Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Dec 2008 (Thursday) 23:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hello, I am new can anyone suggest which Canon DSLR to get?

Trick ­ Fotoez
426 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 26, 2008 03:28 |  #16

1ruffryder wrote in post #6946211 (external link)
i say 40d if you travel. the build on it will hold up

umm, the xsi feels solid as a rock to me bro

flickr (external link)
Canon Rebel XSi | Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS

sponsored links
Cassava ­ Chip
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 26, 2008 04:16 as a reply to  @ Trick Fotoez's post |  #17

it's true that 450D have focusing issue?

kud0
58 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 26, 2008 04:55 |  #18

canon 5D =]

"I don't know if tomorrow has a day. All I know is that I'm standing in a place where my future is like the skies of L.A."~Celine Dion
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/nateypoo/ (external link)

cary ­ chilton
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 26, 2008 04:55 |  #19

THank you guys! I posted this question with my intro so quickly because tomorrow are the boxing day specials... Future shop has the XSi for 629. I tried to do last minute homework even during my Christmas party,...when I posted here to get some more answers.

My brother has the Rebel XT 8.0 MP and loves it. I was impressed with the photos he took. Future shop is selling it for 449.00 Then I saw the XSi 12.0 MP for 629.00, then I thought well for the extra cash, the 12 might be worth it?
I know my brother favors Canons and their interchangeable lenses.

While doing some research, on youtube, I saw Canon Demos. I saw the 40D. The guy said it was heavier ( not sure why that is a great plus) and that it is more professional ( not sure he favored it over the XSi especially since it is only 10 MP). Then the Canon model's prices REALLY shoot up!

Anything else I should know before tomorrow's purchase?

Trick ­ Fotoez
426 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 26, 2008 05:09 |  #20

more megapixels doesnt necessarily = better

i have seen so many what camera/lens threads on this site in the short time ive been here...there is so much information on this site. my strong suggestion to you is not to rush your purchase...there will always be deals. research and read and learn my friend

flickr (external link)
Canon Rebel XSi | Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS

iddycourt
283 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 26, 2008 05:10 |  #21

cary chilton wrote in post #6946354 (external link)

with all the knowledge from reading the forum, and the internet, you should be pretty much set.
dont buy anything without feeling, using it in the store. Have a play, dont feel rushed into buying anything.
Go in with what you want in your mind, have a play with that one, but have a play with the one 2nd on your list.
the most fun i had choosing my camera, was playing with all the different models

Canon EOS 450d, 18-55mm IS, 75-300mm, 50mm 1.8

mercury-666
190 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 26, 2008 06:34 |  #22

i asked the same question when i was trying to decide, i got the 40D because i do some skate stuff and i wanted the 6.5fps.

Mercuryphoto.blogspot.​com

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,200 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 26, 2008 06:42 |  #23

cary chilton wrote in post #6946354 (external link)
...My brother has the Rebel XT 8.0 MP and loves it. I was impressed with the photos he took. Future shop is selling it for 449.00 Then I saw the XSi 12.0 MP for 629.00, then I thought well for the extra cash, the 12 might be worth it?
I know my brother favors Canons and their interchangeable lenses.

While doing some research, on youtube, I saw Canon Demos. I saw the 40D. ....

Between the XT and the XSi the choice is simple. THe XSi has a newer generation processor so it is more responsive, buffers more, and has many new fearures. Couple that with a significantly improved focus system, larger viewfinder, though just a bit, and 50% more MP and you have a solidly better camera well worth the extra $$$

The differance between the XSi and the 40D is much harder to quantify. Essentially they are the same camera in a different package. THe feature set is almost the same, the performance is almost the same, but the bodies are very different. THe 40D is significantly larger and heavier. To some this is very important, but to others it doesn't matter. The other differance is in it's controls. THe 40D has an extra joystick allowing for a bit faster setting changing.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Shamir
508 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 26, 2008 07:02 |  #24

XTi.. and with the rest of the money.. go for GLASS :D :D

Shamir
My Website - Click Here (external link)

Jonathan
Cream of the Crop
7,019 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 26, 2008 07:04 |  #25

1ruffryder wrote in post #6946211 (external link)
i say 40d if you travel. the build on it will hold up

I see people make this type of comment a lot and it is one that I find it difficult to agree with. I just upgraded from a 400D to a 50D and the last reason for that was build quality/ruggedness. A 400D will "hold up" just as well as a 40D because most non pros tend to over protect their kit, regardless of build quality and anyone who checks camera gear when flying is clearly not paying for their own equipment :-)

I will look after my more rugged 50D just as carefully as my 400D and the only advantage of the improved build quality for me will be its ability to survive an accident.

Go for the 450D (XSi), it's relatively new so has the new chip and some lovely features for a camera at that price point and comes with the IS kit lens. Any spare cash should be spend on either glass (and I agree with the 55-250 recomendation) or airfares :-)

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Winston Churchill

My blog siteexternal link
My Gear List
My Flickrexternal link

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,200 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 26, 2008 07:10 |  #26

lemminglover wrote in post #6946585 (external link)
I see people make this type of comment a lot and it is one that I find it difficult to agree with. I just upgraded from a 400D to a 50D and the last reason for that was build quality/ruggedness. A 400D will "hold up" just as well as a 40D because most non pros tend to over protect their kit, regardless of build quality and anyone who checks camera gear when flying is clearly not paying for their own equipment :-)

I will look after my more rugged 50D just as carefully as my 400D and the only advantage of the improved build quality for me will be its ability to survive an accident.

Go for the 450D (XSi), it's relatively new so has the new chip and some lovely features for a camera at that price point and comes with the IS kit lens. Any spare cash should be spend on either glass (and I agree with the 55-250 recomendation) or airfares :-)

I kind of feel the same way. I have seen just as many examples of 1D cameras with mounts torn out as with xxxD cameras with the same.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

carlover2218
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 26, 2008 08:04 |  #27

I just got an XSi for Christmas. I love it! I would highly recommend it to a beginner.

XSi- 18-55mm IS- 55-250mm IS
http://gallery.me.com/​carlover2218 (external link)

cary ­ chilton
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 27, 2008 02:51 |  #28

I ordered the XSi ! Pretty Much all I can afford right now, especially AFTER Christmas.
Any suggestions for a cheap place for buying cheap batteries and memory cards? Does this camera come with a carrying case? If not, where is a cheaper place to get one?
THanks

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 27, 2008 09:41 |  #29

Hi Cary,

No case is provided with the camera. Shop around. Consider a used bag, or go stealthy and get one that's not really made for camera equipment and doesn't scream 'Steal me!'. In fact, I know folks who use *diaper bags* for their cameras, since thieves are pretty unlikely to steal one of those!

With the camera you'll get one battery, a batt charger, cables to hook up to your computer (but I still recommend you get a card reader to download images instead), software on a CD or two, body cap and an instruction book. If you got a kit that included a lens, the lens will come with caps and not much else.

Now, Canon provides all the software you are likely to need initially. Try it out. Eventually you might want to try something like Photoshop Elements or other software that has some other capabilities.

I've bought a lot of 'generic' batteries off eBay and have not had any problems with them (not the same ones the XSi uses, but those are available too). They are about 1/6th the price of Canon's batts. If those sound too risky, there are third party but not 'totally' generic batts available through B&H, Adorama, Stirlingtek.com and other places, for about half what Canon thinks theirs are worth. With those you have some more warranty, than you do with the eBay generics from who knows where.

Don't worry if it says 'Made in China' on the batteries. It says that on Canon's, too! ;-)a

I would not recommend eBay for memory cards. There have been too many fake cards there, for my tastes.

I've bought memory cards from Amazon, www.outpost.com (external link) and Newegg.com mostly. Shop around. I try to stick with major, brand names like Sandisk, Lexar, Sony. There are some others (Kingston, Transcend, Crucial, etc.). I'm just not experienced with them.

Your camera uses SDHC, I believe. All mine use Compact Flash, so I can't really advise what speed cards you should get. Just be sure to do a little research so you don't 'over buy' speed and size. It's most cost effective to get only as fast as your camera can manage, but not much faster. High speed cards cost more, but if your camera can't use it, what's the point. In fact, if you aren't shooting fast and furiously and can tolerate some slower writing of the images to the card, even slower cards might even be a way to save.

And, I suggest you get a larger number of smaller cards, say no larger than 4GB for a 12MP camera like the XSi, rather than one or two really big ones. These are not only cheaper, and can be added a few at a time, but this is wise so you aren't putting all your eggs in one basket, so to speak. This way, if one of your cards gets damaged or lost, you haven't lost all your images. Besides, really big cards are expensive and there are often 'package deals' on smaller cards, sometimes several together and/or bundled with a card reader.

Highly recommended, a good book like Magic Lantern Guide or similar covering the XSi to help you get the very best out of your camera. These books sort of pick up where the instruction manual leaves off. Another really good book for beginners is "Understanding Exposure".

I also most highly recommend you get a proper lens hood for your lens(es). This is the best protection for it when in use, and can improve your image quality quite a bit. If Canon's hood seems pricey, look up what model fits the lens and then search for cheaper, generic versions of it on eBay ito save some money. The generic ones are often pretty close copies.

Get a circular polarizing filter to use on the lens. It's the most useful filter for digital photography, especially for scenics/landscapes, water/glass/reflection​s and to help increase color saturation in many scenes. Higher quality, multi-coated filters are always best, but are more expensive... If really need be for budget reasons, you can get less expensive single coated circular polarizers... Just always use the lens hood to help protect it from oblique lighting and try to avoid flare (i.e., take the filter off when shooting sunsets/sunrises or any other subject with strong, specular lighting coming towards the lens).

If you got more than one lens, hopefully they will use the same size filters, so you really only need buy and carry around one.

Since I don't have one, I don't know how well the XSi's sensor cleaning mode works, but you might eventually needs some basic sensor cleaning stuff, especially if you work at small apertures (f11, f16, f22) for scenic shots, etc. A 'Rocket Blower' is the most basic tool for sensor cleaning. Beyond that, you'll need to decide if you want to try to do other cleaning methods yourself, or have a camera tech clean it for your for a few $$$s.

If you are careful, a sensor may not need very frequent cleaning. Be cautious when you change lenses, that it's not in dusty places. Also don't let the camera sit without a lens or body cap on it. Keep the rear cap on your lenses, when off the camera too. Also get some micro fiber lens cloths (cheaper from opticians than from camera shops, or buy them in bulk from places like www.micro-tools.com (external link)) and be careful to keep the rear of the lens clean.

When changing lenses, turn off the camera. Some think this prevents static charge attracting dust. I don't know if that's true, but it can't hurt. Also hold the camera facing downward, so that dust is less likely to settle into it.

Now go have fun!

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 27, 2008 09:52 |  #30

perryge wrote in post #6945888 (external link)
Welcome to POTN!

XSi
18-55 IS (comes in kit)
55-250 IS (if you can get a kit with both 18-55 IS and this lens, all the better)
50 1.8 II (for low light and to get you hooked on narrow DOF)

Best budget starter kit out there. Pick up an external flash (e.g. 430EX) and a good tripod and ballhead (e.g. Manfrotto 055XProB + 488RC2 head) and you'll likely have all you'll ever need until this forum gets to you and you start spending thousands of dollars on L glass :lol:.

Good suggestions. Get the flash! It made all the difference in my pictures. Camera body is less an issue. Go used for a 20D, 30D, Xti, and save a few bucks.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

sponsored links

2,646 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hello, I am new can anyone suggest which Canon DSLR to get?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.