Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 18 Jan 2009 (Sunday) 16:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How did you start??

ubhystry
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 18, 2009 16:40 |  #1

I'd like to hear from everyone here who has the passion to adjust focus and click the shutter. How did you get started in this hobby?? I say hobby because those of you who feed you or your family most likely had no idea this would become your craft. Secondly how did/are you refining your skills?? are you self taught through trial and error or have you taken courses either on-line or classes to improve your skills?? Myself I've gathered most of my limited knowledge through trial and error and many great books and this community has also helped me greatly... Come on people let me hear from you...

Capture the moment...
40d 5d 7d 17-40L Nifty Fifty,85 1.8, 24-105L, 70-200L, 135L, 100-400L, 1.4x kenko extender.

sponsored links
jsinon
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 18, 2009 17:28 |  #2

I was originally looking for a used dslr to use with my telescope. Then I realized/remembered that for the longest time my hunting interests have been turning more towards the thought, as I'm standing waste deep in a beaver pond waiting for the duck to start coming in and legal shooting light, "this would make an awesome picture." One thing led to another and after selling a few of my guns, and my telescope to finance my 40D and two "L's" I'm pursuing a long neglected interest in wildlife, nature, landscape photography. I guess now I'm just hunting with a different "weapon";)

Fuji X-T2, Fuji X-Pro1, XF18-55, XF10-24, XF50-140
http://www.jeffsinon.c​om/ (external link)
http://jeffsinonphotog​raphy.wordpress.com/ (external link)

Nistelrooydude
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 18, 2009 17:46 as a reply to  @ jsinon's post |  #3

Let's see: I took an intro film photography class in the summer...I liked it. I took a photog class in school the next year...I liked it more. I became the photographer for my middle school newspaper...I liked it more. I got a Digital Rebel XT with my Bar Mitzvah money...I liked it more. I can keep going if you want. ;)

Gentleman ­ Villain
Goldmember
1,116 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 18, 2009 17:49 as a reply to  @ Nistelrooydude's post |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

I took a photo class my senior year in high school because it was an easy A

My partner in the lab was a cheerleader named Courtney. She used to rub her boobs up against me while we were making prints. I think that's probably when I first started taking a serious interest in photography.

ubhystry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 18, 2009 18:16 as a reply to  @ Gentleman Villain's post |  #5

Or Courtney!! did you marry the young lady???

Capture the moment...
40d 5d 7d 17-40L Nifty Fifty,85 1.8, 24-105L, 70-200L, 135L, 100-400L, 1.4x kenko extender.

TerryLP
65 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 18, 2009 18:52 as a reply to  @ ubhystry's post |  #6

My first real exposure to photography was back in 1975. I was working for the Sheriff's Office and was assigned to go to Evidence Technician School. We received a course in photography and were issued our cameras to take crime scene photos. The cameras that we were given were old Graflex Cameras. They were totally manual. We had to make every setting and adjustment, and they used flash bulbs. Through the years I have had many interests and hobbies, but none have kept my interest, or given me as much pleasure as photography.

Canon EOS 40D and Stuff

tstowe
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 18, 2009 19:56 |  #7

I've been teaching Photoshop since '97...'98? I became the yearbook advisor for my school about five years ago. I went from a Powershot G5, to the original Digital Rebel, then a 20D. This was during the first year. I was doing photo restoration on the side for a photographer with a framing studio. He downsized his studio and I was able to pick up some of his older (but still in good shape) equipment...a tripod for a medium format camera, three bogen monolights, a portable backdrop system, etc.

I've set up a website and I actually sell a photo or two, now and then. I'm going to shoot a big-time wedding in Charleston in September and I'm saving for a used 1D Mark II N.

Life is good.

www.ToddStowe.com (external link)
www.TheTalon.SmugMug.c​om (external link)

quackaddict
59 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 18, 2009 20:23 |  #8

jsinon wrote in post #7105132 (external link)
I was originally looking for a used dslr to use with my telescope. Then I realized/remembered that for the longest time my hunting interests have been turning more towards the thought, as I'm standing waste deep in a beaver pond waiting for the duck to start coming in and legal shooting light, "this would make an awesome picture." One thing led to another and after selling a few of my guns, and my telescope to finance my 40D and two "L's" I'm pursuing a long neglected interest in wildlife, nature, landscape photography. I guess now I'm just hunting with a different "weapon";)

I am very new to the DSLR game but jsinons reasons are close to mine. There are so many things you get to see in nature that you just stand there and go, gosh, wish i had a camera. Point and shoots work but getting great images of sunrises, the guys around you and, of the animals I pursue were sometimes not possible. So here I am reading every day, picking things up and taking a ton of pictures in the process!

EOS Xsi | 70-200 F/4 L | Canon 1.4 TC II | 18-55 IS

Citizensmith
Cream of the Crop
6,386 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2004

Jan 18, 2009 20:28 |  #9

Got given a Konica range finder camera as a hand me down when I was 12. That was 24 years ago, been taking photos ever since. It's not my profession, but I do get regularly paid for it too.

My POTN Gallery, Complete gear list,
Tradition - Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

PhotosGuy
75,853 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 18, 2009 20:48 |  #10

How did you start??

That would make a great title for a thread, wouldn't it?
"How did you get started" "...for professionals and aspiring pros alike."

How do I get started?- Nature shots

What has the evolution of your photography cycle been like?

Advertising - how to Start

See the .pdf link: Some Ideas for Creating Work and Getting Clients for Your New Photography Business

How did you become a pro (or semi-pro)?

So you want to be a photographer?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

timbop
Goldmember
2,980 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 18, 2009 21:45 |  #11

I took a class back in college, and really enjoyed it. At that time I had an albinar, which was relabelled pentax k-mount. I had a good time, but when I lost access to the darkroom after the class was over my interest waned. It just wasn't the same just sending out film and waiting weeks to get back 4x6's. About 4 years ago I got an original digital rebel, and loved being able to get the immediate feedback as well as the ability to actually process my shots again. I also happened to be friends with someone whose husband is a wedding photographer, and latched on to an apprenticeship 2 years ago. I do maybe 12 to 15 weddings a year now, and make enough to fund my gear. It's been great, and I've learned a lot from him - but probably just as much on my own by reading and experimenting.

Current: 5DM3, 6D, 8mm fish, 24-105/4IS, 35/2IS, 70-200/2.8IS, 85/1.8, 100-400/IS v1, lensbaby composer with edge 80, 580's and AB800's
Formerly: 80D, 7D, 300D, 5D, 5DM2, 20D, 50D, 1DM2, 17-55IS, 24-70/2.8, 28-135IS, 40/2.8, 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 70-200/4IS, 70-300IS, 70-200/2.8, 100 macro, 400/5.6, tammy 17-50 and 28-75, sigma 50 macro & 100-300

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 19, 2009 06:30 |  #12

In the past I had a mild interest in 35mm SLRs (fully manual) but film never caught on to me as a full time hobby..

A couple years ago I bought a Sony cybershot H5 superzoom (external link) and got the telephoto and closeup attachments. This is when I started learning about the fundamentals of photography until I realized the camera had it's limits. A year later I traded it in and got my Rebel XTi.

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 19, 2009 09:53 |  #13

I got started because I had an interest in photography and was amazed by some of the photos I had seen and wanted to be able to create art on my own. I also got into it because I wanted a challenging hobby that would get me out of rut and challenge me creatively.

I started with a Canon A80 after upgrading form a PoS kodak P&S. From there about 3 1/2 years ago I got my Rebel XT and loved it. Still using it today and looking back its amazing how much I have grown as a photographer, but I still feel I have so much to learn.

I have attended a few photography classes, the rest has been through reading online, and a lot of trial and error.

I certainly think photography is one of those hobbies where there is always something new to learn, or something new to try. I dont see myself getting tired of it anytime soon.

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

garymercer
41 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 19, 2009 10:38 |  #14

I had an Olympus Trip when I was a kid. Did some photos with it then never really bothered. Computers took over my life then in May 2008 I got my Powershot A590IS and really wanted to get into this photography lark.

Thoroughly enjoyed my time ever since and found I have so much to learn. Roll forward to End of September 2008 and I had done a load of overtime at work so I decided to get my 50D, lenses, tripd etc..

Still cannot take a half decent photo :D

Canon EOS 50D, 70-200mm f/4 L USM, 50mm f/1.4 USM,Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 AT-X PRO DX AF,Manfrotto Monopod 679B, Speedlite 580EX II, Calumet 67mm UV Filter, Hoya 58mm UV Filter

bsaber
I have no idea what's going on
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 19, 2009 12:19 |  #15

Photography runs in the family (well males at least). I fell in love with photography sophomore year of high school when I "had" to join yearbook as an elective. Uncle gave his AE-1 for me to use and just loved it every since. After high school I kind of lost the passion because of something that happened in yearbook but got it back about 2 years ago. And it's here to stay this time

sponsored links

4,883 views & 0 likes for this thread
How did you start??
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.