Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 12 Jan 2009 (Monday) 13:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to price for weddings?

ashley.stalker
50 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 12, 2009 13:12 |  #1

I am fairly new to weddings. I have done 6 so far in the last year and not am beginning my 2nd year. I loved it, but since I was new and learning (still am) I wonder how I should price. I want to make sure I have quality equipment and lighting so they can pay me for what I feel like I deserve.

I don't want to jump my pricing too high or the referrals that people gave will be useless since they are expecting to pay in the same kind of bracket.

This is what I am using to give you an idea...
2 - 5Ds (own one, borrow the other from a friend)
Canon 50 1.2 (own)
Canon 24-70 2.8 (rent, looking to buy soon)
Canon 70-200 2.8 (rent)

Then I have a wide-angle 15mm but don't use it that often.

and I might also rent Canon 17-55 2.8

Lighting, I am still trying to figure out what softbox, and an additional flash off camera. But for the moment I am using a Metz 45 that I bounce off wall/ceilings.

Last year my prices had 4 different packages, but will only show 2 so you get the idea what I am offering...
1st Package:
Disk of images in color and black and white
6 hours of coverage with 2 photographers
$995.00

2nd Package:
12x12 Queensberry Album with 14 overlay matted pages (less expensive cover)
Disk of images
6 hours of coverage with 2 photographers
1 8x10 print
2 5x7 prints
$1,295

Now I am thinking for this year:
1st Package:
Disk of images in color and black and white
8 hours of coverage with 2 photographers
$1,395.00

2nd Package:
12x12 Queensberry Album with 14 overlay matted pages (less expensive cover)
Disk of images
8 hours of coverage with 2 photographers
$1,995.00

I think I have good images, but I also think everyone thinks that about themselves. I am my harshest critic and hope I continue to get better and learn more. You can see my images at...

http://whitebalancepho​tos.com (external link)

I still need to edit my last wedding and need to upload the other two I did on my main site, but you can see what I have done with my first three weddings to give a value of my worth, also you can check out my blog. I have two on there that aren't on my main site...

http://web.me.com …%3A_Dusti_%26_G​areth.html (external link)

http://web.me.com …3A_Chlesea_%26_​David.html (external link)

Don't be too harsh, but I do appreciate honestly. :lol:

So my concerns are this:
Do you think that this is too much higher than my last years pricing?
I know my pricing is NOT asking too much, I have an extensive excel spreedsheet dictating where each cent is going and giving a fair price per hour that I think the experience I have or lack of deserves.
I can't image charging lower with what I would like to acommplish with each wedding.
But then I rather do a wedding and gain referrals & experience at a lower price than not to have weddings at all.

Ziffle
Goldmember
1,896 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 12, 2009 18:20 |  #2

Great question...
Seems reasonable given your galleries and the area you live.

I know this..... i have seen worse picture galleries in my area and they are charging between your old/new rates (depends on packages).

GPR1
Goldmember
1,069 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 12, 2009 19:30 as a reply to  @ Ziffle's post |  #3

It's hard to comment on your pricing, because that's area-dependent.

You mention not wanting to raise prices too much because you don't want to scare off referrals. That's a common problem starting out. Many people will tell you to push your prices toward the upper limits of what you think your area allows, because it's hard to get them up once people begin to think of you in a certain price range. I'd be temped to push your prices a bit.

--Greg
http://www.expatinchin​a.net/ (external link)
www.facebook.com/Expat​InChina (external link)

ashley.stalker
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 12, 2009 20:05 |  #4

Thanks for the advice. Also I created another thread, but in the correct section...

https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=7063195#p​ost7063195

Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 14, 2009 17:49 |  #5

I agree with GPR1 about pricing being area dependent. Have you check around as to what others in your area are charging for about the same amout of hours and product (also check out their work)? If you have and you feel good about your decision then go for it. You can always have an economic stimulus sale when necessary ;)

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,479 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to price for weddings?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.