Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 21 Dec 2008 (Sunday) 22:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Before & After # 144

SilverHCIC
Goldmember
1,460 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Swimming, cycling or running ... somewhere in California

Dec 21, 2008 22:31 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

This game is to help those of us who are trying to learn new tricks when it comes to editing.

Here's the breakdown of the game. I will post a picture that I choose, resized to exactly 1024 pixels maximum on the long side. Outside of being resized it has to be unedited...meaning no adjustments to any levels, it has to look like it did as it came out of the camera.

The game will last 48hrs and whoever can produce the best edited image (as judged by me) will be picked and it'll be their turn to post their unedited picture for all of us to take a crack at.

The participants must have their "Image Editing OK" turned on and they must provide at least a simple breakdown of how they edited the image, some entrants are a little vague on this point, please give us all details so we can learn and share tips. For instance if you use the unsharp mask tool or Smart Sharpen, provide us with the adjustments you used so others can try them out.

You can post multiple images, but the first image you post will be the one that is judged - all other images will be considered for knowledge and tip use only.

Also, please keep all comments, be they positive or negative, to yourself until after the game has ended.

If you happen to be the winner of the game please start the next one with the title of the game and the following number. For example…the next game should read "Before & After #145".

This is all about having fun so have at it!!!
Any edit, over-the-top creative or subtle, is encouraged!

This game will end on Wednesday, December 24th at 9:00pm PST . (Sorry, I need to extend this an extra day because I won't be around to judge on the 23rd).

Nothing special about this picture, but it's a great opportunity to show how an ordinary, every-day image can be turned into an extraordinary picture -- Let's see what you can all come up with. -- Feel free to resize as you see fit.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

"It's easy to find your bike in transition when you're the last one out of the ocean ... it's no fun being lost at sea :rolleyes:."

sponsored links
thekid24
pro-zack-lee
8,545 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 22, 2008 00:42 |  #2

I was listening to Johnny Cash: Hurt while editing this.....hmmm

"you can have it all....my empire of dirt...I will let you down....I will make you hurt"

-duplicated layer
-set layer to soft overlay
-desaturated
-selective color adjusted black, grey, and white levels
-cropped
-added vignette with burn tool
-used blur tool

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

flickr (external link)

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
10,121 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 22, 2008 22:14 |  #3

Converted to B&W and then just copy/pasted/transforme​d multiple times into an image of mine... Did not get time to finish this up, but I know I will have no time tomorrow to do anything.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

TheSonofDarwin
618 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 22, 2008 23:00 as a reply to  @ thekid24's post |  #4

Still borked color, but I'm getting better at compensating while I wait for Adobe to fix their stuff ;)

B&W, Increased contrast a lot, burnt the edges then set it at luminosity
Sampled the green on the grass and painted, on a new layer (Saturation), the left side of the stump to create the normally unwanted color reflection
Merged layer, blurred slightly, burnt the edges more and dodged some others to give a glowy effect (note I use separate layers on soft light for nondestructive dodging/burning)
Burnt some areas in the background where the sunlight was too intense
Began the masking... multiple layers of varying contrast painted in gradually to make the stump stand out
Cloned out that out-of-place white leaf on the lower right
Muttered profanities about the color issue (optional if you have CS4) ;)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i5.photobucket.​com …esonofdarwin/14​4_edit.jpg (external link)

-Justin (external link)

PoSaiDoN
53 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 23, 2008 23:51 as a reply to  @ TheSonofDarwin's post |  #5

Blur - Vignette - Gamma - exposure - burn - patch tool - copy past - crop - text - red and yellow correction - hue correction - sharpen tool - small HDR correction

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

450D ▲ 55-250mm ▲ 18-55 IS ▲ 50mm f/1.8 ▲ 450EXII

PictureDisk
72 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 24, 2008 11:10 as a reply to  @ PoSaiDoN's post |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Basically just a LOT of layer masks. Thought I would experiment with something I saw in the Photoshop Tennis thread. I didn't go all the way, because I'm just doing this while on a break and I don't have a lot of time.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3201/3132879789_967fb41f0a_o.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/picturedisk/ (external link)

SilverHCIC
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,460 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Swimming, cycling or running ... somewhere in California

Dec 25, 2008 09:46 as a reply to  @ PictureDisk's post |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

Merry Christmas everyone!! OK, even with only 5 entries, this was harder than I thought it would be to choose. I was going to post my choice last night, but I had to keep looking at the attributes of each edit over and over again. … Some really good stuff here – technically among the best edits I’ve seen in a long while.

Jared – Virtually everything you chose to do to this image was spot-on. The soft overlay blend afforded the sharpness to some of the rocks, without making the edges of the rocks too harsh. The combined desaturation followed by the adjustments to black, gray & white were balanced absolutely perfectly. Whenever I try, I always fail miserably and my desats-resats never attain the perfect balance that yours has. Finally, the combination of a tight crop, with the vignette and selective blurring draw focus & hold it. … I participate in a small group of photo enthusiasts and we often talk about editing techniques. … If you don’t mind, I may use your edit as an example.

monty – This is just plain spectacular. Every last detail is superb. By varying the heights and tilting each of the logs, combined with slight differences in the shadow depth, the logs don’t simply look like clones of each other. This picture is absolutely surreal in so many ways, that I can’t really count them all. The softness of the initial long-exposure sets the tone for the entire image, and is juxtaposed to the sharp, solid feel of the boulders and the logs. The scale of the logs versus the boulders is balanced very well. Why are those logs there? Who stood them up, and why are they placed in a line? Where do they lead? Why are they topped with small rocks? Why are the rocks missing from some of the logs? … I could go on, and on. Finally, the smaller rocks on the logs provide a link with the other rocks/boulders in the image. Monty, this is some of the best work I’ve seen from you (and I’ve seen you do some amazing stuff!!). … This image should be entered in the POTN book in some category – It’s that good. You should enter it. Or at a minimum, display it on your wall. All I can say, is WOW.

Justin – I may have studied your edit the longest. At first I thought the contrast was too deep and the colors too richly saturated. But as I continued to come back to study your picture, I realized that it still worked. The deeper green (including some of the green in the rocks) gave me the impression of an entirely different season of the year. The deeper brown of the log adds to that feeling, almost as if the log had been wet all winter, and was finally drying out, with a hint of mossy green stuff appearing on some of the rocks. The vignette added to that seasonal perspective. – I’m not sure what you were aiming for, and I’m not sure what “color issues” you have been battling with, but this was what I saw in your image. Definitely an interesting change from the drab original pic that was a bit washed out when I snapped it.

PoSaiDoN – If you had spelled Differences correctly, I could see this as one of those “Motivational” posters. The BG blur definitely draws attention to the log & little rocks. Your adjustments also enhance my original reason for taking the picture – I was experimenting with natural side-lighting & shadows. – The shadows cast by the little rocks are absolute, while the curved side of the log graduates from significant shadow to direct sunlight exposure. You also enhanced the shadow cast by the log itself upon the irregular wild grass surrounding. Very nicely enhanced.

PictureDisk – That is pretty cool stuff!! I think I like yours better than the one in the Tennis thread. I love the way you created a thin wafer from the log and tilted it to make sure the shadows were oriented properly (based on where the sun must be to illuminate the earth). Also, the image is nice and sharp, which (I guess) is what it would look like in space without the interference of environmental factors (ie, smog) to make the image look dull. Outstanding work. – You should play this and the Tennis thread more frequently!!

OK, sorry for talking so much, but there was some serious skill exhibited this time, and I studied the images so long, that I wanted to share what I saw in these outstanding edits. … But with that said, monty is the winner. … Superb.

"It's easy to find your bike in transition when you're the last one out of the ocean ... it's no fun being lost at sea :rolleyes:."

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
10,121 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 25, 2008 12:46 |  #8

Wow -- what a break down! Nice critique Silver - If I could only put that much thought into my photos I would be getting much better!

Thanks for the Win! Not the same image but one from the same foggy/rainy morning is -> here as you can see those concrete pilings were already in the picture -- I was just trying to match up your log with them!

Great edits everybody!! I'll get a new one up shortly.

And a very MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all!

PoSaiDoN
53 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 25, 2008 12:58 |  #9

Congrats Monty !!!!

Thank you soo mutch for the lovely comments, and yup ...... i just spoted that grammar mistake ... :oops:

450D ▲ 55-250mm ▲ 18-55 IS ▲ 50mm f/1.8 ▲ 450EXII

sponsored links

1,484 views & 0 likes for this thread
Before & After # 144
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.