Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 19 Dec 2008 (Friday) 11:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who Uses A Flexible Keyboard?

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 19, 2008 11:27 |  #1

For years I have been buying those $8 Fellowes Generic Keyboards. I like the old style layout, they are cheap and I can throw them away ever 6 months when they get dirty. But recently, they seem to have gone cheapo in the construction, and the Ctrl and Shift Keys on both sides will stick unless you hit them right in the center. This is not only annoying, but hurts my fingers sometimes.

I don't want a better more expensive keyboard, cause they are set up different, need extra software, have key shortcuts that never work with oir screw up my program shortcuts and they just don't feel right, too big.

I was looking at some of those flexible keyboards (external link) and wondered if anyone is or has used them and have some questions. Are they long lasting, do they use mechanical keys, or pressure or temperature sensitive keys, do they work good? :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

sponsored links
TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 19, 2008 11:31 |  #2

For years I have been buying those $8 Fellowes Generic Keyboards... But recently, they seem to have gone cheapo in the construction

:D :D :D Only recently did the $8 keyboard become cheap in the construction?

Now I haven't used one of those latex-wonders but I would guess that if you're used to a traditional feel, it won't be the same. Honestly I hate most of the Logitech and Microsoft keyboards, too. Apple makes a very nice USB "simple" keyboard but it wouldn't have your ctrl-alt-windows keys (the ctrl-alt would work but not be labeled correctly).

Have you tried an old IBM clicker keyboard? The kind they used to make with their 8088s... I bet someone must make a USB version of it. It was the only kind I'd use for about 15 years... I'd bring two of them to whatever job I was working at.

aha, buckling spring keyboard is what they're called... here is a current maker:

http://pckeyboards.sto​res.yahoo.net/keyboard​s.html (external link)

btw, if you buy a good keyboard once, you CAN clean them! The clickers should come apart easily.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

canonloader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 19, 2008 11:39 |  #3

Only recently did the $8 keyboard become cheap in the construction?

Only in the last couple years have the keys begun sticking like I described. It's plastic in plastic with no lubrication. They were the best deal of anything I have bought in years. ;)

But I don't want to pay a high price for a keyboard that is going South the first time I spill beer or coffee into it. That's why I liked the $8 Fellowes. I would buy 2 or 3 at a time, so I always had one to switch out to. I have taken them apart to clean before in an emergency, and don't want to do it again. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 19, 2008 11:48 |  #4

Hmm I just can't imagine the flexible keyboards having that great of a feel if you do a lot of typing but like I said, I've not tried one. Have you thought of a virtual keyboard? :p

http://www.thinkgeek.c​om/computing/input/819​3/ (external link)

totally beer-proof.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

canonloader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 19, 2008 12:00 |  #5

I saw those advertised awhile back. But the $150 price tag is a deal breaker. :)

I'm going to see if I can find one at Best or one of the other stores around to get the feel of one before I buy. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Dec 19, 2008 12:06 as a reply to  @ TheHoff's post |  #6

For a while I used cheap keyboards/mice but after using 'good' ones like this mouse (external link) and this keyboard (external link) I just cannot stand anything less. They make working hours of video/photos/surfing a pleasure. I got a set for every PC and Mac (Mac Edition w/ keyboard) I use.

The only reason I would use a flex keyboard is in harsh environments where it may get wet/sand in them.

canonloader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 19, 2008 12:13 |  #7

Out of my range, and it looks like it would take up too much desk realestate. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 19, 2008 12:25 |  #8

MaxxuM wrote in post #6909278 (external link)
The only reason I would use a flex keyboard is in harsh environments where it may get wet/sand in them.

It sounds like his desk/wet bar qualifies as a harsh environment.

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 19, 2008 12:28 |  #9

canonloader wrote in post #6909318 (external link)
Out of my range, and it looks like it would take up too much desk realestate. :)

Expensive, yea they are and I struggled over the decision to buy them, but once I did I just loved them and tossed out my others. The keyboards are actually pretty small, just a couple inches wider than my MacBook Pro and its super thin and while charging it take up no space at all. The mouse is big, but darn is it smooth and even after a few hours and a thousand clicks my hand still isn't cramping.

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 19, 2008 12:29 |  #10

TheHoff wrote in post #6909384 (external link)
It sounds like his desk/wet bar qualifies as a harsh environment.

Yea, I should have read the whole thing... especially the part about not wanting a more features :oops:

canonloader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 19, 2008 13:25 |  #11

I have had several of the ones with special features, still have them somewhere, but they all conflict with either Flash or Photoshop and I had to put them away. I really just want a normal 109 key board, and if it had silent non mechanical keys, so much the better. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 19, 2008 14:07 |  #12

MaxxuM wrote in post #6909278 (external link)
For a while I used cheap keyboards/mice but after using 'good' ones like this mouse (external link) and this keyboard (external link) I just cannot stand anything less. They make working hours of video/photos/surfing a pleasure. I got a set for every PC and Mac (Mac Edition w/ keyboard) I use.

Wow a $166 keyboard. I thought I was splurging when I bought a $60 keyboard.

I do have a mouse very similar to that one though.....

BTNorris
212 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 23, 2008 17:22 as a reply to  @ Kronie's post |  #13

We have one of the flexible keyboards (external link) that looks like the top one listed, but it's Tripp-Lite brand.

It's terrible. If you don't press the key straight-down in the middle it won't register the keypress.

7D, 17-55, 50 1.4, 70-200, 10-22, Kenko Tubes, OPTIX xr, Einstein

canonloader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 23, 2008 17:29 |  #14

Thanks BT, that's exactly what I wanted to know. It looks like it too, and that is exactly what mine is doing with a few of the keys and it's really annoying. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

Bubber ­ Jones
129 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Dec 26, 2008 21:54 |  #15

canonloader wrote in post #6909045 (external link)
I was looking at some of those flexible keyboards (external link) and wondered if anyone is or has used them and have some questions. Are they long lasting, do they use mechanical keys, or pressure or temperature sensitive keys, do they work good? :)

Don't know if you've got one yet, but don't. They are junk and very hard to type on... Stay away....

sponsored links

2,219 views & 0 likes for this thread
Who Uses A Flexible Keyboard?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.