Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 19 Dec 2008 (Friday) 10:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I just don't get it....

Coffee999
259 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 19, 2008 10:58 |  #1

The short question is: When you send a file into say Proex to get printed, why is it always cropped?

The last 3 times I brought my files into Proex and had printed, they are always cropped a little. I asked one worker there and she said if you are making a 5X7 lets say, crop them to 5.2X7.2, then they should come out how you want them. Didn't work. Then I asked another worker there and she said everything gets cropped a little no matter how you format them.

What I want is to have the prints come out exactly like my file shows. Is there NO way to do this? Is this like the biggest mystery in photo finishing or something? Is there a photo finishing 101 I can get my hands on? Heck my cheap printer at home can do it, but the quality isn't there.

Thanks for any help

sponsored links
Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 19, 2008 11:12 |  #2

Welcome to the frustrations of trying to get other people to print your work.

Its exactly why so many of us are prepared to spend money to get the quality and the control over our images we want by printing them ourselves.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

chestercopperpot
996 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 19, 2008 13:46 |  #3

I'm not sure what Proex is to be honest, but there are many labs out there where this won't be a problem. I use WHCC all the time and find the quality and customer service to be excellent. My suggestion is to find another printing place!

Michael
5D Mark III
16-35mm 2.8L II; 35mm 1.4L; 85 1.2L II; 70-200 2.8L IS II

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 19, 2008 13:50 |  #4

I've never heard of proex either.. WHCC has very good reputation, and I've never had any problems with larger prints (I do 8x10 and smaller at home) that I send off to mpix.

[ www (external link)ยท flickr (external link)]

Coffee999
THREAD ­ STARTER
259 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 19, 2008 15:32 as a reply to  @ BrandonSi's post |  #5

Proex is associated with of Ritz Camera called Ritzpix.

queenbee288
Cream of the Crop
5,610 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Dec 20, 2008 09:01 |  #6

Coffee999 wrote in post #6910496 (external link)
Proex is associated with of Ritz Camera called Ritzpix.

Nuff said. That explains it all. :rolleyes:

jsinon
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 20, 2008 09:04 |  #7

WHCC has always sent me back just what I sent them. No additional, and unwanted, cropping. I've also heard good things about MPIX too.

Fuji X-T2, Fuji X-Pro1, XF18-55, XF10-24, XF50-140
http://www.jeffsinon.c​om/ (external link)
http://jeffsinonphotog​raphy.wordpress.com/ (external link)

S.E.V.
/Include subdirectories, empty directories, and verify.
3,866 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 20, 2008 10:02 |  #8

Because the original size of the image is not the same ratio as the size of the print you want, it is called the aspect ratio.

Here found and copied this ff of mpix:

Why can I not print my full image?
We are unable to offer a full frame printing feature. It is mathematically impossible for our printers to avoid cropping on files that do not meet the aspect ratio of the print size ordered. We suggest ordering print sizes (example: 8x12 vs. 8x10) that allow more cropping room. The red crop box will show you how your image will be printed.

Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(i​mage (external link))

ShotsInTime (external link) / Gear List /Flickr (external link) / Canon Family Portrait (external link)
- Don't Argue With A Stupid Person, They Will Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Coffee999
THREAD ­ STARTER
259 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 20, 2008 11:58 |  #9

S.E.V. wrote in post #6914743 (external link)
Because the original size of the image is not the same ratio as the size of the print you want, it is called the aspect ratio.

Here found and copied this ff of mpix:

Why can I not print my full image?
We are unable to offer a full frame printing feature. It is mathematically impossible for our printers to avoid cropping on files that do not meet the aspect ratio of the print size ordered. We suggest ordering print sizes (example: 8x12 vs. 8x10) that allow more cropping room. The red crop box will show you how your image will be printed.

Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(i​mage) (external link)

Actually, it is the same. I cropped to a 5x7, ordered a 5x7, and the paper is 5x7.

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 20, 2008 18:00 |  #10

Coffee999 wrote in post #6915243 (external link)
Actually, it is the same. I cropped to a 5x7, ordered a 5x7, and the paper is 5x7.

If you cropped to a 5x7 and they couldn't deliver a 5x7 print without additional cropping, you need to go to a different lab.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 20, 2008 20:30 |  #11

+1 above

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my right hand!" Steven Wright

BigDaveE
218 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 21, 2008 01:54 as a reply to  @ poloman's post |  #12

Actually, I've heard of several places that do this...

Here's why -

* Most labs have their printers set up to increase the size of each image by 1-2%. This expands the image beyond the borders of the paper. The reason is to prevent a white strip from being printed along one or more edges if the paper is not perfectly aligned within the feed path.

*The default cropping is set to compensate for worst case paper alignment. Most labs have printers that are more carefully adjusted than this. The default level of cropping therefore needlessly chops the edges off prints.

*Cropping can be minimized by adding a thin border around the edges of each image (increasing the canvas size). When printed, the borders are cropped off, preserving more of your original images
You can read the full explanation here -

http://www.drycreekpho​to.com …sing_printer_pr​ofiles.htm (external link)

Scroll down to the Print Cropping section...

It also gives the math for how much to expand the canvas size on your prints to get rid of this cropping, although it's for specific printers... But you can do the math on your own...

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 21, 2008 06:52 |  #13

Coffee999,

"Actually, it is the same. I cropped to a 5x7, ordered a 5x7, and the paper is 5x7".

Printing at home and wanting borderless prints, it is normal to make the image about 3 mm bigger all round, just to make sure that the printing does not leave annoying white edges on one or more sides. BigDave E's explanation of the logic behind the problem makes a lot of sense to me.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,498 views & 5 likes for this thread
I just don't get it....
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.