Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 05 Jan 2009 (Monday) 17:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Posing ideas

GeologyROCKS
430 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 05, 2009 17:47 |  #1

I have a wedding coming up this summer and the bride is in a wheelchair (paralyzed from the waist down after an auto accident), and I just wanted to see if anyone has ever done a wedding session w/ the client in a wheelchair or if anyone has any creative ideas. They are both auto fanatics, so I plan do do something special with the both of them and their vehicles, but any additional input would be greatly appreciated.

5dMKII x2 l 1dMKiv l 35L l 70-200 f/2.8 IS L l 17-55 2.8 IS l 50mm 1.2 l 85L l 135L l 300mm 2.8 l 400mm f/4 580ex II l 430ex II x2l Manfrotto Tripod & Head

sponsored links
Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 05, 2009 17:57 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

That's a difficult one, i'd suggest shoots theming around wheels but that may be taken as too offensive. Talk with them about what they want, that's the safest way to go about it.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

dngrCharlie
146 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 05, 2009 18:32 |  #3

I'm going to suggest that, for some people in this situation, making the pictures as "normal" as possible will be most appreciated. Some people embrace their special needs and have no problem making that part of them prominent but a lot of people don't, especially if the accident was recent.

Canon 40D ■ Canon 350D ■ Canon S5 IS ■ Canon 24-105 F4L ■ Canon 17-55 2.8 IS ■ Tamron 17-50 F2.8 ■ Canon 75-300 ■ Litespeed Classic ■ Fender Stratocaster ■ Esteve Fernandez Valencia
Photo Gallery: http://www.rawsophisti​cation.com (external link)

moeronn
Goldmember
2,516 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 05, 2009 18:50 |  #4

Definitely talk to the B&G about how they want to deal with it. As mentioned above, it could go either way. Some people would be offended if you tried to hide part of their current identity, while others might rather try and avoid showing it at all.

flickr (external link)

GeologyROCKS
THREAD ­ STARTER
430 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 05, 2009 19:19 |  #5

dngrCharlie wrote in post #7011717 (external link)
I'm going to suggest that, for some people in this situation, making the pictures as "normal" as possible will be most appreciated. Some people embrace their special needs and have no problem making that part of them prominent but a lot of people don't, especially if the accident was recent.

She definately embraces it, the B&G are both good friends of mine and she doesn't let her accident slow her down at all (accident happened about 10 years ago). She drives a lowered f-150, finished college w/ a degree in education and is extremely self sufficient and loves her truck and going to car shows, etc. Which is why I want to do something involving both of their vehicles.

I will be sitting down with them sometime soon and going over everything and hasing out the detail.

5dMKII x2 l 1dMKiv l 35L l 70-200 f/2.8 IS L l 17-55 2.8 IS l 50mm 1.2 l 85L l 135L l 300mm 2.8 l 400mm f/4 580ex II l 430ex II x2l Manfrotto Tripod & Head

4Bucks
660 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 06, 2009 04:05 |  #6

Looking forward to the results of your shoot with them.
Rob

4Bucks does not = photo for $... Four Buckleys in the family
A must read for all new to photography: Ben's Newbie Guide https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=414088
My stuff: 7D, some lenses, and OCFs
Facebook (external link)

Dennis_Hammer
820 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 07, 2009 08:53 as a reply to  @ 4Bucks's post |  #7

I would get her out of the wheel chair and into an appropiate regular chair (appropiate to the setting of the formals). Have a matching chair for the groom and have the bridal party stand semi-circle behind them. Do B&G with her sitting Groom standing. Groom sitting on the floor and Bride leaning onto his shoulders from behind etc etc. Think out of the box, not wedding photos more like portrait styles.

AdrianeCale
193 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 10, 2009 15:28 |  #8

If she embraces the chair, then you should too. I've never done a wedding with this situation, but I've seen weddings where they've got to the extent of decorating the chair to match the gown. Do a mix if the traditional "everyone standing at the altar" shots, and then bring everyone down to her level for some more informal shots (sitting on the altar steps, or outside somewhere in the grass or something). If he's able to hold her, have some shots of him cradling her in his arms, that's always cute.

It's not the camera you use, it's how you use it!
www.TTLGPhotography.co​m (external link)
Canon Powershot G7 & it's various attachments, Canon Rebel XSi,
18-55mm lens, Canon Speedlite EX430

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 10, 2009 15:40 |  #9

She'll probably be wearing a dress, have her hair done and makeup all perfect, and they fellow most likely in a tux, so treat it just like any other wedding while working around the limitations.

I personally think the hardest aspect will be to keep the wheelchair from distracting from other more important elements in the photo's. That will be a challenge, but not as great as the challenge she has faced living with the disability from one day to the next. Now you share in her challenges.

Unfortunately t here are not many photo's out there that can be viewed to get idea's in arranging the wedding party for formals. Just use the chair as part of the composition and pull the wedding dress out front and the train behind just like you do for your typical bride.

You can also concentrate on waist upward for portraits as long as you don't leave out the full length shots altogether.

Yola
253 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 10, 2009 18:16 as a reply to  @ RandyMN's post |  #10

Awesome challenge .....I am proud of you .

In todays day and age a wheelchair .. is not just a wheeler . Many have motility lever changes .

Find out of she has a auto lever, rider .......she can even play basketball { this a with on a lite note } ... since Idont know .

Also , treat the wedding as a regular shoot ! Most likly you will have too center her and her hubby ....the family bridesmaids and grooms will have too wrap the pic .

Get , as much info upon her travels .. you know she will be fancily dressed and perfect .
What a wonderous challege .

Yola
www.yolabriggs.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,904 views & 0 likes for this thread
Posing ideas
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.