Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 14 Jan 2009 (Wednesday) 15:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

please help! setting wedding prices for a new photographer

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 20, 2009 02:17 |  #31

I wonder how many arrogant wedding photographers survived through the Great Depression.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links
LeoChanPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
348 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 20, 2009 08:30 |  #32

thanks, that was a nice moment :) she saw me in there taking pictures and decided to pose for me. very fun girl!

randplaty wrote in post #7108031 (external link)
I like this shot:
http://www.leochan.ca/​gallery/?level=picture​&id=168 (external link)

if you can get a lot of shots like the one above when you're a complete stranger... you'll be successful.

mezorn26
526 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 20, 2009 13:42 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

cdifoto wrote in post #7115540 (external link)
I wonder how many arrogant wedding photographers survived through the Great Depression.

How (or where) in the this thread did ones arrogance become of issue?

My Gear List

SamClarkPhotography
611 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 20, 2009 13:53 |  #34

cdifoto wrote in post #7115540 (external link)

An interesting and provoking thought.

Gripped XSi . Canon 18-135 IS (external link) . 055XPROB Manfrotto (external link)

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 20, 2009 19:07 |  #35

great read...
You really need to be "Comfortable" with what you charge or get yourself a sales rep.
If you are unsure of the value and asking a particular price for your services you will have a very difficult time selling anyone. According to theweddingreport.com the predicted average cost of wedding photography in the US for 2009 is just over $2000.
Recently I was listening to a podcast from Lenswork magazine where the speaker mentioned refusing to participate in the current financial down turn. I think that has a ring of truth to it. Those who have the money to pay a higher end photographer are likely to do so. The economic times often affect middle to lower class incomes most. IMO the less you charge the more the economy will hurt you.

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

JenniferLShort
305 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 20, 2009 19:32 |  #36

Too many pages to read. so forgive is I repeat. Call around and get comp. prices. Then you can make a better decision. You need to keep up with the prices for your area. Don't undercharge and don't overcharge.

Jennifer
PC Photography
“ Beauty can be seen in all things, seeing and composing the beauty is what separates the snapshot from the photograph. – Matt Hardy

amccomis
361 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 20, 2009 21:20 |  #37

JenniferLShort wrote in post #7120852 (external link)
Too many pages to read. so forgive is I repeat. Call around and get comp. prices. Then you can make a better decision. You need to keep up with the prices for your area. Don't undercharge and don't overcharge.

Darn you, Jen... that's what I was gonna say! :D

Seriously, Leo-- Know Thy Market.

I would say charge a $# for coverage only, and if you're not into printing, look into one of the self-fulfill options ( a la pictage ). Offer the cd/dvd of _finished_ JPGs for a good $ too.

Had gear, but sold it off. Starting back in with a SL1 / kit lens. Looking to expand the collection.

JenniferLShort
305 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 21, 2009 11:25 |  #38

amccomis wrote in post #7121706 (external link)
Darn you, Jen... that's what I was gonna say! :D

Seriously, Leo-- Know Thy Market.

I would say charge a $# for coverage only, and if you're not into printing, look into one of the self-fulfill options ( a la pictage ). Offer the cd/dvd of _finished_ JPGs for a good $ too.

Hehe, great minds! Eh?

I do offer a DVD set to their wedding music with all photos (copyrighted and protected from copying). Then I give the family the opportunity to pay extra for their own copies. I do not offer high or low res. proofs on CD. I upload low res, watermarked proofs to a link with a password that I give once they have paid all that they have signed to pay. Everything else is extra. If they grip inform them that once they are married, their job is over. But yours has just begun with editing, printing, etc.

I hope I helped some. Good luck!

Jennifer
PC Photography
“ Beauty can be seen in all things, seeing and composing the beauty is what separates the snapshot from the photograph. – Matt Hardy

bbbig
364 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 21, 2009 13:09 as a reply to  @ JenniferLShort's post |  #39

Reading the posts above, I think the wedding photo pricing scheme falls into one of two schemes:

1. "Sell the farm": Charge a large fee for the actual coverage, and perhaps charge little fees for prints/albums, and sometimes surrender the copyright altogether.

2. "Rent the farm for free, but you pay for anything you get out of it": Charge a smaller fee for the shoot, but charge them more on the prints and larger (but not original) non-watermarked digital copies. You retain all copyright and control reproduction completely.

With digital photography, I think there's a tendency to lean toward #1 from the customers, as they themselves are used to 'owning the media' (as how they are used to with their personal digital camera). Perhaps other wedding photographers can speak to this, but I really think that may be the "challenge", that customers may want the full-res files. Only time will tell which model may survive down the road, and you'll have to price your service accordingly.

Roy

5D Mark III (external link) | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 50 1.2L (external link) (full gear list)

dryfire
67 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 22, 2009 00:01 |  #40

JenniferLShort wrote in post #7125304 (external link)
I do offer a DVD set to their wedding music with all photos (copyrighted and protected from copying).

How so? If it plays on a standard DVD player then it is very easy to remove the copy protection. You still own the rights, but most people probably don't care or undertand.

sponsored links

3,659 views & 0 likes for this thread
please help! setting wedding prices for a new photographer
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.