Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 20 Dec 2008 (Saturday) 17:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

macro flash question....

Joemess
39 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 20, 2008 17:32 |  #1

Hey folks,

I am interested in purchasing a flash for dedicated macro work. I shoot a 30D and have the 100:2.8 and the 60:2.8 lens for macro work... Up until now I have just waited on a bright day to get out and shoot but now I would like to get a flash.

out of the MR-24 and the MT 14, which is more bang for the buck. Both of them are pricey, however if they are worth the investment I am fine with that.

Also, I would like to use this flash on a 28-135 that is typically used for photographing flowers for research (I am a botanist).

link to specifications of each.
http://****/9vhvzm (external link)

Andrew

There is no better high than discovery.
E. O. Wilson

sponsored links
Samgoit
826 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 20, 2008 17:57 |  #2

If you check the macro section, you'll find that a lot of macro shooters use a speedlite on some sort of bracket that moves the flash out near the front of the lens. In fact, there are some who prefer to work that way. Of course there are others who love the rings. Just an option.

See this:
https://photography-on-the.net …5367&highlight=​ring+macro

Pay particular attention to LordV's posts. He is one of the best macro shooters on this forum.

Here's a whole thread, showing members' rigs:
https://photography-on-the.net …2566&highlight=​show+macro

Just a point: Many macro shooters are bug people. You're a botanist, so there may be some advantages to rings over speedlites in that area that I'm not aware of.

jeromego
Goldmember
3,906 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 20, 2008 21:42 |  #3

Joemess wrote in post #6916760 (external link)
Hey folks,

I am interested in purchasing a flash for dedicated macro work. I shoot a 30D and have the 100:2.8 and the 60:2.8 lens for macro work... Up until now I have just waited on a bright day to get out and shoot but now I would like to get a flash.

out of the MR-24 and the MT 14, which is more bang for the buck. Both of them are pricey, however if they are worth the investment I am fine with that.

Also, I would like to use this flash on a 28-135 that is typically used for photographing flowers for research (I am a botanist).

link to specifications of each.
http://****/9vhvzm (external link)

Andrew

you can also get a canon speedlight 580ex2 or any other speedlight and use a kirk photo flash bracket. this is what i use and it works fine. but im sure there are other macro brackets out there thats cheaper than the dedicated ones plus you can also get to use the speedlight for some other purpose beside macro photography.

Jerome
Gear List
Canon CPS Member
www.lightsandimages.co​m (external link)
facebook (external link)

brecklundin
Goldmember
2,179 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 20, 2008 21:48 |  #4

one of the members here has a nice comparison of the MR-14EX verses the MT-24EX:

http://dalantech.devia​ntart.com …rses-the-MT-24EX-85238984 (external link)

I just found it last night and it answered a few questions I had about the two. I haven't decided which I will use but for now I am just using a standard off-camera flash, the 430EX II. I figure I'll either add a 580EX II next year along with a dual flash bracket or just go with the MT-24EX if I run across a deal.

Real men shoot Pentax because we're born with our own Canon's!!
{Ok...ok, some of use just have a PnS but it it always makes me happy! :D}
Pentax K5, K20D, Three Amigos (Pentax FA 31/1.8 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 43/1.9 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 77/1.8 Limited Silver), Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited, Sigma 24-60/2.8

tripsis
74 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 20, 2008 21:49 |  #5

If you want a dedicated macro flash and don't want to have to use a flash bracket with a regular speedlight (580 ex or 430 ex are popular choices), then I would get the MR-24. The MT 14 tends to produce more 'flat' images. You have a lot more flexibility with the MR-24. As you said, they're both pretty pricey, so as long as you're comfortable with dealing out that much money for a flash, you might as well get the best one, in my opinion.

But if you do get the MR-24, make sure you buy diffusers also. If you use the flash without diffusers, the light will be very harsh. A popular choice are Gary Fong Puffer diffusers.

Canon XSi | 18-55 IS (kit) | 100mm 2.8 Macro
- DeviantArt (external link) - Gear -

J ­ Rabin
Goldmember
1,496 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Dec 20, 2008 21:49 as a reply to  @ Samgoit's post |  #6

Andrew.
You will get many opinions on this subject, but as a person who takes photos of plant materials for work, and has spent money on the topic, I will express an opinion...

Given a choice, I do not like either the 24EX or the 14EX for this work. One of the first criteria is that EFFECTIVE size of the flash should be larger than the subject. The 24EX is excellent for hand-held pursuing of insects in the field, but not always for larger plant materials in situ. While 24EX is decent (I own one), for flowers, a person needs to also carry a flash to illuminate the background because flash power fall-off is so rapid a closeup distance (unless you are aiming for the black background look). Background can be illuminated with any Canon EX flash used as a wireless slave. You set Custom Function 5 on the 24 EX, let the wireless slave be in Channel C, non-metered background. But, by the time you have the 24EX and a slave, you're into some serious coin.

The second criteria is we frequently must REDUCE the contrast (reduce "subject brightness range" between highlights and shadows) on a flower subject, and directly behind the subject. This means a 12" or 20" collapse-able 1-stop translucent diffuser for $18 frequently has more utility than a $600 flash in yielding a good photo! Really good for slight under exposure which is required to yield full saturation of colors, just like shooting slide transparencies, and also for white flower petels. There is a reason why flower photographers all carry them: http://www.naturephoto​graphers.net/np101/je0​804-1.html (external link)

I would start with a pair of collabse-able diffusers, one translucent and one white/silver before buying any flash. Sometimes that's all that's needed to obtain an accurate documentary photo. I like the small Lastolite tri-grip best for field work, but any cheap one will do as long as you can keep it where you want. Wind is a big enemy.

For flash? I know it's a lot to carry, but my favorite rig is Quantum QFlash, with a portable softbox, mounted on a stand next to the camera, and connected via a TTL cord. Reflector provides fill. My 24EX sits around unused, unless handheld bug hunting. The QFlash does plant photos in the field (as long as walking distance to a car).

I know Quantum rig can be well over a grand, but I was in Allen's camera in Levittown, PA (where I get used gear), and he had just taken in a used QFlash T-5d-R, battery, hotshoe Canon TTL adaptor, and a portable softbox. Wanted about $750 for about $1,350 in gear. Allen's is a good business place for this used stuff.

Just one person's opinion. Jack

sponsored links

830 views & 0 likes for this thread
macro flash question....
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.