Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 09 Jan 2009 (Friday) 09:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Smoking Lamb

macobee
Goldmember
1,843 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 09, 2009 09:46 |  #1

Pls C&C
You all must be thinking this Chef dont know how to cook he only shots pictures of drinks?....right so I moved my arse today and cooked Some Cinnamon Smoked Lamb which isblowtorched after marinating, then quickly cooled, cold smoked en subsequently vacuum packed with an array of herbs, seasonings and spices. it is then slow cooked in a water bath at 65 degrees celsius for 2 hours, to create a fully cooked, beautiful pink supertender piece of lamb. it is presented here with Baby Beets and Turnip, Grilled Cepe Mushroom, Red Silver Onion and Cherries. yes indeed the large tree barks is indeed Cinnamon.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/marcoveringa/ (external link)

sponsored links
SwingBopper
Goldmember
2,664 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 09, 2009 09:57 |  #2

Damn I'm gettin' hungry! Very nice presentation and description. Can you ship that to Japan?

EOS 5D II, 40D, Sony R1, Olympus 1030, Canon S5-IS.
"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything." A. Hamilton

howaboutnow
Goldmember
1,091 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 09, 2009 10:08 |  #3

Both pics are very nice, the first one is neat because of the smoke! Nicely done.

-- Suzanne
Believe in yourself.
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi -Canon EF-S Zoom lens - 17 mm - 85 mm - F/4.0-5.6 - Canon EF Lens - 50 mm - F/1.8
Canon EW-78B II Lens hood - Manfrotto tripod (728B)

macobee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,843 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 09, 2009 10:31 |  #4

Thank you very much for your kind comments, but dont you hink its a bit disturbing in the first pic the right side of the plate is so dark, the 2 slices of lamb are almost black

Focus
72 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 09, 2009 11:03 as a reply to  @ macobee's post |  #5

Looks appetizing, If I were to change anything (to the 1st picture and not the recipe) I would have maybe worked on the composition and tried to fit the whole plate in the picture...
great work, and great food

http://www.beiruttomon​treal.com/ (external link)

macobee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,843 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 09, 2009 11:23 |  #6

Thanks Focus, this one has a bit more plate in it but none has all of the plate in the vertical piccies

IMAGE NOT FOUND

mmishkin
80 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 09, 2009 11:55 as a reply to  @ macobee's post |  #7

Very nice presentation!

I've noticed in your images that you often have harsh shadows which distract from the subject. I think you may benefit from a light modifier such as an umbrella or soft box to soften the shadows as well as a second light source or fill card.

In this scenario, a plain white plate may give better separation of the compositional elements and lessen the dark ambiance.

I like the composition of the 3rd picture better than the 1st because the bone is not in front of the cinnamon, though as stated earlier you may want the whole plate in the frame.

Can't wait to see what you cook up next!

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,851 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jan 09, 2009 12:09 as a reply to  @ mmishkin's post |  #8

Yeah if this were going to be judged by art directors, editors, etc theres not enough shadow detail. In the first image that theres no seperation and you can't tell what it is (right center) and that would be rejected because of that. Plus the lighting is to harsh. See those harsh shadows on the white plate. A softer source and more shadow detail and you'd have a winner.

ypx3
388 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 09, 2009 12:14 |  #9

I find the glare off the lamb quite distracting.
Love the close up shot but would prefer if the depth of field were just a little larger so that the whole plate is in focus.

Always wanting to learn
If you edit, please tell me what you did.
C+C always wanted!!
flickr (external link)
Gear List

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,851 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jan 09, 2009 13:05 as a reply to  @ ypx3's post |  #10

Softer light would help...But even on the close up there needs to be more shadow detail and less glare (hot spots)

macobee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,843 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 09, 2009 20:35 |  #11

Thank you for your comments, really appreciated. I was intentionally trying to go for a mystical look, hence used harsh light and very directional, so I would get sharpm shadows, however I agree I dont like the too dark areas on the plate.

I will try tonight when home to do some more processing on some see if i can bring the darker shadows a bit more to life.

Thank you

yogibear
36 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 10, 2009 14:39 |  #12

I prefer my lamb cooked more...ha ha...nice shot...I agree with above comments.

Broncobear
Goldmember
2,415 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 10, 2009 14:48 |  #13

nice work, pretty good lighting and yeah i'm hungry for lamb lol.

good job

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." " (external link)Marcel Proust (external link)

Gear& Frank's Flickr (external link)

Thumbsup
683 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 10, 2009 15:50 |  #14

Great conversations. I love learning through others. The comments are very insightful and helpful. By the way, what's for dessert?

macobee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,843 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 10, 2009 21:18 |  #15

Thanks your comments again, I am very bad at PS but am considering to go on a course now.......if anyone wants to pls go ahead and show me how these images can be made better by using photoshop......ive been busy hours now trying to lighten the dark areas and trying to paint away the shadows, but claerly I dont know what flow to follow ect

sponsored links

1,268 views & 0 likes for this thread
Smoking Lamb
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.