Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 23 Jul 2008 (Wednesday) 11:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Custodian of Records for Adult Photos

SOT
I make up stuff about Cameras
915 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 23, 2008 11:17 |  #1

Are any of you using a separate company to act as a custodian of records for your adult photos pursuant to U.S.C. Title 18, Section 2257?

If so how much do they cost, how many records are they keeping.

http://img81.imageshac​k.us/img81/8646/captur​e1o.jpg (external link)

sponsored links
TeeJay
Goldmember
3,834 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 23, 2008 15:02 |  #2

SOT wrote in post #5968537 (external link)
...pursuant to U.S.C. Title 18, Section 2257?

Maybe you could remind us what Section 2257 is pursuant to?

TJ

1DsMkIII | 1DMkIIN | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 24-70 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L IS | 17-40 f/4L | 50 f/1.2L | WFT-E1 & E2 Transmitters - Click Here for setup advice | CP-E4 Battery Pack x 2 | ST-E2 | 580EX | 550EX | 430EXII | 420EX | Tripod + monopod | Bowens Esprit Gemini 500W/s heads & Travel-Pak | All this gear - and still no idea :confused:

Dennis_Hammer
820 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 23, 2008 16:33 as a reply to  @ TeeJay's post |  #3

It's the stature used to put the responsibility on the organization doing the work to verify and maintain age documentation of models doing 'erotic' photography/videograph​y. It should be called the Tracy Lords Law, its one of the reason I will not do that kind of 'couples' photography, and yes I get calls to do that. Not a prude just too much hassle and never want to be drawn into a break up situation as copyright holder of those images she wants destroyed.

SOT
THREAD ­ STARTER
I make up stuff about Cameras
915 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 23, 2008 21:31 |  #4

TeeJay wrote in post #5969881 (external link)
Maybe you could remind us what Section 2257 is pursuant to?

TJ

The title of the original post, Adult Photos.

http://img81.imageshac​k.us/img81/8646/captur​e1o.jpg (external link)

TeeJay
Goldmember
3,834 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 24, 2008 03:06 |  #5

SOT wrote in post #5972207 (external link)
The title of the original post, Adult Photos.

Ha HA! :rolleyes:

To the OP, that's very interesting, sorry I cannot help, but thank you for taking the time to reply.

TJ

1DsMkIII | 1DMkIIN | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 24-70 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L IS | 17-40 f/4L | 50 f/1.2L | WFT-E1 & E2 Transmitters - Click Here for setup advice | CP-E4 Battery Pack x 2 | ST-E2 | 580EX | 550EX | 430EXII | 420EX | Tripod + monopod | Bowens Esprit Gemini 500W/s heads & Travel-Pak | All this gear - and still no idea :confused:

Bootlegger0173
754 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 29, 2008 14:31 |  #6

There seems to quite the little uproar in various places on the Internet about the wording of the new 2257 regs- and how they can now potentially apply to non-nude images, based on sexual intent, erotic poses, and viewer discretion. Currently, I have no knowledge of any place who offers custodian services. I am pretty concerned about it, however, as I don't relish the idea of having to plaster my home address on every link under the US 18 info. Nor am I able to dedicate 20 hrs. a week to the possibility that someone could potentially want to inspect my records, nor do I agree/see the difference in providing my standard digital image of a license, as opposed to now having to supposedly photocopy one in color.

Let me know if you hear of one, as it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

www.photosbykw.smugmug​.com (external link)
www.flickr.com/photos/​photos_by_k_williams (external link)
Currently Own: 5D MKII, EOS 400, Assorted lenses, 580 EX Flash, 430 Flash, Stroboframe Camera Flip Bracket, Misc. accessories. N2000/Whole bunch of stuff.

Gentleman ­ Villain
Goldmember
1,116 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 29, 2008 15:14 as a reply to  @ Bootlegger0173's post |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

all documents must be maintained at the business address of the producer and must be available for inspection at reasonable business hours (basically 9-5 monday-friday)

No matter how hard you try...you will never figure out the exact law. It was written intentionally ambiguous so that the govt will be able to prosecute whoever they want whenever they want...

It's exactly like the IRS....the law is setup so that nobody can follow it perfectly...therefore.​..the government can select when to enforce or not based on political interest.

My advice is to stay out of any type of photography where you might become the target of the government. Just stay out of it....it's that simple.

Bootlegger0173
754 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 29, 2008 21:37 as a reply to  @ Gentleman Villain's post |  #8

Which is fine unless a large part of what you shoot are glamour shots, that although not specifically intended to be... could very well be viewed as a little too edgey for the uptight crowd.

www.photosbykw.smugmug​.com (external link)
www.flickr.com/photos/​photos_by_k_williams (external link)
Currently Own: 5D MKII, EOS 400, Assorted lenses, 580 EX Flash, 430 Flash, Stroboframe Camera Flip Bracket, Misc. accessories. N2000/Whole bunch of stuff.

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
2,995 posts
Gallery: 279 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 30, 2008 05:37 |  #9

Just buy any top shelf magazine and look in the contents/credits side bar. That will have the info yuo need.

RP33
151 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 12, 2009 14:15 |  #10

Does this new part of the law apply even if you dont sell your pictures?

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 13, 2009 20:36 |  #11

RP33 wrote in post #7060702 (external link)
Does this new part of the law apply even if you dont sell your pictures?

If you're not going to sell them, and just want them for private use... then no.

snails
"I used the last of it to tip the strippers."
1,517 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 13, 2009 23:10 |  #12

SOT wrote in post #5968537 (external link)
Are any of you using a separate company to act as a custodian of records for your adult photos pursuant to U.S.C. Title 18, Section 2257?

If so how much do they cost, how many records are they keeping.

This sounds like the kind of service a lawyer would provide.

Your image can chosen for the Best Of gallery only if it is in your own member gallery.

sponsored links

1,922 views & 0 likes for this thread
Custodian of Records for Adult Photos
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.