Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 07 Jan 2009 (Wednesday) 20:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Paypal fund status "on hold-ship now"?

4g63photo
Goldmember
2,743 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 09, 2009 00:35 |  #46

I wonder if this will be with every item or just certain ones.

-Fernando-
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
dr1ft
284 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 09, 2009 06:32 |  #47

It's with all items.

-Vik
http://www.sejvik.com (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 09, 2009 07:50 |  #48

sandpiper wrote in post #7028609 (external link)
It's not really any less safe than when funds are cleared straight into your account before you ship the item.

OK, so if they say they didn't receive the 50D, you won't get your $900 out of limbo. The old way, even though you had received the money, if the buyer complained that they didn't get the 50D Paypal would simply debit your account and take back the $900.

In either case though, so long as you followed Paypal rules and can show the tracking for the parcel and that it had been delivered you will be covered (erm, probably, you may need to argue your case a bit).

I have to say that with over a thousand sales on ebay, I have never yet had a problem with Paypal or had a single chargeback to contend with. It isn't a hundred percent safe, but what is? Even cash can be counterfeit.

Follow the rules and you are unlikely to lose money. Many who complain that Paypal took the money back didn't pay the extra for tracking on the parcel, so weren't covered by the seller protection schemes.

Heads up for those not familiar with PayPal policy - you must have signature proof for payments over $250. This means signature confirmation if sent USPS and signature required with no waiver for UPS and FedEx.

Flickr (external link)

pmk
675 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 09, 2009 08:07 as a reply to  @ K6AZ's post |  #49

I think the 100 minimum number of feedbacks is much too much for an individual / non-commercial seller. I think eBay should reduce this to, say, 20 100% positive sales.

Paypal may be enforcing this new rule, but it is eBay that enacted it (and eBay owns Paypal). More and more, eBay is become a storefront for Powersellers, and small guys like me ( w/ 54 100% positive feedbacks over 4+ years) are getting pushed out.

I doubt I'll be doing much eBay selling in the future.

pmk

Canon 7D ~ S100 ~ Canon 24-105L IS~ Canon 100-400L ~ Canon 17-55 ~ Canon 10-22 ~ Canon 100 Macro ~ Canon 580EXII & 430EX ~ Gitzo GT2530 ~ All in a Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

Singlespeed Photography (external link)

4g63photo
Goldmember
2,743 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 09, 2009 08:43 |  #50

This policy is just a waste of time. It may help some people but like PMK stated it pushes small sellers out. Selling equipment is not possible any more. I have to ship, hopefully the person gets it and does not want to pull any funny business. It just seems shady but oh well. I cant do a thing about it except not use it.

-Fernando-
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

Ducky ­ 2.0T
216 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 09, 2009 09:40 |  #51

This would have been nice when the Xbox 360's came out and the scammer I bought the Xbox from took the money and ran. He scammed 10 people for $450. All I got back from paypal was $250 and they charge $25 for the process.

Canon 5DII
Canon 100-400L, Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm F/1.4
7 Million Dollar Home - Speedlite 430 EX - Manfrotto Magfiber Tripod

Ducky ­ 2.0T
216 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 09, 2009 09:42 |  #52

pmk wrote in post #7038230 (external link)
I think the 100 minimum number of feedbacks is much too much for an individual / non-commercial seller. I think eBay should reduce this to, say, 20 100% positive sales.

The problem is..

People sell $.01 items (most likely to a friend/ family) to boost their feedback.

Canon 5DII

bobjames
255 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 09, 2009 10:56 |  #53

Ducky 2.0T wrote in post #7038718 (external link)
The problem is..

People sell $.01 items (most likely to a friend/ family) to boost their feedback.

Indeed. You can't just check the feedback number, you have to go to the actual items sold or bought. If you see a jump from $10 items to a $500 item, watch out.

markubig
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 09, 2009 11:23 |  #54

K6AZ wrote in post #7038164 (external link)
Heads up for those not familiar with PayPal policy - you must have signature proof for payments over $250. This means signature confirmation if sent USPS and signature required with no waiver for UPS and FedEx.

that is good to know, so thanks for reminding us!

~Mark
Canon 7D |40D
Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM | Tamron SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD | Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 MACRO USM

Canon Speedlites 580exII, 5800ex

Ducky ­ 2.0T
216 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 09, 2009 11:47 |  #55

K6AZ wrote in post #7038164 (external link)

I don't think a signature is required for UPS or Fedex.

Section 11.8
https://www.paypal.com …webscr?cmd=_upd​ate-policy (external link)

Anywhere; Any value; Any international shipping service that provides door-to-door tracking that is viewable online, such as those offered by UPS, FedEx, or DHL

VS.

United States; $250.00 USD or more; USPS: any service with Signature Confirmation

Canon 5DII

robbrouse
113 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 09, 2009 12:29 |  #56

Well they can take it out of your bank account or the credit card on file. I have never had problems as a seller. The biggest thing is ship to a confirmed address and Pay pal will back you up most of the time. I hate eBay (the fess). But it the fastest place to sell.

iceman1 wrote in post #7028653 (external link)
Based on my experience a year or two ago, you would be out of luck and $900...I once sold a CPU that I could never get working in a couple different motherboards, so I sold it on eBay clearly stating I could not get it to work and also stating it was sold "as-is" with no refunds because of it. An eBayer bought it and couldn't get it to work. I even assisted him in troubleshooting it. So then the buyer demands a refund and files a complaint with PayPal stating I deliberately sold a defective item. I point PayPal to my auction description, but that apparently that means nothing to PayPal--PayPal jerked back my money to the buyer. This money was in my PayPal balance so PayPal didn't have any issues refunding the buyer. However, if my PayPal balance would have been empty, PayPal would have likely been breathing down my neck for the funds.

This system itsn't to protect the buyer, its to protect PayPal themselves so a credit card company isn't demanding money from them.

I have been on the other end of this too. I bought an item and the seller never shipped it, deregistered from eBay and all. I sent a complaint to PayPal to get my money back, but they basically said "no promisses, but we'll try." Several months later, I got a refund for under a dollar....the original item was $30+. I assume the seller was moving money around and a small amount was accidently put into thier balance whitch was automatically refunded to me. I guess this is where the new system comes in handy, but it sure is a pain for sellers,

robbrouse
113 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 09, 2009 12:33 |  #57

I think is at 100, because you could sell or buy some cheap stuff and then try to stiff someone. I like eBay must better in the old days, before they bought PayPal. You get it from both ends. Between the 2 fees it's like 10% of the selling price.

pmk wrote in post #7038230 (external link)

Paypal may be enforcing this new rule, but it is eBay that enacted it (and eBay owns Paypal). More and more, eBay is become a storefront for Powersellers, and small guys like me ( w/ 54 100% positive feedbacks over 4+ years) are getting pushed out.

I doubt I'll be doing much eBay selling in the future.

pmk

zeva
Goldmember
2,533 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 09, 2009 12:34 |  #58

Hmm i might argue that it is faster to sell camera equipment here than there...

40D :20D: Speedlite 430ex
100-400 F/4.5-5.6 L :17-55 F/2.8 IS :28-135 F/3.5-5.6 IS: 18-55 F/3.5-5.6: 10-22 F/3.5-4.5: 70-200 F/2.8 IS

jrdbrn
629 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 09, 2009 12:48 |  #59

bobjames wrote in post #7028232 (external link)
DO NOT SHIP!!
Don't ship anything until you have the money in your bank account.
My guess is that you're being scammed and you won't ever see that money.

This is the new PayPal/eBay system. The seller gets their money either by shipping the item with a tracking number and/or receives positive feedback.

Canon 50D
Canon BG-E2N
Canon 24-105mm IS L
Canon 580EX

dan ­ j
Goldmember
1,575 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 09, 2009 13:04 |  #60

robbrouse wrote in post #7039802 (external link)
Well they can take it out of your bank account or the credit card on file.

No they can' just reach into a separate bank account or credit card and take money they feel they're due. If they could, everyone would.

dan

5D Mark 2/24-70L/100-400L

sponsored links

4,506 views & 0 likes for this thread
Paypal fund status "on hold-ship now"?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.