Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 07 Jan 2009 (Wednesday) 20:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Paypal fund status "on hold-ship now"?

psinkant
419 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 07, 2009 21:14 |  #16

SwiftFootTim wrote in post #7028242 (external link)
IT has to do with Ebay's new structure. If you have under 100 sales or some number, and then you sell an item over $100.00. They hold the funds until 3 days after an item is shown as having been delivered, feedback is left, or 21 days after the close of the auction. All in the name of protecting the buyer.

what he said...

I sold something on ebay 2 months ago and they held my money until the buyer left me a positive feedback..I got my money eventually.

-FF and crop bodies w/ some lenses and S90-

sponsored links
bobjames
255 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 07, 2009 21:15 as a reply to  @ post 7028294 |  #17

Suppose I sell a mint 50D for $900.
The buyer sends Paypal the money.
Paypal asks me to ship, funds being "on hold".
The buyer receives the camera in perfect condition.
However, he notifies Paypal/eBay that the camera is defective, or that there was a rock in the box and no camera, or some other story.
Will Paypal refund his money? Will Paypal wait until he ships the camera/rock back to me and shows proof of shipment?
Sounds like I might be out $900 through this noble Paypal/eBay effort to protect the buyer.

bobjames
255 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 07, 2009 21:17 |  #18

quack332002 wrote in post #7028323 (external link)
Thanks. I'll head to the post office and ship it off. Thanks!

AGAIN, DO NOT SHIP!! Read my post about possible fraud.

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,317 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Jan 07, 2009 21:17 |  #19

bobjames wrote in post #7028294 (external link)
Are Paypal/eBay paying interest on the 21 days???

with the current interest rates that would be about a nickel :D.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

Samgoit
826 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 07, 2009 21:19 as a reply to  @ psinkant's post |  #20

I use FedEx (often cheaper than USPS). If you don't ship via paypal's automated system, you can still enter a tracking # on their site. Once the item is delivered you can call PayPal and have them release your funds before the 21 days are up. This is even without buyer feedback.

showngo
250 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 07, 2009 21:19 |  #21

I just went through this on a $2000 sale. It worked out fine. It all comes down to trust. This is basically escrow.

Yeah it would be nice if you got interest, but you don't.

eBay / Paypal are all about the buyer lately, really getting on my nerves. You should trust Paypal, not the buyer. Take pictures of your packaging and everything and send it off. Then if you have problem get a hold of Paypal with your proof.

My 2 cents.

Ben
My Gear (external link)

bobjames
255 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 07, 2009 21:22 as a reply to  @ showngo's post |  #22

eBay / Paypal are all about the buyer lately, really getting on my nerves. You should trust Paypal, not the buyer. Take pictures of your packaging and everything and send it off. Then if you have problem get a hold of Paypal with your proof.

Like that's gonna work.
A buyer can claim the seller took all the pictures he wanted and still shipped a rock.

Samgoit
826 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 07, 2009 21:23 |  #23

bobjames wrote in post #7028353 (external link)
AGAIN, DO NOT SHIP!! Read my post about possible fraud.

PayPal does do this. If you login directly to the site, it will show On Hold - Ship now under Account history

markubig
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 07, 2009 21:24 |  #24

so how does paypal/ebay determine what gets held and what doesn't? I sold 2 cameras on the same day and the funds from the cheaper sale was held. I got the funds from the more expensive sale immediately.

Another problem I have with this system is that people tend procrastinate on leaving feedback. I had to send a few emails to the buyer to ask him to give me the feedback because I couldn't get my money until he did.

~Mark
Canon 7D |40D
Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM | Tamron SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD | Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 MACRO USM

Canon Speedlites 580exII, 5800ex

ddjchemist
621 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 07, 2009 21:24 |  #25

Are you sure that you are not scammed? Make sure to log-in your PayPal account directly through PayPal.com. Do not log-in by opening any link in your email. I sold hundreds of items on eBay and have never had the same experience you had. If buyer uses e-check, PayPal indicates to hold the funds until the check clears.

DDJ

markubig
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 07, 2009 21:26 |  #26

ddjchemist wrote in post #7028412 (external link)
Are you sure that you are not scammed? Make sure to log-in your PayPal account directly through PayPal.com. Do not log-in by opening any link in your email. I sold hundreds of items on eBay and have never had the same experience you had. If buyer uses e-check, PayPal indicates to hold the funds until the check clears.

i think we're all pretty sure it's not a scam . . . it's happened to a bunch of us already and we've all received our funds (well . . . at least I have)

~Mark
Canon 7D |40D
Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM | Tamron SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD | Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 MACRO USM

Samgoit
826 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 07, 2009 21:27 |  #27

markubig wrote in post #7028407 (external link)
so how does paypal/ebay determine what gets held and what doesn't? I sold 2 cameras on the same day and the funds from the cheaper sale was held. I got the funds from the more expensive sale immediately.

Basically, it's at their will. I called and was given a few variables:
Amount of $$$
Ebay Feedback # and type

Another problem I have with this system is that people tend procrastinate on leaving feedback. I had to send a few emails to the buyer to ask him to give me the feedback because I couldn't get my money until he did.

I had this problem, too. After you can show a package has been delivered, they can release the funds if you phone them without buyer feedback.

Scout7id
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 07, 2009 21:30 |  #28

ddjchemist wrote in post #7028412 (external link)

You sold HUNDREDS of items. This is a relatively new policy of eBay/Paypal. UNDER ONE HUNDRED transactions and you get flagged and your money is held.

-- Don Fuller --
I am a veteran. At seventeen I wrote a blank check payable to the "United States of America" for an amount up to and including my life.

markubig
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 07, 2009 21:33 |  #29

Scout7id wrote in post #7028454 (external link)
UNDER ONE HUNDRED transactions and you get flagged and your money is held.

oh crap, so considering that i only sell 1 (maybe 2) items a year, i will be 75 years old when I get the free pass :rolleyes:;):p

~Mark
Canon 7D |40D

Samgoit
826 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 07, 2009 21:34 |  #30

Scout7id wrote in post #7028454 (external link)
You sold HUNDREDS of items. This is a relatively new policy of eBay/Paypal. UNDER ONE HUNDRED transactions and you get flagged and your money is held.

It's is based on value as well. I believe it's $100. I have less than 100 feedback. I have sold a few things recently. Anything under $100 was not put on hold.

sponsored links

4,504 views & 0 likes for this thread
Paypal fund status "on hold-ship now"?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.