Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 23 Dec 2008 (Tuesday) 13:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First time football shoot (Soccer)

Choccy
THREAD ­ STARTER
40 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 02, 2009 11:05 |  #16

liam5100 wrote in post #6971259 (external link)
I agree with this as well, also soccer is a pretty fast game, 1/640 should be a minimum. Sacrifice the other settings to get this in my opinion. Stopping the action is key to a good sports shot.

It seems you've got an eye for the action, I'd almost guess you probably played soccer quite a bit, thats a definate bonus. The only other tips I would give are too watch your crops and backgrounds.

Is there a reason you didnt crop these tighter?

Yes I was actually going to play but I had the camera and wanted to take pictures as I'd left my boots at home. They told me when I turned up that I was playing but I had to say no.

I will try AV next time and maybe centre weighted. I think if I concentrate a bit more next time I'll get some better pictures. I still feel the lens is back focussing slightly as nothing seems sharp. Hopefully it will be warmer to help me keep an eye on the action.

Choccy...

sponsored links
dinny66
695 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 02, 2009 13:51 |  #17

danaitch wrote in post #6986814 (external link)
I had a similar experience recently. However, I took meter readings from different parts of the field and adjusted my shutter speed accordingly to get the best exposure I could, depending on what part of the field the action was in. Granted, this is dependant on being able to get full access to the field/arena to allow this, but if you can, it's worth it. :)

I was lucky in that the lighting only really varied in the endzones, dropping from 1/500th at ISO6400 and f2.8, to 1/400th at ISO6400 and f2.8. It should have been lower than 1/400th but I wanted to try and freeze SOME of the shots. :(

Blimey that's good lighting!

I'm lucky to get 1/250th @ f2.8 at iso6400 so I'm fighting a right battle to a decent shot! :lol:

Ultimately, I don't have that much control. f2.8 anyway, ISO6400 is OK but needs work, 3200 sometimes. Lighting is fixed, if patchy. Shutter speed is the product of that lot.
All I can control is where I sit or stand to take the shot.
Best thing for me is to stand near a lighting pylon and hope for the best! :lol:

Mike

Mike

MattS
Hatchling
6 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 03, 2009 08:13 |  #18

Choccy,
Your settings are fine with the exception I would strongly recommend you start with evaluative weighting. Getting sharp soccer shots takes time to get accustomed to keeping the center spot focused on the player you intend to shoot. Your experience as a player will be helpful in that you can better anticipate what is going to happen and get your camera in position to capture it. At 3fps this will be important.

If the 450 body has the capability, I would suggest moving the focus control to the * button. As others have said, keeping the shutter speed well above 1/500 is crucial (I would suggest closer to 1/1000 or better if light permits). Use of an open F-stop (i.e 2.8-4.0 vs. 14) provides significantly more light thus allowing for faster shutter speeds. As you probably know, photography is an excercise in compromises. More light with open F-stops comes with a reduction in DOF forcing you to be on target with the focus point. Good place to learn is f/4.0. BTW: if you have a monopod I would recommend its use.

And most important: shoot, shoot, shoot!

Best Regards,
Matt

http://avonsoccer.com (external link)

Best job I ever had? Being retired!

jamesb84
412 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 03, 2009 11:23 |  #19

dinny66 wrote in post #6989367 (external link)
Blimey that's good lighting!

I'm lucky to get 1/250th @ f2.8 at iso6400 so I'm fighting a right battle to a decent shot! :lol:...Mike

Not to make you (all) fiercely jealous...but I regularly get 1/640th @ f2.8 and ISO800. That's at the Liberty Stadium in Swansea, Villa Park is 1/640th @ f2.8 and either ISO640 to ISO800 depending on where you sit (funnily enough, it's a bit patchy at Villa Park).

However, I have a Rugby League Super League licence on the way to me from the agency, and I'll be covering the Celtic Crusaders this season. For those of you that know Wales, C Crusaders play at Brewery Field in Bridgend, and they do NOT have those sort of lighting specs at their ground.

I'm not looking forward to going back to those appalling conditions again!!

James.

Hi, my name is James...and I'm here to hel https://photography-on-the.net …?p=6506577&post​count=1417

brain80
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 03, 2009 15:04 as a reply to  @ post 6986814 |  #20

good sport! and good shoots!

dinny66
695 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 03, 2009 15:47 |  #21

jamesb84 wrote in post #6995130 (external link)
Not to make you (all) fiercely jealous...but I regularly get 1/640th @ f2.8 and ISO800. That's at the Liberty Stadium in Swansea, Villa Park is 1/640th @ f2.8 and either ISO640 to ISO800 depending on where you sit (funnily enough, it's a bit patchy at Villa Park).

However, I have a Rugby League Super League licence on the way to me from the agency, and I'll be covering the Celtic Crusaders this season. For those of you that know Wales, C Crusaders play at Brewery Field in Bridgend, and they do NOT have those sort of lighting specs at their ground.

I'm not looking forward to going back to those appalling conditions again!!

James.

I think I'm going to cry :(:lol:.

Patchy?? I just got in from shooting a home match at Shoreham. The lighting forms in pools about 20-30 ft in front of the floodlight pylon. After that you're on your own! :lol::lol: Step 9 see James. Better off with a torch! :lol:

Mike

jamesb84
412 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 05, 2009 05:39 |  #22

dinny66 wrote in post #6996529 (external link)
I think I'm going to cry :(:lol:.

Patchy?? I just got in from shooting a home match at Shoreham. The lighting forms in pools about 20-30 ft in front of the floodlight pylon. After that you're on your own! :lol::lol: Step 9 see James. Better off with a torch! :lol:

Haha, well, when you're used to the best, then anything less is patchy and annoying!

James.

Hi, my name is James...and I'm here to hel https://photography-on-the.net …?p=6506577&post​count=1417

Choccy
THREAD ­ STARTER
40 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 10, 2009 09:26 |  #23

I do have a question that I hope can be answered here and that is would I be better of getting a 40D/50D as next upgrade or 5DmkII. The focus on the 450D is quite slow and I'm not sure if the 70-200mm F4 is slightly back focussing or if it is the camera.

Choccy...

jamesb84
412 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 10, 2009 12:11 |  #24

Choccy wrote in post #7045461 (external link)
I do have a question that I hope can be answered here and that is would I be better of getting a 40D/50D as next upgrade or 5DmkII. The focus on the 450D is quite slow and I'm not sure if the 70-200mm F4 is slightly back focussing or if it is the camera.

Choccy...

If you're going to be using the body for sports primarily, then I would sugget the 40D/50D as you'll find that unless you've got a 400mm lens, the crop factor will help you out a bit. Plus, the AF and FPS are a bit more optimised for sports and action than the 5DmkII.

Just my take on it, the 50D is a nice camera, and it's a good step up.

I went from 350D to 30D and it was like a renaissance for my photos.

James.

MattS
Hatchling
6 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 25, 2009 10:24 |  #25

Choccy wrote in post #7045461 (external link)

Choccy...

If those are your choices, then go for the 50D. An alternative to consider is a used 1dMkII which can be found equal to or less than a new 50D. This body is by far the one to use if you are serious about sports photography.

Regards,
Matt

Best job I ever had? Being retired!

dinny66
695 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 25, 2009 12:39 |  #26

Used 1d2N mate. I've got both 50D and 1d2n and the 1d2n really rocks for football. The AF is awesome, and has completely brought my 120-300mm back to life.
The N is just that bit nicer than the 1d2 imho. Pictures styles you'll be familiar with. Better lcd (not as good as 50D, but I only use it for histogram and rough idea of composition, nothing else).
Really really good. You really notice the step up from the 50D. Smaller sensor means less cropability but still damn good. I'm loving it!

M

Mike

Choccy
THREAD ­ STARTER
40 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 09, 2009 01:58 |  #27

dinny66 wrote in post #7183847 (external link)
Used 1d2N mate. I've got both 50D and 1d2n and the 1d2n really rocks for football. The AF is awesome, and has completely brought my 120-300mm back to life.
The N is just that bit nicer than the 1d2 imho. Pictures styles you'll be familiar with. Better lcd (not as good as 50D, but I only use it for histogram and rough idea of composition, nothing else).
Really really good. You really notice the step up from the 50D. Smaller sensor means less cropability but still damn good. I'm loving it!

M

Thanks for the reply. I have been looking at a second hand 1DmkII. Just wondering if anyone knows how much a shutter replacement in the UK is roughly.

Choccy...

sponsored links

3,815 views & 0 likes for this thread
First time football shoot (Soccer)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.