Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 22 Mar 2006 (Wednesday) 13:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon TS-E24mm f/3.5L

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,203 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 23, 2008 01:31 |  #121

MaDProFF wrote in post #6925182 (external link)
Has anyone found this lens to be soft in use?

Only had it a short while & haven't really had time to play (I'm dedicating the next month to get the hang of it!) but un-tilted/shifted, I haven't got any complaints.

The colour rendition is a bit better in my eyes than my other lens in this focal length (Sigma 18-50 2.8 DG).

I am using it on a 30D, so with a combination of my poor eyes and the small veiwfinder, I need time to get the focus right (which is slightly missed in this shot)

Overall, I like it.

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/mark_vuleta/image/107087390.jpg

Cheers

Mark

sponsored links
OL9245
Goldmember
1,778 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 23, 2008 05:29 |  #122

MaDProFF wrote in post #6925182 (external link)
Has anyone found this lens to be soft in use?

Yes.
Canon should upgrade this lens, as Ni#on did.

Gear list. Photoshop tips and tricks I've learned here at POTN.
English is not my native language. Once and then, I can make funny sentences :shock:
learn more about my avatar

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 26, 2008 13:01 |  #123

Well I finally went for one, and took it out today,

Great Fun, HUGE learning Curve, with bags of potential :)

Will try and add a few more, when I sorted them out

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Photographic Images on Brett Butler (external link) px500 (external link) & Flickr (external link) Some Canon Bodies , few blackish lenses, A dam heavy black one, couple dirty white ones, a 3 legged walking stick, a mono walking stick, and a bag full of rubbish :oops:
And Still Learning all walks of life, & most of all Photography.

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 28, 2008 05:28 |  #124

The sort of shot you would expect to see with this lens, it is amazing how many variations you have with the outcome of a photo with this lens

HOSTED PHOTO

Photographic Images on Brett Butler (external link) px500 (external link) & Flickr (external link) Some Canon Bodies , few blackish lenses, A dam heavy black one, couple dirty white ones, a 3 legged walking stick, a mono walking stick, and a bag full of rubbish :oops:

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,203 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 29, 2008 00:36 |  #125

Nice Brett, the last one though is perhaps a little over corrected? Did you have a level on the camera?

I have got one but after recent attempts with my TS, decided to check the level & it's well out (what can you expect for $7.50 :rolleyes::oops:)

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 29, 2008 07:58 |  #126

Mark Vuleta wrote in post #6961467 (external link)
Nice Brett, the last one though is perhaps a little over corrected? Did you have a level on the camera?

I have got one but after recent attempts with my TS, decided to check the level & it's well out (what can you expect for $7.50 :rolleyes::oops:)

Why do you think it is over corrected? the cars, ?

That was hand held as well, I just look in the viewfinder and look for a line that I feel should be horizontal and a line vertical

Scuff
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 29, 2008 11:11 |  #127

MaDProFF wrote in post #6962371 (external link)

That was hand held as well, I just look in the viewfinder and look for a line that I feel should be horizontal and a line vertical

There appears to be a slight over correction. It is often more noticeable as it is not what the eye sees when looking at tall buildings.

If it helps, I will often under correct a small amount to leave the viewer more comfortable. I will always use a tripod and a level with my TS-E lenses, I also have a grid screen fitted.

Nice shot otherwise Mad...... Maybe we can do some architecture on the next SE meet, and let the others take pictures of snowmen :lol:

Hope you do not mind, here is a quick edit....

HOSTED PHOTO

Scuff
Canon EOS 1Dx II, M5, XF400: 16-35 f4Lis, 24-105, 70-200 f2.8Lis III, 70-300 f4/5.6Lis, Sigma 150-600 Sport, 600ex-RT (3x), ST-E3 RT.
My flickr page (external link)

Mike-DT6
Goldmember
3,963 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 29, 2008 11:22 |  #128

Some nice photos appearing here recently. :-)

The verticals on the building photograph look parallel to me. I think the wider section on the top of the tower and that drainpipe running down the side are creating the illusion that it leans out slightly.

Mike

:-)

Gear list

jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 29, 2008 12:39 |  #129

Scuff wrote in post #6963241 (external link)
There appears to be a slight over correction.

If it helps, I will often under correct a small amount to leave the viewer more comfortable. I will always use a tripod and a level with my TS-E lenses, I also have a grid screen fitted.

Yes, there appears a slight over correction which makes the picture slightly unpleasant.

You made some very good points. I would love to have a grid on my 'L' screen. The 'L' screen has the best focusing aid I do believe I have ever had. Either the aftermarket screen makers don't offer the service of adding a grid to the customer's screen or the cost to do so is ridiculously high. I know it takes but a moment or two to change screens, but it would be nice to have both.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,157 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 29, 2008 12:49 |  #130

not overcorrected...on my monitor I measure 19mm to the edge of frame at level 3, versus 17.5mm to edge of frame at ground level (I am not measuring to downspout, but to edge of stucco ediface. optical illusion.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Mike-DT6
Goldmember
3,963 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 29, 2008 13:05 |  #131

Yes, I measured from the nearest corner of the building (below the wider bit!) to the edge of the photograph. Bang-on 21mm right the way down on my monitor.

I appreciate that it's common practice to have slightly converging verticals, but then that gives rise to people complaining about it! :lol: On architectural photographs I prefer things dead parallel.

Mike

Gear list

jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 29, 2008 13:13 |  #132

For whatever reasons, the second picture is more pleasant to look at.

alexwise
238 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 29, 2008 20:47 as a reply to  @ post 6929846 |  #133

Very nice sheawyatt!

Alex Wise Photography, Tasmania Australia (external link)

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,203 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 30, 2008 00:16 |  #134

MaDProFF wrote in post #6962371 (external link)

Hi Brett:

Over corrected is probably not the right term I should have used.

I'm not into measurabating images, just rely on how an image appears to my eyes.

To me (and it may be just me), a good architectural image should represent the way your eyes interpret the genuine article and as we would normally expect to see some convergence of the verticals, I believe that it would look better if you had tilted the camera back ever-so slightly.

While your image probably is technically accurate (and very well done, hand held), to me it looks like it is falling towards me (slightly). This is an optical illusion.

There is also something about the centre of the image that I cannot put my finger on but it just doesn't look right.

Please don't take this as a criticism of your work as I have got a long way to get to your skill level and even more work to do using a TS. This being a lens photo archive, it is probably the best place to show an image indicating what the lens is capable of.

(PS I look forward to meeting up with Wazza soon & hearing about your lads excussions)

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 30, 2008 07:18 |  #135

Mark, that's fine, I always happy to receive views, opinions, it helps me become a better photographer.
I do feel the cars look a little modleish if there is such a word :)

Heh, say Hi To Wazza, cannot wait till he gets back to to feel our lovely weather we are having

sponsored links

125,283 views & 4 likes for this thread
Canon TS-E24mm f/3.5L
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.