Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 08 Jan 2009 (Thursday) 13:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flash Picture Help #2

joejhorn
26 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 08, 2009 13:24 |  #1

Hi guys, I took this picture last night with my 1000d and a 430 ex, 50mm 1.8, used a 3x5 card on the back of the flash pointed straight up, just highlighted the eyes a bit and sharpened with unsharp mask.

I noticed the flash on her tongue and was wondering what I could do about that.

Yes she, the dog, is embarrassed that her nose turns pink in the winter. :lol:

Any other ideas/insights would be helpful too. I've been taking pictures for about a month now.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3460/3179684701_280443537d_o.jpg

Amateur Cook - Noob Photographer
Canon 1000d, 50mm 1.8 and Kit lens
All C&C Welcome & Appreciated

sponsored links
Benji
Goldmember
2,205 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 08, 2009 15:09 |  #2

Looks good to me, but as an experiment you could clone out the highlights using Photoshop and see if you like it, if not hit Ctrl Z several times. You could also darken the nose in Photoshop.

Benji

twiggles
763 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 08, 2009 15:21 |  #3

maybe burn the nose on PS too...that might do the Trick. personally, the flash reflection on the tongue is not distracting at all...

T-Wiggles

40D Gripped | 5D Gripped | Elan 7 | G12 | 24-105L | 80-200 f/2.8L | 85 f/1.8 | 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Sigma 10-20 | 430 EX (x2) |etc etc etc... My equipment FAR OUTWEIGHS my skill...always looking for CC

PETERSYMES
Goldmember
1,502 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 08, 2009 16:25 as a reply to  @ twiggles's post |  #4

I would also use the clone stamp tool to remove the hot spots on the tongue, although i too do not find them a real issue.
The image appears to have a very slight green hue, but it could be me or my monitor or both:confused:
Good job on focus selection in this shot BTW...

joejhorn
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 08, 2009 16:25 as a reply to  @ twiggles's post |  #5

thanks, I just noticed that the reflection from the flash bounced off both of the walls in her eyes. I guess I need to work on placement of the subject next time. She was in a small hallway and I didn't think about the light coming off the sides of the walls.

yogibear
36 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 10, 2009 14:49 |  #6

how about creating a new layer and using a healing brush? adjust the opacity afterwards.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 10, 2009 20:21 |  #7

I really wouldn't bother with the highlights on the tongue. The photo looks good to me and few people would find the tongue highlights to be a problem. If anything it adds to the photo sort of like catch lights in the eyes, since a dog has its tongue out a lot and is part of the personality of the dog. I don't think it's worth the effort to remove.

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 11, 2009 01:34 |  #8

The tongue doesn't bother me at all, looks quite natural. The eyes on the other hand stand out. She's cross eyed. I'd clone them back to normal for and then fix her nose if it really bothers her.

Ladies can be very fussy about those things.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

joejhorn
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 11, 2009 10:40 as a reply to  @ Titus213's post |  #9

@Titus213 - The nose does bother her I will work on it. As for the eyes you are right. My wife said "you made my dog look like a dork." I will have to work on them today and see if I can fix them. I'm not to good with clone, but this will give me a reason to practice.

sponsored links

807 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flash Picture Help #2
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.