, 2008 01:28 |  #11

That's what I figure. If I'm trying to show the best a camera body can do, I'm not going to be messing about with wide open apertures anyway.

Then again, there's no point trying to demonstrate sharpness of a camera body. That's primarily a lens function.

So, OP, what about the body are you trying to test? High ISO? AI Servo Focus Speed? One-Shot Focus Speed? Focus Accuracy? Low-Light Focus Ability? Max Chimp-Speed? Crush Test?

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Perry ­ Ge
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 20, 2008 01:29 |  #12

cdifoto wrote in post #6913591 (external link)
That's what I figure. If I'm trying to show the best a camera body can do, I'm not going to be messing about with wide open apertures anyway.

Unless you wanna show off bokeh. Mmm...creamy.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 20, 2008 01:31 |  #13

perryge wrote in post #6913597 (external link)
Unless you wanna show off bokeh. Mmm...creamy.

But that's not demonstrating what the camera can do. That's demonstrating what the lens can do.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 20, 2008 01:32 |  #14

IMHO, if you really want to demonstrate what a camera can do, go to DxOMark and measurbate their lenseless numbers & charts.

It doesn't mean crap to me but it eliminates the lens variable.

Perry ­ Ge
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 20, 2008 01:33 |  #15

cdifoto wrote in post #6913603 (external link)
But that's not demonstrating what the camera can do. That's demonstrating what the lens can do.

Well if you really wanna show off what the camera can do, you need non-Canon lenses. No Canon lens lives up to the best manual focus glass out there - that Japanese glass just doesn't hold up against the Germans.

Some nice german APO glass'll do nicely. Voigtlander APO-Lanthar SL 125mm f/2.5 Macro should do it. That or the coastal optics 60mm f/4 APO Macro.

sponsored links

3,773 views & 0 likes for this thread
"Best" Canon lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.