Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Jan 2009 (Sunday) 16:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fill Flash outdoors

britt777
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 11, 2009 16:45 |  #1

I have been trying to play with my flash outdoors and using it for fill. Wasn't haven't good turn out. I have posted this photo to get some feed back on what the best way to meter for this picture would be. I shot this picture without the flash because I was very close and the flash seemed to keep blowing out the highlights. Back white wall for example. Any tips would be very helpful and thank you in advance.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Brittany
www.shutterprophotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 11, 2009 16:47 |  #2

Looks pretty well exposed. I'd just set the flash for about -2 FEC to get a little bit of fill.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

charleyclarke16
48 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 11, 2009 16:49 |  #3

hey Brittany are you using your flash on manual or TTL?

1Ds Mark III, 1D Mark IIn, 24-105mm IS L, 100-400mm IS L, 16-35mm L, 50mm L 100mm Macro, 85mm 1.8, 15mm Fisheye

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 11, 2009 16:56 as a reply to  @ charleyclarke16's post |  #4

Hi Brittany,

The image is clearly underexposed. The dogs left eye is in shadow and can barely be seen.

TTL is not working for you're and is blowing highlights because you're letting the camera and flash do the thinking.

If you want to use the flash in TTL mode then try applying 2 to 3 stops of negative FEC. If the shot is still underexposed then slowly bring up the level until the shot is exposed as you would like.

If you use the flash in manual mode then a similar procedure is used. Select a power setting, perhaps 1/8 or 1/16 power and then make the appropriate adjustment as needed.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 11, 2009 17:08 |  #5

Robert, read the OP again. It was taken without flash.

Brittany - For outdoor fill, we need to start with the basic realization that if something is properly exposed with ambient light and then we add flash to it, we will make it overexposed.

Fill flash is mostly about striking a balance between ambient exposure and flash exposure. Sometimes we need to reduce the ambient exposure a little and then add flash to complete the picture. This allows the flash to brighten the shadow areas without blowing out the highlights.

I generally use M mode on the camera whenever I'm using flash. The allows me to be very deliberate about the ambient exposure.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 11, 2009 17:09 as a reply to  @ Curtis N's post |  #6

I did read it Curtis, and I responded accordingly. My first statement about the shot being underexposed was in response to the reply indicating the shot was properly exposed. Then I went on to describe how to use flash to correctly expose the shot.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 11, 2009 17:18 |  #7

If the dog was moving towards you and was quite close, I can't see any way that the flash would properly expose for fill.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 11, 2009 17:29 as a reply to  @ TMR Design's post |  #8

Thank you all for the tips and suggestions. I am using TTL and camera in M. I wanted to use flash to open up the shadow areas around the dogs eyes. I was just looking for tips on how others would go about setting up for this shot.

Here is another example from about an hour earlier.

First photo with Flash
Second without Flash

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Brittany

GSansoucie
788 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 11, 2009 17:35 |  #9

Do you have your flash set to Fill (the "H" symbol?)

Your Exif shows the properly exposed shot at 1/1250 and the over exposed at 1/250 which is the standard max synch speed unless you change the setting.

Also, you might want to get the flash off the camera for this particular shot. With the cap on, the brim will create a shadow from the flash which will be shooting down.

On the 40D, there is a custom function for setting the Flash Sync speed in Av mode (the mode you were shooting in) C.Fn I.7. It defaults to 1/250 which is way to long for that shot. Set it to Auto.

-=Glen=-
Flickr Stream (external link)
Check out my 2010 PaD (external link)
http://www.pbase.com/g​sansoucie (external link)

dpds68
Goldmember
1,464 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 11, 2009 17:38 |  #10

Your Flash photo above looks overexposed you could of increased your shutter speed and then used flash as fill .

I use flash fill when shooting birds and I sometimes shoot with the internal exposure level meter showing -2 and the Flash in ETTL , and get a good exposed shot .

Gripped Canon 7D,20D,XT / Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8 , 70-200 2.8L,EF50mm1.8 II,Sigma 150-500mm OS, Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6
Vivitar285Hv x2,Canon430EX,Nissin Di866,CTR-301P Triggers,
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dpds68/ (external link)

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 11, 2009 17:45 |  #11

Hi Glen, No I didn't have the flash set to "H"
My Flash Sync speed is set to Auto.

Brittany

GSansoucie
788 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 11, 2009 17:52 |  #12

britt777 wrote in post #7054767 (external link)
Hi Glen, No I didn't have the flash set to "H"
My Flash Sync speed is set to Auto.

OK, I just tried this out. I normally shoot with the flash off camera so this was a good exercise for me.

In Av mode, with the flash on, the max you can go is 1/250. In fact, the shutter speed will blink to warn you. You have to press the funky 'H' button on the flash (High Speed) to get the Fill to Work. Once you press it, you will get the proper shutter speed, and ultimately the proper exposure.

-=Glen=-

GSansoucie
788 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 11, 2009 17:55 |  #13

Just want to add that my point about the flash and the baseball cap is still valid. You will create more of a shadow over the subject's face with fill flash above the camera. For caps & such, either shoot upside down (yeah, that is a bit odd) or go off camera & off to one side or the other to add a little more dimension.

-=Glen=-

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 11, 2009 17:56 |  #14

Brittany,

I'm with Glen. Most likely the shot with flash is overexposed because you attemped to exceed the camera's X-sync speed without activating high speed sync (FP flash) on the flash unit.

Two easy solutions:
1) Set the shutter speed at 1/250 and stop down the aperture to meter the ambient.
2) Activate high speed sync on the flash.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 11, 2009 18:21 as a reply to  @ GSansoucie's post |  #15

Not sure if it's luck or technique, but it can't be equipment. The flash used in this image is a 12-year-old 380ex. The camera is a simple XTi, set according to EXIF, at 1/200, f/8 and ISO 200.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

In this outdoor costuming situation, fill flash came in handy because of the shadows from the late morning sun. This image was chosen as an example because it shows the shadow in front of the costumers, a shadow that the fill flash handled quite well.

Another example that shows how the XTi can save the operator from himself when fill flash is used:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Same camera and same flash, except with a lower evening sun directly behind the costumer, and an irrational shutter speed of 1/1000. Somehow, the XTi set an aperture of f/4 at ISO 200 and the exposure worked in this very heavily backlit situation. High-speed sync was used, of course.

sponsored links

2,321 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fill Flash outdoors
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.