Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 08 Aug 2005 (Monday) 20:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Light Meter - 20D - Studio Strobes

MadMesh
715 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 08, 2005 20:01 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

I have a 20D, and i do use the internal light meter for the bulk of my shots. Since ETTL dedicated flash and the camera usually do a great job for me.

When im using strobes, i know ETTL aint gona work. So im guessing i need a good light meter to pair up with my 20D.

Im going to by buying some strobes soon, i just wanted to see, what type of light meter should i be looking for. Incident, Reflective, Spot .. ect. Is comeone can please explane the different types of modes for a light meter, I would appreicate it.

I understand they also have light meters that do Color Temp, is this something i need too? Since the 20D had a custom white balance mode, + I always shoot in RAW, is this something i can skip out on to help save some $?

Canon 20D w/ 18-55 Lens Kit, 6 gigs CF Cards
580ex & 420ex Flash, tripod, Canon case, tripod, various filters
Canon ELAN 7 & 14mm L Prime for Landscapes
50mm f/1.8, 70-200 IS L,
Canon White EF-S 10-22 L
IBM T40 Thinkpad
Apple Power Mac G5 w/ Photoshop CS, 2 Gigs Ram, 600 GIGs Storage, and a 20.1" Widescreen LCD to help thoes 8 megapixels shine. :evil:
1000 Gigs Rackmounted RAID server storage comming soon.

sponsored links
scottbergerphoto
Cream of the Crop
5,429 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Aug 08, 2005 20:29 |  #2

1. You need a flash meter which is by definition an incident meter. The Sekonic L358 is a good start and can be used to fire PW's with the optional module.
2. Color Temp meters are over $1000. You can skip it. Just include a white or grey card in your first shot of the series and set the WB to that in the raw coverter.

One World, One Voice Against Terror,
Best Regards,
Scott
ScottBergerPhotography (external link)

MadMesh
THREAD ­ STARTER
715 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 08, 2005 20:36 as a reply to  @ scottbergerphoto's post |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

If im not mistaken, arnt the Alien Bees , or any strobe , about 5500K color temp? So setting the camera to that color and i should be good to go?

Also, for taking picture under lighting i dont have a color temp for, cant i just take a picture of the bulb (or light source) and then just set it to custom WB, or that is NOT the correct way of doing it?

If i rule out a light beter with color temp, what are some other feature to look for that might be usefull. For example, i do a lot of night time long exposure photography of things like buildings and like this. (see attached picture)

Id really like a good all around light meter that will pair up real nice with a 20D, I dont mind spending a little extra if it means im going to get good accuracy with a meter that had a lof of useful functions. Ive heard a spot meter is another good thing to have, but doesnt the camera (20D) also do that?

MadMesh

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

50mm f/1.8, 70-200 IS L,
Canon White EF-S 10-22 L
IBM T40 Thinkpad
Apple Power Mac G5 w/ Photoshop CS, 2 Gigs Ram, 600 GIGs Storage, and a 20.1" Widescreen LCD to help thoes 8 megapixels shine. :evil:

tim
Light Bringer
50,985 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 08, 2005 20:44 |  #4

I just got the L358, it's pretty easy to use and seems to work fine.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

tim
Light Bringer
50,985 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 08, 2005 20:46 |  #5

Read your camera manual - it says how to do a custom white ballance. From there you can work out the color temperature and manually enter it next time. AFAIK you can't just shoot the bulb.

The 20D doesn't have a spot meter, it has partial metering. The L358 doesn't do spot metering, but I think you can get a spot meter attachment - Scott will know.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Goondockjeff
66 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 08, 2005 20:47 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #6

tim wrote:
I just got the L358, it's pretty easy to use and seems to work fine.

Me too, what he said.

I use it in combination with an alien bees multi lite controller to flash all three of my strobes at one time and get great readings with is, very easy to use.

Canon 5d Mark II

MadMesh
THREAD ­ STARTER
715 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 08, 2005 20:51 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

correct me if in wrong, but spot metering is only if i want to isolate the exposure of a certain object... For example a phone sitting on a desk full of other stuff? And your trying to make sure the exposure of the phone is 100% correct.

Also, can someone please direct me towards the right direction on the different types of light meter functions,.. somewhere where i can learn about incident, reflective, bla bla bla... I know incident is the light hitting the subject. And the cameras ETTL meter uses reflective metering?

50mm f/1.8, 70-200 IS L,
Canon White EF-S 10-22 L
IBM T40 Thinkpad

scottbergerphoto
Cream of the Crop
5,429 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Aug 09, 2005 07:09 as a reply to  @ MadMesh's post |  #8

I think alot of this would make sense to you if you sat down and read a book on metering. I suggest Farzaad's book on Spot Metering, available at Amazon.

One World, One Voice Against Terror,
Best Regards,
Scott
ScottBergerPhotography (external link)

sponsored links

3,571 views & 0 likes for this thread
Light Meter - 20D - Studio Strobes
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.