Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Dec 2008 (Friday) 13:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Diference between XS and XSi

dsldub
308 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 12, 2008 13:42 |  #1

What's the difference between the two, except for MP, the XS is 10MP and the XSi is 12MP.

What are the other differences?

|Canon 30D|
| EF-S 10-22 USM | EF-S 18-55 IS | EF-S 55-250 IS | EF 50 1.8 II |
flickr  (external link)Gear Listhttps://photography-on-the.net …?p=7832996&post​count=1782

sponsored links
jblaschke
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 12, 2008 13:45 |  #2

XS has a noticeably cheaper build quality. Also, FPS rate is slower. There's a list of other features the XSi has that aren't available on the XS.

The XS really is a bridge camera, designed as an intro model for people trading up from a P&S. It's a decent camera, and I've had no hesitancy recommending it to people who are wobbly as far as photography experience goes and are looking to trade up, but for someone with prior SLR background, the XSi/XTi or the 40D/50D would be a better choice.

Canon 7D | Canon 50D IR modified | Canon EF 70-200mm 2.8 IS L | Canon FD 500mm 8.0 Reflex | Canon EF 85mm 1.8 | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 mk I | Canon EF-S 10-22mm | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Meade 645 (762mm f/5)
Model Mayhem (external link) | DeviantArt (external link) | Lisa On Location: New Braunfels Photography (external link)

funlovincamera
291 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 12, 2008 13:52 |  #3

Here's a great website that describes the differences: http://www.photolectic​.com …xsi-quick-comparison.html (external link)

XSi | 17-55mm 2.8 IS | 10-22mm | 85mm 1.8 | 430EX II | La Crosse BC-900 | eneloops | B+W Kaesemann F-PRO MRC CPL and UV | Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home | PacSafe CarrySafe 100 strap | Lowepro DMC-Z memory card wallet | (previously a 7D)

s.almajid
25 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 12, 2008 15:40 |  #4

jblaschke wrote in post #6865452 (external link)
XS has a noticeably cheaper build quality. Also, FPS rate is slower. There's a list of other features the XSi has that aren't available on the XS.

The XS really is a bridge camera, designed as an intro model for people trading up from a P&S. It's a decent camera, and I've had no hesitancy recommending it to people who are wobbly as far as photography experience goes and are looking to trade up, but for someone with prior SLR background, the XSi/XTi or the 40D/50D would be a better choice.

The XS and the XSi build quality is the same

The xs is some 20g lighter than the xsi

But I dont think the xs will be a real upgrade for you

you can go for the xsi or if you want a real upgrade then get you the 40d since it is a good deal now

Canon Rebel XS (1000d)| 18-55mm IS lens
Just a beginner taking photography serious

dsldub
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 17, 2008 19:50 |  #5

Yes, the XSi makes more sense, I even wonder why canon released the XS.
40D's are still expensive (to me) and find them too big in size. I like the more compact xxxD bodies.

|Canon 30D|
flickr  (external link)Gear Listhttps://photography-on-the.net …?p=7832996&post​count=1782

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,099 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 17, 2008 21:27 as a reply to  @ dsldub's post |  #6

I have a 400D, which is about the same size as the 450D. Even with the battery grip on I find the 400D a tad small, especially when used with lenses like the EF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 IS USM or the EF 70-200 mm f/4L IS USM. The 40D with the grip on is much more stable to handle, when shooting moving objects with telephoto lenses. It works well even with the EF 100-400 mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM.

With a relatively small lens, like the EF-S 17-85 mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, the 400D handles pretty well.

Anders

jblaschke
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 17, 2008 21:47 |  #7

s.almajid wrote in post #6866164 (external link)
The XS and the XSi build quality is the same

Have you held one? It may take good pictures, but the XS feels like one of those hard plastic disposable 35mm point-and-shoots that were popular just before digital exploded. It is, simply put, built more cheaply than the Rebel line, which in turn is built more cheaply than the xxD line.

Saying the XS has the same build quality is like saying Chrysler and Chevy have the same build quality. If you've ridden in any Chrysler built since '05, you'd agree that hard plastic isn't "the new black" in quality.

Canon 7D | Canon 50D IR modified | Canon EF 70-200mm 2.8 IS L | Canon FD 500mm 8.0 Reflex | Canon EF 85mm 1.8 | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 mk I | Canon EF-S 10-22mm | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Meade 645 (762mm f/5)
Model Mayhem (external link) | DeviantArt (external link) | Lisa On Location: New Braunfels Photography (external link)

jcp2000
988 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 17, 2008 22:21 |  #8

the xs is really cheap feeling also there is no adjustable iso settings i say if you really want to get into dslrs stay away from the xs and get the xsi you wont regret it

Canon 7D, Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG, Vivitar 285HV, AlienBees B800, Vagabond II, Cactus V2s, SLIK Able 300 DX

flickr (external link)

lonelyjew
Goldmember
1,411 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 17, 2008 23:30 |  #9

jcp2000 wrote in post #6900012 (external link)
the xs is really cheap feeling also there is no adjustable iso settings i say if you really want to get into dslrs stay away from the xs and get the xsi you wont regret it

Um where did you hear that? You can adjust ISO on pretty much any digital camera and you can on the XS...

Don't take this the wrong way but if someone is planning on spending hundreds of dollars on a camera you shouldn't make a post if you don't know what you're talking about...

Canon 40D
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS, ∑ 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro, ∑ 105mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro
580ex II
An off brand tank of a tripod w/ Manfrotto 486RC2 Head

Trick ­ Fotoez
426 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 17, 2008 23:32 |  #10

i agree 150% on the build quality of the xsi...feels really really good to hold i love mine :D

flickr (external link)
Canon Rebel XSi | Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 18, 2008 01:44 |  #11

jblaschke wrote in post #6899796 (external link)
Have you held one? It may take good pictures, but the XS feels like one of those hard plastic disposable 35mm point-and-shoots that were popular just before digital exploded. It is, simply put, built more cheaply than the Rebel line, which in turn is built more cheaply than the xxD line.

Saying the XS has the same build quality is like saying Chrysler and Chevy have the same build quality. If you've ridden in any Chrysler built since '05, you'd agree that hard plastic isn't "the new black" in quality.

This is so wrong. The XS is actually the REBEL XS, so it is in fact part of the Rebel line. The construction is identical to the XSI, but it has a smooth rubberized grip instead of a textured one, and no rubber thumbrest on the back. That is the difference you feel when holding it. Other than that they are the exact same build.

And I actually own an XS and tested the XSI extensively so I know what I am referring to.

Biggest REAL differences from the XS to the XSI:

• 3" vs 2.5" LCD
  • 12 vs 10MP
  • no IR remote sensor (you can buy an RF one on ebay)
  • 2 less AF points, but same AF CPU and speed. (which is to say better than the XTi)
  • No eye-sensor to auto turn off screen when eye goes to the VF. screen turns off when you touch the shutter button to focus, so no biggie.
  • 14 bit vs 12 bit RAW
  • Slower RAW fps burst

Similarities:
  • Same Digic processor
  • same real IQ
  • same speed
  • same size
  • same kit lens
  • same controls
  • same superlong battery life

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

guiledz
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 23, 2008 20:49 |  #12

tkbslc wrote in post #6901030 (external link)
This is so wrong. The XS is actually the REBEL XS, so it is in fact part of the Rebel line. The construction is identical to the XSI, but it has a smooth rubberized grip instead of a textured one, and no rubber thumbrest on the back. That is the difference you feel when holding it. Other than that they are the exact same build.

And I actually own an XS and tested the XSI extensively so I know what I am referring to.

i completely agree.

the "extra" features that the XSI has isn't as needed for a beginner like me. Other than the smaller by .5" LCD, the loss of 2 megapixels, only 7 instead of 9 AF points, slower fps burst speed and etc, it is ,in my opinion, an incredible DSLR for an amateur.

plus, its cheaper!;) i don't think that all these things , in my point of view, are really worth the extra $200-$300.:D

but ofcourse this is only my point of view...

"Age is but a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter, for experience is not the equivalent of the years of your life but the experience in that life which you have gained over the years "

ssracer
Goldmember
1,855 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 23, 2008 21:45 |  #13

tkbslc wrote in post #6901030 (external link)

Biggest REAL differences from the XS to the XSI:
  • 3" vs 2.5" LCD
  • 12 vs 10MP
  • no IR remote sensor (you can buy an RF one on ebay)
  • 2 less AF points, but same AF CPU and speed. (which is to say better than the XTi)
  • No eye-sensor to auto turn off screen when eye goes to the VF. screen turns off when you touch the shutter button to focus, so no biggie.
  • 14 bit vs 12 bit RAW
  • Slower RAW fps burst
Similarities:
  • Same Digic processor
  • same real IQ
  • same speed
  • same size
  • same kit lens
  • same controls
  • same superlong battery life

About the only other diff is the XSi has spot metering.

I was debating between the two as well. As my first DSLR I just couldn't justify the $200 price difference to get the XSi.

- Sean
my gear
my flickr (external link)

dima1109
247 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 23, 2008 22:13 |  #14

Funny how people thrash the XS so vigorously. I have an XS, and I've played with the XSi plenty at the local Best Buy. Build quality was identical, with the exception of the aforementioned differences in the rubber coatings of hand grips. For me, the relatively minor improvemets did not justify a $200 difference in price, so I went with the cheaper model. I will upgrade to a xxD body in a year or two anyway, once I learn the technique and get better gLass, and so I didn't see a reason to spend extra $200 for features that didn't matter to me. Essentially, the XS is a great starter camera. I am not advocating for the model that I chose, I am merely saying that the XS is most of the XSi and is a great camera for a beginner.

Rebel XS is 95% the same as the XTi, a camera positioned above it, even though it's a generation older. The only significant differences between them are:

- Burst shooting capabilities:
XS: 3 fps / unlimited in L quality, 1.5 fps for 6 frames, 1 thereafter / unlimited in RAW
XTi: 3 fps / 27 frames in L quality, 3 fps / 10 frames in RAW
- Number of focus points (7 in XS vs 9 in XTi)
- Image processors (Digic III in XS vs Digic II in XTi)

I can't understand how people say "XTi/XSi", since an XTi is essentially an XS with faster bust shooting in RAW only (but limited to 27 frames at a time), more focus points, but worse kit lens and older image processor.

Gear
Dima is indeed my real name

dsldub
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 02, 2009 17:25 |  #15

Well, I took the plunge and bought an XSi + accessory kit online over the weekend. Included is a grip, extra battery and a Lowepro bag.
BestBuy had a pretty good deal on them during boxing week.
I'm now waiting for it.

|Canon 30D|

sponsored links

12,168 views & 0 likes for this thread
Diference between XS and XSi
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.