Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Jan 2009 (Thursday) 18:21
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "5dmk2 vs 1dmk3"
5D mark II
48.8%
1D mark III
51.2%

572 voters, 572 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5Dmk2 VS 1Dmk3

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 20, 2009 14:40 |  #151

xtrematrix wrote in post #7118590 (external link)
I have been asking myself this same question. 1DIII or 5DII. I have found prices for them between $1,999-2,099. The 5DII being the more expensive of the two and if you consider the battery grip you can add another $250 to that price. From what I have read the image quality is near the same, the 5DII doing a bit better at those high ISOs. In my mind it comes down to Video Recording (which is limited without and auto focus) and a weather resistant body with built in grip and more room on the back.

Personally I haven't figured out which I am going to pick up yet.

What currency are you talking about there?

I think if you can find a 1DIII from a reputable source and in good condition for the price of a 5DII, it is probably a better value (unless you really need the resolution or FF).

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

sponsored links
xtrematrix
109 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 20, 2009 14:42 as a reply to  @ bacchanal's post |  #152

soniccameras.com

i have just been looking at prices for a few days now I havent checked into finding out how reputable the site is.

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 20, 2009 14:46 |  #153

xtrematrix wrote in post #7118658 (external link)
soniccameras.com

i have just been looking at prices for a few days now I havent checked into finding out how reputable the site is.

You might want to look here:
http://www.resellerrat​ings.com/store/Sonic_C​ameras (external link)

Try Bhphoto, Adorama, Amazon, Calumet or the like.

The 5D should be selling right at $2700, and you may be able to find a used 1DIII in the $2500-$3000 range, but be careful when buying used.

xtrematrix
109 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 20, 2009 15:04 as a reply to  @ bacchanal's post |  #154

Yeah I should have figured as much... I should have done some research before throwing some prices out on the forum, nevertheless thanks for the link.

However I still dont know which camera to get :)

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 20, 2009 15:09 |  #155

xtrematrix wrote in post #7118853 (external link)

I can't help you there. I went back and forth for two months before I finally broke down and clicked the buy button. ;)

xtrematrix
109 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 20, 2009 15:16 |  #156

bacchanal wrote in post #7118885 (external link)
I can't help you there. I went back and forth for two months before I finally broke down and clicked the buy button. ;)

What was the deciding factors for your choice of the 5DII?

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 20, 2009 15:17 |  #157

For me, it was a perfect storm of coincidences. Me, my credit card, and the %D MK II al found ourselves in the same place at the same time.

Kismit.

This space for rent.

JC4
Goldmember
2,610 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 20, 2009 15:21 |  #158

xtrematrix wrote in post #7118853 (external link)

I chose not to vote. I have both, would like just one, but it may take several months to decide.

You've seen the plusses for both. If none of those are real NEEDS, then you can't go wrong with either. Flip a coin and don't look back.

John Caputo

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 20, 2009 15:37 |  #159

I'm still so confused by the results of this poll...

I mean...are megapixels and ISO 25600 that important to people? :confused:

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

JC4
Goldmember
2,610 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 20, 2009 15:40 |  #160

perryge wrote in post #7119131 (external link)

Not the only difference.

21mp is a negative in my eyes, and 25600 really isn't better than pushing the 1d3 2 stops. Yet, I still can't say which one, if I could only have one. :)

John Caputo

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 20, 2009 15:43 |  #161

Really? The guy wants a camera to take family pictures. Even a 5D is overkill, let along a full-on pro camera geared towards sports/action photographers. Personally, I'm surprised the 1D MKIII is doing as well as it is. :lol:

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

Bill ­ Roberts
revolting peasant
3,079 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 20, 2009 15:59 |  #162

timnosenzo wrote in post #7119179 (external link)
Really? The guy wants a camera to take family pictures. Even a 5D is overkill, let along a full-on pro camera geared towards sports/action photographers. Personally, I'm surprised the 1D MKIII is doing as well as it is. :lol:

Actually the OP's specific question is "If you have the fund which one you will choose"?

However, for all sorts of reasons I'd choose the 1D mark III as being the most appropriate choice. You'd be amazed how fast kids can move!

BiLL

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 20, 2009 16:09 as a reply to  @ Bill Roberts's post |  #163

xtrematrix wrote in post #7118942 (external link)
What was the deciding factors for your choice of the 5DII?

My lens set up is really intended for FF, and I would probably do some shifting around if I were to go 1DIII. I really love the 5D/35L combo, and I'm not sure what I use to replace that on the 1DIII...use the 35L as is or go for a 24L. Also, I like the low profile of the 5DII body. I tend to shoot with small lenses and keep a pretty lightweight kit.

The 5DII also resolves more detail, which is especially important to me at high ISOs. This will give me some leverage in processing noisy files. I'm a firm believer that detail rendered at high ISO is even more important than a lack of noise.

The 1DIII has two things that I crave: pro level AF and spot metering at AF points.

Price is a big consideration, and to equalize the price you're talking used 1DIII vs. new 5DmkII. I got burned for $3k plus on a used 1DIII plus lens. Hopefully that situation will get resolved, but anyway, the peace of mind in buying a new 5DII really pushed me in that direction.

As stated above small form factor and FF are a consideration to me.

I voted for the 5DII, because the OP asked which body for family shots. I think I'd be a little hesitant to pull out a 1DIII to just shoot some casual shots.

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 20, 2009 16:14 |  #164

But the OP said if you had the funds...which would you pick?

I'll just leave it at "I don't get it". Because I really don't get how this is even close.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 20, 2009 16:15 |  #165

perryge wrote in post #7119401 (external link)
I'll just leave it at "I don't get it". Because I really don't get how this is even close.

Because not everyone wants a 1 series. Why is that so hard to understand? :confused:

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

sponsored links

39,070 views & 0 likes for this thread
5Dmk2 VS 1Dmk3
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.