Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 28 Dec 2008 (Sunday) 18:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

MMJ Conjunction

Bernoulli
801 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 28, 2008 18:39 |  #1

I missed the Moon-Venus-Jupiter conjunction last month, but here's tonight's Moon-Mercury-Jupiter conjunction. You can barely see a couple of Jupiter's moons.

50D, 109 mm, f 5.6, 4 sec, ISO 400

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Rick
rulrich@uark.edu (external link)

sponsored links
Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 28, 2008 20:11 |  #2

Excellent image ! Job well done ! I did not know this conjunction was coming :( . You should send this in to www.spaceweather.com (external link) !

Bernoulli
THREAD ­ STARTER
801 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 28, 2008 20:14 as a reply to  @ Celestron's post |  #3

Celestron, I didn't know either. I got up from a nap and looked out the front window and there it was. Had to find the tripod real quick!

I'll look into the spaceweather.com site, I think you've been featured on there yourself, right?

Rick

strgazr27
167 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 28, 2008 20:16 as a reply to  @ Celestron's post |  #4

Beautiful image but at that Fl and exposure, Jupiters moons would not be visible. Again, a very well done image.

Gripped 40D - 17-40L - 70-200 f/4L - Gitzo GT0531 Mountaineer - Astrotrac TT320X-AG
www.strgazr27.zenfolio​.com (external link)

http://www.stonyhillob​servatory.com (external link)

Bernoulli
THREAD ­ STARTER
801 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 28, 2008 20:32 |  #5

strgazr27 wrote in post #6960129 (external link)
Beautiful image but at that Fl and exposure, Jupiters moons would not be visible. Again, a very well done image.

I beg to differ. Here's a 100% crop from the image laid over the positions of the moons at the same time (not to the same scale). The smear in the image is due to the 4 second exposure. Io and Europa are probably grouped together.

Jupiter's Galilean moons would be almost naked eye objects if not for the big planet's glare, the big four have visible magnitudes between 5 and 6. They are easy objects for the camera if you have enough zoom to separate them from the planet's glare.

The spread between Callisto and Ganymede was about 10 arc minutes, about 1/3 the width of the full moon.

HOSTED PHOTO

Rick

Bernoulli
THREAD ­ STARTER
801 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 28, 2008 21:29 as a reply to  @ Bernoulli's post |  #6

If everyone will forgive me for obsessing, let's fix that white balance and try this again. Isn't RAW great!

HOSTED PHOTO

Rick

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 28, 2008 21:48 |  #7

It is for some :( , i have a hard time working RAW :( . But i agree with you , i have taken lots of jupiter images at 2-secs with a 75-300mm @ 300mm on a tripod and captured all 4 moons but i have also caught at least 1 moon with my 18-55mm when the moons were in a good postion away from Jupiter .

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 29, 2008 04:29 |  #8

This is why I often fire up www.neave.com/planetar​ium (external link) and scroll the time forward to check for upcoming conjunctions and stuff. Not sure how accurate it is mind, but it's close enough I'm sure.

Oh and bloomin' lovely image! :)

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

Bernoulli
THREAD ­ STARTER
801 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 29, 2008 12:39 as a reply to  @ Adrena1in's post |  #9

I'm not sure what really qualifies as a "conjunction" although that's what I called it. From the Moon to Jupiter was about 6.5 degrees which is quite a distance to me.

I think tonight the Moon will be well above Jupiter.

I'll check out neave.com to see what other photo ops are sneaking up on us.

Rick

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 29, 2008 15:02 |  #10

Bernoulli wrote in post #6963655 (external link)
I'm not sure what really qualifies as a "conjunction" although that's what I called it. From the Moon to Jupiter was about 6.5 degrees which is quite a distance to me.

I think tonight the Moon will be well above Jupiter.

I'll check out neave.com to see what other photo ops are sneaking up on us.

What makes this one even more unique is it has Mercury and showing well i might add ! Thats another plus !

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 29, 2008 16:22 |  #11

Definitely decided Neave isn't quite right, but it's close. It says that on January the 16th next year there's going to be a solar eclipse in the UK, but it won't be visible from here. Neave does do weird things sometimes, but hey, it's free.

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

Bernoulli
THREAD ­ STARTER
801 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 29, 2008 16:30 |  #12

Celestron wrote in post #6964474 (external link)
What makes this one even more unique is it has Mercury and showing well i might add ! Thats another plus !

When I looked out and saw it I thought it might be Mercury but time was short and I figured I'd better shoot first and ask questions later.

There are about a dozen stars visible in the original image, but you can only see a couple on this reduced and compressed version.

Rick

Bernoulli
THREAD ­ STARTER
801 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 29, 2008 19:46 as a reply to  @ Bernoulli's post |  #13

There are conjunctions everywhere it seems.

The first image is a wide shot of Venus taken from my deck. Sorry for the cock-eyed angle, I don't have a fancy motor mount.

The second image is a closeup of the first showing super-bright Venus and, a couple of degrees away, dim blue Neptune almost 5000 times dimmer. Once you know where it is, you can easily see it with binoculars.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Rick

drevilsmom
Goldmember
1,100 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 29, 2008 20:53 |  #14

So how far away will Neptune be from Venus tomorrow? I'd love to see that.

Elizabeth

40D and modded 20D| 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | nifty fifty | assortment of pentax lenses with adapter
CG-5GT | AT102ED

Bernoulli
THREAD ­ STARTER
801 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 29, 2008 22:59 as a reply to  @ drevilsmom's post |  #15

Venus is going up up up for a while. It passed closest to Neptune last Saturday, about 2 degrees away.

Next stop is Uranus, which is passes within about 1.8 degrees on Jan 22.

So just after sunset now you can see five planets at once with binoculars.

Rick

sponsored links

2,805 views & 0 likes for this thread
MMJ Conjunction
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.