Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 Jan 2009 (Saturday) 16:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just a question if I may

Tony007
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 17, 2009 16:37 |  #1

The two cameras, Nikon and Canon. Which seems to be the more popular, the most sold?

sponsored links
shannyD
"...in too much trouble"
5,219 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: scrotumento CA, miss NC, and lived in th north east for a while, and even in the mid west for a bit.

Jan 17, 2009 16:39 |  #2

would you really base what camera you would get based on who sells more?

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 17, 2009 16:45 |  #3

I think it also depends what category you are looking at- consumer DSLR (like Rebel, D40), prosumer (40D/50D, Nikon D90 and D300), prosumer full frame (5D, D700), and professional (1D/1Ds series, D3/D3x). (I don't know for a fact) but I think Nikon sold more of the prosumer and pro bodies in 2008, but Canon sold more of that stuff prior to the D300/D3. I would guess that with the low price point the Rebels are still the most sold consumer DSLR.

If you are looking between Canon/Nikon you really should look at the lens lineup, flash systems etc.. but I'm sure you already know this.

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

elysium
"full of stupid banter"
11,619 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: Harrow/London/UK/GB/That Part Of The World/Next To France

Jan 17, 2009 16:48 |  #4

Tony007 wrote in post #7098298 (external link)
The two cameras, Nikon and Canon. Which seems to be the more popular, the most sold?

You ask this on a Canon forum. Im not saying the end result of everyone will be answered Canon but a large amount of members in here shoot it so it might not be the right question for an honest answer.

Everyday, a programmer finds a way of creating an idiotproof program. Everyday, the universe spits out another idiot.....So far, the universe if winning

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 17, 2009 16:51 |  #5

You should ask Ashton Kutcher, the master of all things photographic:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

elysium
"full of stupid banter"
11,619 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: Harrow/London/UK/GB/That Part Of The World/Next To France

Jan 17, 2009 16:57 |  #6

tonylong wrote in post #7098361 (external link)
You should ask Ashton Kutcher, the master of all things photographic:)!

Ergh, makes me shudder to think.

But Kodak just rules - http://uk.youtube.com …DfcyT92wQ&featu​re=related (external link)

Everyday, a programmer finds a way of creating an idiotproof program. Everyday, the universe spits out another idiot.....So far, the universe if winning

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 17, 2009 17:11 |  #7

elysium wrote in post #7098384 (external link)
Ergh, makes me shudder to think.

But Kodak just rules - http://uk.youtube.com …DfcyT92wQ&featu​re=related (external link)

Hey, that was a crack-up:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

capt_tast
133 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 17, 2009 17:15 |  #8

The answer is Canon. More Sold. Now go get one.

Canon 50D (Thanks Mrs. Clause)/Canon XT/Sigma 50-150mm/Sigma 105mm Macro/Sigma 10-20mm UWA/Sigma 18-200/Canon nifty fifty/Lots of other goodies.

Markitos
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 17, 2009 17:28 |  #9

Their market share is nearly equal. Depends on what segment of the market you're talking about, and what year you are asking the question.

And anyways, Hasselblad and Phase One have much smaller shares of the photographic market, but that doesn't mean they don't make good tools... you catch my drift?

|Fuji X-E2|Fuji X-E1|Fuji 18 f/2|Fuji 35 f/1.4|Fuji 60 f/2.4 macro|Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4|Fuji 55-200 f/3.5-4.8

http://www.newschoolof​photography.com/forum/ (external link)Where I Hone My Skillz (external link)
Where My "Serious" Stuff Is (external link)

AB8ND
745 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 17, 2009 17:34 |  #10

You would be better off finding a photo of the finish line at the Olympic 100 meter, then count the number of white Canon lenses compared to the number of Nikon lens.

jack

Markitos
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 17, 2009 17:35 |  #11

AB8ND wrote in post #7098562 (external link)
You would be better off finding a photo of the finish line at the Olympic 100 meter, then count the number of white Canon lenses compared to the number of Nikon lens.

jack

Right, because everyone who buys these cameras is a pro, and using pro gear is the most important thing to everyone, so clearly what the pros use is the best way to judge which camera to buy.

Quick! Where's my P65+ back??

|Fuji X-E2|Fuji X-E1|Fuji 18 f/2|Fuji 35 f/1.4|Fuji 60 f/2.4 macro|Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4|Fuji 55-200 f/3.5-4.8

http://www.newschoolof​photography.com/forum/ (external link)Where I Hone My Skillz (external link)

capt_tast
133 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 17, 2009 17:37 as a reply to  @ Markitos's post |  #12

The answer is Nikon. More sold. Now go get one.

Canon 50D (Thanks Mrs. Clause)/Canon XT/Sigma 50-150mm/Sigma 105mm Macro/Sigma 10-20mm UWA/Sigma 18-200/Canon nifty fifty/Lots of other goodies.

Markitos
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 17, 2009 17:39 |  #13

capt_tast wrote in post #7098575 (external link)
The answer is Nikon. More sold. Now go get one.

:lol:

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 17, 2009 17:54 as a reply to  @ Markitos's post |  #14

They are pretty close in numbers sold, Canon was outselling Nikon until a year or so ago but I believe that Nikon was a little ahead in 2008 due to bringing out a couple of very good models (not least the D700, which finally gave them a competitor for the 3 year old Canon 5D). Nobody knows for 2009, Nikon may stay ahead or Canon may regain the lead.

Personally, I couldn't care less. The two companies have around 85% of the DSLR market between them, with all the other companies sharing the other 15%.

If you are looking to buy one, I wouldn't base the decision on which is most popular. They are different cameras, produced by companies with different design philosophies. Decide what features are important to you, try the handling out, then decide which system you prefer.

Whichever camera you buy, you will want to add other items to it over time. So make sure that you can get what you want for that body. Nikon have a nice system for using multiple off camera flashguns, Canon have the better range of lenses for example. It really will pay to do some research and think carefully about what you may want to buy later.

As far as quality is concerned, both Nikon and Canon will deliver excellent results.

PhotosGuy
75,853 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 17, 2009 18:30 |  #15

Personally, I couldn't care less.

Me, neither, except for the 30 year friend who asked me what to buy & then came back with a Nikon. Every time he asks me a technical question about it, I tell him to ask the salesman 'cause I don't know anything about it?

So... welcome to POTN!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sponsored links

1,382 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just a question if I may
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.