Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
Thread started 28 Nov 2008 (Friday) 11:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Taking a year off of work to travel and photograph the country-where and when to go?

EricTober
67 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 28, 2008 11:27 |  #1

I am most likely going to be taking a year or so off of work beginning in April and take my mini rv and travel the country and Canada. I'll have my photography equipment and my bicycles with me. Where should I visit and when to see the best wildlife? The only real definite places I want to visit are Alaska in August or Setpember and Yellowston in September or October. Everything else is negotiable. All advice is greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Canon 5D mkiii . Canon 24-70 f4 . Canon 100-400 f4-5.6 . Canon 85 f1.8

sponsored links
RandyMN
Goldmember
3,130 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 28, 2008 11:28 |  #2

Answered you there already. I think double posting is frowned on here!

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,477 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 10, 2009 23:34 |  #3

Hello, Eric! You may want to double-shot Yellowstone, as May there is tremendous. In September, the elk rut is best shot in Rocky Mountain NP in Colorado. Glacier is best visited between July 15v and September 15, as the Going To The Sun Road is only open during that brief interval, aand you'll need that road open to get up to Logan Pass, where you can find habituated mountain goats, bighorn sheep, and ptarmigan. Goat Lick down on the southern edge of Glacier NP is also great for goats in April and May. Don't miss South Dakota's Custer State Park - it is arguable the country's best place to photograph bison and pronghorn, and offers great opportunities for prarie dogs and whitetail deer, as well. Of course, if you're leaving in April and have a long lens, you may want to go straight to Klamath Falls. The Lower Klamath Basin lies over the Oregon/California border, and is perhaps the finest place in the nation for photographing waterfowl, partiucularly wild ducks and geese. The places to go there are the Lower Klamath and Tulelake National Wildlife Refuges. Each of these refuges have wonderful auto tour routes, as well as photography blinds. Good luck - sounds like the most fun year a person could possibly have! -Tom

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

gregpphoto
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 14, 2009 13:54 |  #4

I have a short list of the places I plan on visiting when I become a photo tramp. *signifies a place I've been.

ALASKA
Bering Land Bridge National Preserve
Chugach Mountains
Denali NP
Gates of the Arctic NP
Glacier Bay NP
Katmai NP
Kenai Fjords NP
Lake Clark NP
Tongass National Forest
Wrangell-St. Elias NP
ARIZONA
Canyon De Chelly NM
Grand Canyon NP
ARKANSAS
Buffalo National River
CALIFORNIA
Devils Postpile NM
Kings Canyon NP
Lassen Volcanic NP
Redwoods NP
Sequoia NP
Sierra Nevada
Sierra High Route (195 mi trail)
Emigrant Wilderness
Trona Pinnacles
Yosemite NP
COLORADO
Garden of the Gods
Great Sand Dunes NP
Flatirons
Fountain Formation, Front Range
Rocky Mountain NP
Roxborough State Park
Summit Lake Park
IDAHO
Bitteroot Range
City of Rocks National Preserve
Craters of the Moon NM
Frank Church River-of-no-Return Wilderness
Hagerman Fossil Beds NM
Hells Canyon Wilderness
Nez Perce National Forest
Sawtooth Range
KENTUCKY
Pottsville Escarpment
Daniel Boone National Forest
Red Rock Gorge
MAINE
100-Mile Wilderness
Acadia NP
MINNESOTA
Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness
Voyageurs NP
MONTANA
Bitteroot Range
Bob Marshall Wilderness
Glacier NP
NEVADA
Black Rock Desert
Valley of Fire State Park,
NEW HAMPSHIRE
White Mountains
NEW YORK
Adirondacks*
Catskills*
OREGON
Crooked River National Grassland
Eagle Cap Wilderness
Fort Rock
Hells Canyon Wilderness
Ochoco National Forest (lava pillars)
Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest
Wallowa-Whitman National Forest
SOUTH DAKOTA
Badlands NP*
Wind Cave NP
UTAH
Arches NP
Canyonlands NP
Capital Reef NP
Goblin Valley
Grand Staircase-Escalante
Monument Valley
San Rafael Swell
Zion NP
VERMONT
Green Mountains
VIRGINIA
Shenandoah NP
WASHINGTON
North Cascades NP
Olympic NP
WYOMING
Absarokas*
Bighorn Mountains
Grand Tetons NP
Wind River Range
Yellowstone NP*
CANADA
Banff NP
Yoho NP
Jasper NP
Canadian Rockies
Mount John Laurie

gregpphoto.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Mike55
Goldmember
4,206 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 14, 2009 16:07 |  #5

EricTober wrote in post #6773887 (external link)
I am most likely going to be taking a year or so off of work beginning in April and take my mini rv and travel the country and Canada. I'll have my photography equipment and my bicycles with me. Where should I visit and when to see the best wildlife? The only real definite places I want to visit are Alaska in August or Setpember and Yellowston in September or October. Everything else is negotiable. All advice is greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Yellowstone
Glacier
Grand Teton

If your goal is big game, those have no peer in the lower 48. You tend to see more bear in Yellowstone and Glacier in spring and fall. The elk and moose rut in Grand Teton and Yellowstone are awesome in September (especially Grand Teton for moose). What's nice is there you get a lot of water interaction shots due to all the rivers up there. Those are also the only places left in the lower 48 with viable populations of grizzly bears. Grand Teton is only six miles south of Yellowstone so that's a plus as well.

6D | 70D | 24-105 L IS | 17-40 L | 300 F4 L IS | 50 1.8 II | 1.4x II | LR5 | HV30 | bug spray | wilderness
Gallatin National Forest, Montana (external link)/Lassen Volcanic NP Campgrounds (external link)

EveryMilesAMemory
Goldmember
3,826 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined May 2007

Jan 14, 2009 19:35 as a reply to  @ Mike55's post |  #6

My wife and I sold EVERYTHING and bought a 25' Travel Trailer and have been on the road since the end of 2006 doing exactly what you're planning on doing.

I'll give you one bit of advise, You'll NEVER go back to work! The lure of the road and seeing new things is just too powerful and if you do have to settle back down, you'll go insane! Just warning you.

Check out the link in my signature and it should give you a few days worth of reading material on locations and ideas. We've blogged daily about our travels and you get both sides of the story - Both me and my wifes which can sometimes be pretty funny when she sees things completely different than I do.

Good luck, and make sure to start a site or blog so we can all follow along. Also check out Expedition Portal (external link) which is a pretty sweet forum specifically on Overland Travel around the Globe.

Pat Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.​com (external link)
www.patbonishphotograp​hy.com (external link)
500px (external link)

EricTober
THREAD ­ STARTER
67 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 14, 2009 21:49 as a reply to  @ EveryMilesAMemory's post |  #7

Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions! I have not even left yet and am already trying to figure out a way to extend it a second year! I'll be sure to start a blog. I would also like to meet many of you who have the same passion for photography as I do. As I update my blog, if any of you would like to join me, just let me know. I'll have a free place for you to stay on the road - not great accomidations, but close to the action!

Eric

Canon 5D mkiii . Canon 24-70 f4 . Canon 100-400 f4-5.6 . Canon 85 f1.8

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 16, 2009 20:55 |  #8

A couple of places in Arizona that you might consider could be the:

Slot Canyons of Page, Arizona. (Upper and Lower Antelope are the two most famous), and I think it's called, Saguaro National Momument, which is home to hundreds, (if not thousands) of incredible Saguaro cacti. You should get some incredibly colourful sunsets, silhouettes, rim lit shots there.

Just a suggestion.

There are so many places that I would love to travel to and photograph.

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

mrso
159 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 18, 2009 00:10 |  #9

If you are going through NE Wyoming you might want to go to Devils Tower. Pretty amazing.

5d | 70-200 2.8L IS | Nifty Fifty | Canon 1.4x II | protected by Lowe Pro

russ_hillis
299 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 26, 2009 20:03 as a reply to  @ mrso's post |  #10

well since you want to do Alaska & Yellowstone at about the same time. I would say travelling up along the foothills in western Alberta is pretty much a given. There's a number of good parks along the divide starting with Waterton National Park (AKA International Peace Park), Banff, then Jasper. There's also some quite pretty places along the BC side of the divide that will be worth the trip.

Don't forget about the unique photo opportunities that the great plains can offer you. Everything from unique wildlife to abondoned farmsteads. I can only speak for Saskatchewan & Alberta really but there are some spectacular photo's waiting for the creative soul.

Any way, good luck and good shooting.

My greatest dream, is to find a wife selling her husbands gear for what he told her it was worth! Zenfolio (external link)Promo Code BU4-Y6F-KHG My Flickr (external link) 7D Tamron 17-50 mm f2.8, Nifty 50, Vivitar 135mm f2.8, Tokina ATF/D 80-400mm

soxfan356
158 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 28, 2009 15:52 |  #11

Yosemite.
Starved Rock is pretty cool too. Not anywhere near as cool as yellowstone, glacier, alaska, but you do what you can right?

-Dan
Canon 40d, 28-135 IS, 70-300 IS, 100-400L IS, Sigma 10-20, 430exII
My Flickr (external link)

AzzKicker
Goldmember
1,099 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Feb 05, 2009 09:10 |  #12

I don't know why no one ever recommends Big Bend National Park in Texas. It is one of the Countries biggest parks but least visited. It is a very beautiful national park and the park pretty much allows you a lot of freedom.

Ruben D. Zamora
Canon 6D Mark II, Canon 20-35L,Genesis 200 Strobe

itallushrt
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 06, 2009 15:51 |  #13

gregpphoto wrote in post #7076162 (external link)
I have a short list of the places I plan on visiting when I become a photo tramp. *signifies a place I've been.

KENTUCKY
Pottsville Escarpment
Daniel Boone National Forest
Red Rock Gorge

It is Red River Gorge. Beautiful place!

gregpphoto
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 07, 2009 11:13 |  #14

itallushrt wrote in post #7269510 (external link)
It is Red River Gorge. Beautiful place!

Yes it is, thanks for the correction.

gregpphoto.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)

snowyowl13
Goldmember
2,798 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 08, 2009 10:48 |  #15

If you want to see Wood Bison go to the MacKenzie Bison Sanctuary, NWT in early June. If you hit NWT or northern Alberta in May you just might get caribou.

sponsored links

5,359 views & 0 likes for this thread
Taking a year off of work to travel and photograph the country-where and when to go?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.