Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 01 Oct 2007 (Monday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Gymnastics Sharing Thread..

PM01
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 12, 2008 14:29 |  #721

GBRandy wrote in post #4333751 (external link)
MKIIn, 135 / f2 lens, 1/640 @ f2, ISO 3200.

Even at that speed you can see movement in her feet & fingers....

Some gyms do not allow for that high a shutter speed... One gym we go to we are lucky to get above 1/120... :(

As Brice and others stated, f2.8 is as slow as a lens as you can consider for these venues and why I own the 50, 85 & 135 lenses.....

Back in the day I had old Canon FD and some Minolta gear. Try shooting with a 5.6 lens, 200 speed print film. Now that's SLOW! About 1/10th of a second in the really really dim gyms. The real awakening I had was when I switched over to a 2.8 lens with the EOS gear, 400 speed film and some 800 press fuji film. A bit better, but doesn't compare to the ultimate setup that I have now. The 200 1.8L EF and the 85 1.2L EF II with a real working Mark 3 body. ISO 1600/3200 with ease.

A far cry from those 1/10th to 1/15th of a second days. Way before the days of IS / VR and that's where you HAD to learn techniques of keeping an image sharp. Learned the hard way!

sponsored links
fiveFPS
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 13, 2008 07:00 |  #722

PM01 wrote in post #6094360 (external link)
Back in the day I had old Canon FD and some Minolta gear. Try shooting with a 5.6 lens, 200 speed print film. Now that's SLOW! About 1/10th of a second in the really really dim gyms. The real awakening I had was when I switched over to a 2.8 lens with the EOS gear, 400 speed film and some 800 press fuji film. A bit better, but doesn't compare to the ultimate setup that I have now. The 200 1.8L EF and the 85 1.2L EF II with a real working Mark 3 body. ISO 1600/3200 with ease.

A far cry from those 1/10th to 1/15th of a second days. Way before the days of IS / VR and that's where you HAD to learn techniques of keeping an image sharp. Learned the hard way!

very clean photo @ 3200 iso

Canon XTI | Canon 430ex | Crumpler 7MDH | 18-55mm

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 23, 2008 22:07 as a reply to  @ PM01's post |  #723

Created a magazine cover.

What do you think?

IMAGE: http://thewolfords.com/POTN/Magazine-Cover.jpg

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

PM01
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 24, 2008 20:32 as a reply to  @ bwolford's post |  #724

Not bad!

IMO, an action shot would have had better "grabbing" for the cover.

But it's tough to shoot in gym lighting. Especially at some of the high schools.

Magic ­ 24
548 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 24, 2008 22:10 as a reply to  @ PM01's post |  #725

Too much background! A larger image of the girl would be better IMHO. Though it already shows some noise...maybe a run though NN.

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 27, 2008 14:29 as a reply to  @ Magic 24's post |  #726

Thanks for the input.

This was run through Noise Ninja. This is a cleaned up 1600 ISO image from a Mark IIN.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

PM01
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 10, 2009 01:37 as a reply to  @ bwolford's post |  #727

ISO 3200 with the 1dm3, 200 1.8L EF lens.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

fugfuggy
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 10, 2009 12:31 |  #728

bwolford wrote in post #6550657 (external link)
What do you think?
QUOTED IMAGE

I like it! I did one of these for my little one and she loved it. I tried to find a template to work from with no success so I had to create it from scratch in PS. Is that what you did?

I have not been around for a while so I will update the group. Our gym has always had two teams. The main team is the USAG team and they are pretty intense. The other is the USAIGC team and they are a lot more relaxed and they are all optional, even at the lowest levels they all make up their own routines. They only workout 6-8 hours per week, a far cry from my little ones 20+ hrs per week.

I never knew this but my little monkey has had her eyes on the other team for a while. She has been struggling on bars for a couple of years now, which has prevented her to rise in the compulsory levels. However, on every other event she has ALL of her L6 skills that she cannot use in competitions.

She made the decision that she would rather join the other team and be able to use all of her skills than to stay with the USAG team. This sport is all consuming for both the girls and the families and our routine has been so engrained over the last 5 years that I am having a hard time adjusting. That being said, I took a step back for a while.

She just finished the USAG Level 5 season and now she is preparing for the USAIGC competition season that starts next month. I will start shooting all new girls with all different routines that I have never seen so it will be a new challenge. Wish me luck!

P.S. Brice, how is your daughter doing?

Dmab
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 10, 2009 21:39 |  #729

PM01 wrote in post #7044230 (external link)

Wow, that 200 1.8 aint no joke (neither is its price tag :eek:)

Great shot!

Dan
=======
Gear List

PM01
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 10, 2009 21:53 as a reply to  @ Dmab's post |  #730

Thanks Dmab!

I'll get to try out the 200/2.0L EF IS at another meet tomorrow. That and with the 1dm3 and the 5dm2. And yes, I will have my tried and true 200 1.8L EF on hand with me too. :)

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 11, 2009 11:49 |  #731

fugfuggy wrote in post #7046452 (external link)
I like it! I did one of these for my little one and she loved it. I tried to find a template to work from with no success so I had to create it from scratch in PS. Is that what you did?

I have not been around for a while so I will update the group. Our gym has always had two teams. The main team is the USAG team and they are pretty intense. The other is the USAIGC team and they are a lot more relaxed and they are all optional, even at the lowest levels they all make up their own routines. They only workout 6-8 hours per week, a far cry from my little ones 20+ hrs per week.

I never knew this but my little monkey has had her eyes on the other team for a while. She has been struggling on bars for a couple of years now, which has prevented her to rise in the compulsory levels. However, on every other event she has ALL of her L6 skills that she cannot use in competitions.

She made the decision that she would rather join the other team and be able to use all of her skills than to stay with the USAG team. This sport is all consuming for both the girls and the families and our routine has been so engrained over the last 5 years that I am having a hard time adjusting. That being said, I took a step back for a while.

She just finished the USAG Level 5 season and now she is preparing for the USAIGC competition season that starts next month. I will start shooting all new girls with all different routines that I have never seen so it will be a new challenge. Wish me luck!

P.S. Brice, how is your daughter doing?

Sarah is doing wonderfully. She's fully recovered and just started her second level 10 season. First meet under our belt. The photos will be posted in the "season" thread. She's very confident for having been out for almost 10 months with her back. She came in third.

I hear you about your monkey's situation. I think I really understand what's she's thinking. This should be fun and if it isn't they need to reconsider. If this lower pressure option brings more joy for the sport to her it's perfect, IMHO. I wish her the best. Keep us aprised...

By the way, this is the cover we wound up using as a template (I did create my own). The idea was to present a "post awards" pose.

IMAGE: http://thewolfords.com/POTN/SarahMagazine.jpg
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Brice
Gear List

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 11, 2009 11:51 |  #732

PM01 wrote in post #7044230 (external link)

Auburn is one of my daughter's preferences. She wants to make a visit this summer. Nice shot!

I'm really impressed with the lack of noise at 3200. It's far less than my IIN at 1600. Another year or two and the next generation will have me back in the camera market. I promised the Frau, 5 years with the IIN. :)

Brice
Gear List

PM01
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 12, 2009 23:53 as a reply to  @ bwolford's post |  #733

Here's another one at NIU. ISO3200, 5dm2, 200 2.0L EF IS at f/2.0 :)

I used CS4 raw conversion on this one. The new DPP 3.5.2 software really softens everything up to where it looks mushy. CS4 is at least the most faithful in conversion.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sidx001
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 22, 2009 09:22 |  #734

Just to freshen up this thread, here are a couple that I shot 2 weeks ago...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

James Smith
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=586230
My Gear

run53
149 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 23, 2009 20:57 as a reply to  @ sidx001's post |  #735

Here are some recent ones from a High School gymnastics meet. This gym was fairly well lit (probably best I've ever shot in) but the colors were off. This is my second season shooting gymnastics, so still fairly green. Feel free to fire away with any CC. I'd love to get better.

Settings are:
1600 ISO
f/2
1/500
Manual Mode
Center Focus Point, AI Servo

Camera: 40D
Lens: 85 f1.8
Shot all in RAW

1. Bars dismount - full twist off high bar

IMAGE NOT FOUND

2. Handspring vault - this one is soft
IMAGE NOT FOUND

3. Beam dismount - full
IMAGE NOT FOUND

4. Suke vault
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Canon 40D* Canon XT * Canon 430EX II * Canon 85 f/1.8 * Canon 70-200 f/2.8ISL * Canon 18-55 IS * Manfrotto 3021XPROB w/488RC2

sponsored links

114,676 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Gymnastics Sharing Thread..
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.