Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 29 Sep 2008 (Monday) 15:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gymnastics - New Season, New Thread!

GBRandy
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 17, 2008 07:48 |  #151

Well folks, looks like I might have some time to re-assess my kit.

My daughter dislocated her knee again and managed to tear her MCL in the process. They drained it last night and pulled out 55 cc of bloody goo. They fitted her for a brace and sent us on our way.

They told her if it happened again she would need to "modify her activities"...her response? "Look doc, I am competing for 2 1/2 years and I'll be done...you can replace both my knees then".

Looks like she is out at least a month....which is unfortunate because she was working to move to level 9 next year....

I may go with her to some of the better lit events and get some shots...till then hoping Nikon releases some AF-S primes soon!

GBRandy
---------------
GearList | Nikon 1977 - 2007 |

sponsored links
bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 17, 2008 08:22 |  #152

GBRandy wrote in post #6895007 (external link)
Well folks, looks like I might have some time to re-assess my kit.

My daughter dislocated her knee again and managed to tear her MCL in the process. They drained it last night and pulled out 55 cc of bloody goo. They fitted her for a brace and sent us on our way.

They told her if it happened again she would need to "modify her activities"...her response? "Look doc, I am competing for 2 1/2 years and I'll be done...you can replace both my knees then".

Looks like she is out at least a month....which is unfortunate because she was working to move to level 9 next year....

I may go with her to some of the better lit events and get some shots...till then hoping Nikon releases some AF-S primes soon!

Randy! So sorry to hear about this. I'm surprised they aren't going to repair the MCL. I guess since it's torn and not ruptured, they'll let nature take it's course.

Good luck with the recovery! I'll keep your daughter in my thoughts.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

Tosh-san
81 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 17, 2008 08:23 |  #153

Geez Randy, that's awful news. So sorry to hear that.
I do understand your daughter's mindset tho.
My daughter's close friend (featured in photos posted above) broke her arm rather severely in 2007 doing a double back handspring in competition.
Same meet as in the above photos, just 2 years earlier. She hopped right back on the horse the next season and was dominant once again--first at the 2008 States for FX no less.

I wish your daughter the best.

sidx001
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 17, 2008 09:17 |  #154

Sorry to hear about that Randy! Best wishes to your daughter for a speedy recovery :)

James Smith
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=586230
My Gear

mkenney99
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 17, 2008 10:56 as a reply to  @ GBRandy's post |  #155

I'm very sorry to hear the news about your daughter Randy - I hope she has a quick recovery. It's hard to keep these gymnasts down - sounds like she is a tough cookie. :)

Mark

GBRandy
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 17, 2008 16:27 |  #156

I'll pass your thoughts on to my daughter. She is a tough cookie....but all these girls are.

One of her freinds ruptured her PCL last May...it came completely off the bone and wrapped up in her leg. They just left it in there and gave her a brace and therapy.

She went and got a hinged brace and competed last week!!!???

We have had three compound leg fractures and one really nasty compound arm break off bars....every girl has come back in less than 12 months.

Personally? I truly believe these girls are way tougher than any football player. My daughter watched some lineman get carted off the field one Sunday with a knee dislocation...she looked at the TV screen then at me and all 4' 10" and 90 pounds of her called him a "whimp" for not walking off......

I laughed my butt off.

GBRandy
---------------
GearList | Nikon 1977 - 2007 |

Mr ­ B ­ Pix
492 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 17, 2008 19:35 |  #157

GBRandy wrote in post #6897963 (external link)
I'll pass your thoughts on to my daughter. She is a tough cookie....but all these girls are.

One of her freinds ruptured her PCL last May...it came completely off the bone and wrapped up in her leg. They just left it in there and gave her a brace and therapy.

She went and got a hinged brace and competed last week!!!???

We have had three compound leg fractures and one really nasty compound arm break off bars....every girl has come back in less than 12 months.

Personally? I truly believe these girls are way tougher than any football player. My daughter watched some lineman get carted off the field one Sunday with a knee dislocation...she looked at the TV screen then at me and all 4' 10" and 90 pounds of her called him a "whimp" for not walking off......

I laughed my butt off.

Here's hoping for a speedy recover for your daughter! We've been pretty lucky so far. They are preparing to move up to optionals next year, and the injuries are starting to surface. Luckily for us, my daughter does conditioning in the basement while getting her Hanna Montana fix in during her off days without ever being asked or prompted!

My daughter's favorite shirt says, "If gymnastics was easy, it would be called football."

My Gear

Mr ­ B ­ Pix
492 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 22, 2008 07:49 as a reply to  @ Mr B Pix's post |  #158

I've been a long time reader, and sometimes will posts questions/responses. But usually don't post pictures too often. Our home gym has good light, unless you try to take pictures faster than 1/125. The lights cycle really bad (color and intensity) resulting in some crazy results that are not worth trying to post process. We don't have great floor acess either, except on floor where the cycle lighting is the absolute worst. Because of the access (or lack there of), I find myself switching between the 85/1.8 and 70-200/2.8 just to have a little more reach. The 135/2 is at the top of the wish list, but will likely remain there for a little while.

I am still not happy with the noise in my pictures...probably time to pony up for NN or something. What is everyone's favorite? Lightroom is just not cutting it. Are the noise reduction tools in Lightroom 2 any better? Any other comments? I'd like to do some homework on sharpening too, but all I have at my disposal at this point is Lightroom.

Is it just me (I know it's not), but everytime I learn the routinues to help take better pictures, they change levels and are doing something new and I have to start all over?!?:rolleyes:

1/500, f/2.0, ISO 3200 - Bar Picture

1/250, f/2.8, ISO 3200 - Beam Picture

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My Gear

sidx001
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 22, 2008 14:16 |  #159

Mr B Pix wrote in post #6925739 (external link)
....I am still not happy with the noise in my pictures...probably time to pony up for NN or something. What is everyone's favorite? Lightroom is just not cutting it. Are the noise reduction tools in Lightroom 2 any better? Any other comments? I'd like to do some homework on sharpening too, but all I have at my disposal at this point is Lightroom....

I personally think that the noise reduction tools in LR are useless except for small area changes. LR2 didn't really make any changes in that direction either. I use Noiseware Pro for my images and it does a fantastic job.

I like your images, though they are a hair cold for me. I tend to take a little warmer picture in the gym, but that's just my preference. Thanks for sharing!

James Smith
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=586230
My Gear

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 23, 2008 07:33 |  #160

Mr B Pix wrote in post #6925739 (external link)
Is it just me (I know it's not), but everytime I learn the routinues to help take better pictures, they change levels and are doing something new and I have to start all over?!?:rolleyes:

Well, they are similar up to about 5/6, but then you get to a whole new meaning of "I have no idea what this person is going to do next."

Off to Mexico 12/31 for a L10 meet. Wish us luck.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

jdando
Goldmember
1,037 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 09, 2009 19:00 as a reply to  @ bwolford's post |  #161

Here are a couple from this weeks meet. My daughter sprained here ankle before the meet and was not able to do her floor routine :cry:

#1 Vaulting, manual pre-focus, shot at an angle

IMAGE: http://jeremyd.smugmug.com/photos/452005719_iehjs-L.jpg

#2 On the beam, leaps are a bit lower than usual
IMAGE: http://jeremyd.smugmug.com/photos/452005704_MQf9i-L.jpg

#3 One more on the beam
IMAGE: http://jeremyd.smugmug.com/photos/452005726_Abj6n-L.jpg

I messed around with the post processing, let me know which image looks best to you all.

Jeremy
Chimping away in MN

felixapproach
204 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 09, 2009 19:07 |  #162

I like the third one the best. You did a great job of timing that shot.

40d w/ grip, 75-300 f4-5.6, 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 18-55 is, Bowers SFD728c, 160ws Flashpoint strobe

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 11, 2009 11:59 as a reply to  @ felixapproach's post |  #163

First meet of my daughter's second level 10 season. The meet was in a hotel ballroom in Cancun. It was a dungeon. Here's a sample BEFORE image with no PP. And this was at 1600. 1/320 (I could have gotten more light with a slower SS for THIS image, but I kept the SS high as this was pushing the limit for balancing SS and getting some action). All shot at F/2.

IMAGE: http://thewolfords.com/POTN/BAW_1013Before.jpg

I managed to salvage this from it:
1) Yes, it's still green, but I had color temp down to 2500 and any more manipulation really when bad. I think the only way to save this is B/W, but I don't do much B/W and need to learn a reliable conversion technique. Suggestions welcomed.

IMAGE: http://thewolfords.com/POTN/BAW_1013.jpg

2)
IMAGE: http://thewolfords.com/POTN/BAW_1095.jpg

3)
IMAGE: http://thewolfords.com/POTN/BAW_1179.jpg

4) I like the patriotic nature of this (even though it was shot in Cancun, MX :) .
IMAGE: http://thewolfords.com/POTN/BAW_1288.jpg

Enjoy and CC always welcome. Off to find some B/W conversion suggestions...

Brice
Gear List

fugfuggy
246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 11, 2009 13:17 |  #164

Jeez Brice, your daughter is getting so big! When we started this she was just a little girl! Make it stop!

The last image is strange looking. It looks like there is chalk dust in the air or some really weird looking noise?

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 11, 2009 17:33 as a reply to  @ fugfuggy's post |  #165

Tell me about it. She 5'0" 100 lbs. Solid as a rock. Looks like she's not growing an inch more, which is good. She's matured a lot in the last 8 months. No longer a string bean. She's 16 this year and makes sure we know it.

The last is noise. I had to run it through neat image after processing the raw image and I can't get rid of it all. The original is just as dark as the first sample.

Brice
Gear List

sponsored links

90,560 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gymnastics - New Season, New Thread!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.