Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 01 Dec 2007 (Saturday) 21:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

night club photos (NWS)

this thread is locked
yap'in
696 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 30, 2008 16:55 |  #3451

http://farm4.static.fl​ickr.com …052068_55316c64​a1.jpg?v=0 (external link)

10 Legs of course!
http://farm4.static.fl​ickr.com …052272_f2729b38​f9.jpg?v=0 (external link)

Sean Yap
IT'S NOT A PURSE, IT'S A SATCHEL. INDIANA JONES WEARS ONE
My Flickr  (external link)

sponsored links
Davidoff
600 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 30, 2008 17:19 |  #3452

What is she pouring into the glasses on number 3?

My website (external link)
My Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

JBaz
Goldmember
1,672 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 30, 2008 17:56 |  #3453

looks like vodka and cranberry

Camera Gear

"Besides the military, photography is the only profession of where you can be proud of shooting people..."

SquareOne
641 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 31, 2008 00:55 |  #3454

JBaz wrote in post #6972401 (external link)
looks like vodka and cranberry

Good call... Belvedere bottle on the left and a carafe of Cran on the right.

whitedog wrote in post #6970364 (external link)
Not sure what you mean by "references". But you need a colorimeter and the accompanying software in order to properly calibrate your display. I will first tell you that you should not expect perfection with a laptop screen. They aren't even in the same ballpark as a dedicated display, but that said, you WILL get far better accuracy with a calibrated screen, regardless of the type.

I do a good deal of color management work and have tried many, if not all, of the available calibration packages. Personally I prefer the iOne Display package from Xrite:
http://www.xrite.com/p​roduct_overview.aspx?I​D=788 (external link)
...but they also make a less expensive ColorMunki: http://www.xrite.com/p​roduct_overview.aspx?I​D=1114 (external link)
The new Spyder3 has also been greatly improved over previous versions:
http://spyder.datacolo​r.com/product-mc-s3pro.php (external link)
But I would stay away from the Pantone Huey. It's not very accurate or reliable.
These are the most popular "affordable" and "user friendly" products. There are many more available but they are for more professional applications or more frequent use. You can't go wrong with any of the above. The software will walk you through the process and do all the work for you.

Good luck.

Bob

Thanks Bob! Just what I needed.

JBaz
Goldmember
1,672 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 31, 2008 04:12 |  #3455

I want to go to vegas... :(

Camera Gear

"Besides the military, photography is the only profession of where you can be proud of shooting people..."

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,867 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Dec 31, 2008 12:07 |  #3456

Great pics Yap'in!
I have a beef with you though... quit stripping the EXIFs so I can't try to copy your settings ;) LOL!
Happy NY y'all.

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

thebishopp
Goldmember
1,903 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 31, 2008 14:36 |  #3457

drisley wrote in post #6977303 (external link)
Great pics Yap'in!
I have a beef with you though... quit stripping the EXIFs so I can't try to copy your settings ;) LOL!
Happy NY y'all.

He probably isn't stripping the exifs.

He is using flickr (like me) and unless you link the full size image (which is usually too big per forum image posting rules) you will not see the exif.

If you want to know the exif either just ask or go to his flickr page.

Edit: I just checked one of the pics on his flickr and the exif is there so it looks like I was correct.

"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." My Zen (external link)

funhouse69
999 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 31, 2008 14:46 |  #3458

Same thing happens with Smug Mug too

My Online Gallery (external link)
>>> My Gear List / Feedback <<<

For Sale LowePro Super Trekker

yap'in
696 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 31, 2008 16:21 |  #3459

drisley wrote in post #6977303 (external link)
Great pics Yap'in!
Happy NY y'all.

hahah ... i pretty much shoot in the same ranges .. 2.8-2.5 iso 500, but i PP them quite a bit, not to mention the oncamera image settings

Sean Yap
IT'S NOT A PURSE, IT'S A SATCHEL. INDIANA JONES WEARS ONE
My Flickr  (external link)

tbar
263 posts
Gallery: 107 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined May 2008

Dec 31, 2008 16:44 |  #3460

great shots

VincentPeete
98 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 31, 2008 19:33 |  #3461

I hope I can get some good photos tonight... Happy New Years everyone.

Facebook (external link) \ Peete-Productions (external link) \ Flickr (external link)
Nikon D80 | Nikon MB-D80 Battery Grip | Tamron 18-200mm | 50mm f/1.8 | Nikon SB-600 (3) |
Tamron 28 - 75mm f/2.8 | Tamron 70 - 200mm f/2.8 | Sigma 10-20mm | Canon HV30 |  MacBook Pro

VincentPeete
98 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 01, 2009 09:11 |  #3462

PeeteProductions wrote in post #6979814 (external link)
I hope I can get some good photos tonight... Happy New Years everyone.

FAILED... New Years Eve @ the Clubs were lame around here.

Facebook (external link) \ Peete-Productions (external link) \ Flickr (external link)
Nikon D80 | Nikon MB-D80 Battery Grip | Tamron 18-200mm | 50mm f/1.8 | Nikon SB-600 (3) |
Tamron 28 - 75mm f/2.8 | Tamron 70 - 200mm f/2.8 | Sigma 10-20mm | Canon HV30 |  MacBook Pro

thebishopp
Goldmember
1,903 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 01, 2009 10:18 |  #3463

Hey, if any of my nightclub shooting buddies have an eye for sharpness I would appreciate lending your eyes to this thread:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=622771

Concerned about the shaprness of the 24-70L I did a small test (black line test) between the tammy 17-50 and canon 24-70L.

The reason for this is it appeared the 24-70 was shooting a bit soft compared to my tammy and needed quite a bit more sharpening in dpp or photoshop then my tammy shots. I haven't fully tested the 24-70 at an actual club yet but took some shots at a karaoke club a friend of mine dj's and was so so about the results (which is why I did this test).

"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." My Zen (external link)

turbodude
Goldmember
2,707 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 01, 2009 13:06 |  #3464

thebishopp wrote in post #6982306 (external link)
Hey, if any of my nightclub shooting buddies have an eye for sharpness I would appreciate lending your eyes to this thread:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=622771

Concerned about the shaprness of the 24-70L I did a small test (black line test) between the tammy 17-50 and canon 24-70L.

The reason for this is it appeared the 24-70 was shooting a bit soft compared to my tammy and needed quite a bit more sharpening in dpp or photoshop then my tammy shots. I haven't fully tested the 24-70 at an actual club yet but took some shots at a karaoke club a friend of mine dj's and was so so about the results (which is why I did this test).

its true and ive been telling people that crap for ages. My 24-60 2.8 is lighter and sharper than any 28-70L or 24-70L i have used. If its had HSM i would be have it as my primary. Just some people drink the L koolaid. But sharpness isnt everything. But the 24-70L is just way too heavy when i combine it with my bracket, quick release, flash, 5d with grip. Though the AF is super quick and build is top notch, but sometimes the L doesnt win in IQ.

My Twitter: http://twitter.com/pow​ersimagery (external link)
My Blog:
http://powersimagery.c​om/blog (external link)

My Website: www.powersimagery.com (external link)
My Job: Vegas Magazine (external link) | Retna LTD (external link) | Tao/Lavo Las Vegas (external link) | Espn.com (external link) | UFC (external link)
My Gear:Gear List

thebishopp
Goldmember
1,903 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 01, 2009 14:35 |  #3465

turbodude wrote in post #6982992 (external link)
its true and ive been telling people that crap for ages. My 24-60 2.8 is lighter and sharper than any 28-70L or 24-70L i have used. If its had HSM i would be have it as my primary. Just some people drink the L koolaid. But sharpness isnt everything. But the 24-70L is just way too heavy when i combine it with my bracket, quick release, flash, 5d with grip. Though the AF is super quick and build is top notch, but sometimes the L doesnt win in IQ.

I'm going to have to agree... It's a great lens (dang heavy with my 40d, grip, cheapy bracket, and flash) and as far as the speed in which it focuses it's wicked quick, much faster than my tammy.

I will say the pics are a bit different as far as the bokeh is concerned (perhaps a bit smoother or more noticeable - maybe it's just my perception) but it seems the quality is about the same (that's assuming my copy is not "soft").

I have been looking at the test shots I have done (lines and brick walls) and they look dang near identical except different color saturation levels.

Then again one fellow was able to tell which lens took which shot looking at the pictures of a black line so he is obviously seeing something I am not.

So maybe I do have a copy that's doing as good as it's supposed to do... I hope so anyway, I really don't want to ship it back for reservicing if I don't have to.

sponsored links

2,519,391 views & 3 likes for this thread
night club photos (NWS)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.