Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 20 Jan 2009 (Tuesday) 08:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Challenge #3, The Sword of Orion

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 20, 2009 08:34 |  #1

This month our target is The Sword of Orion, including M42(The Great Orion Nebula) and NGC 1977 (The Running Man Nebula). Have fun and don't forget to post your images here.

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

sponsored links
Sorarse
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 20, 2009 10:21 |  #2

Oh goody, a subject I can actually find in the night sky. ;)

Is there any merit in making the challenge thread a sticky so that it a) serves as a reminder that a comp. is available and b) is easier to find.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

troypiggo
Goldmember
4,743 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 20, 2009 14:11 |  #3

Excellent. Thanks Steve. The only astrophoto I've ever taken was of M42 :) I have an Orion-based little "project" in mind for when the skies clear, so I can certainly make this a part of that.

"Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic." - Sheldon
Flickr (external link) | Gear List | Macro Rig | Astro Rig | Astro Software Post

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 21, 2009 02:35 |  #4

Had a few clear nights recently, so I've been able to test my mount after taking it apart and giving it a bit of a service. I shot towards M42 at 600mm and pretty much got the whole sword in easily. Should make for a nice target.

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

chris.bailey
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 21, 2009 07:42 |  #5

Good choice and as I look out of the window, the sky has gone blue!!!

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 21, 2009 09:34 |  #6

chris.bailey wrote in post #7124203 (external link)
Good choice and as I look out of the window, the sky has gone blue!!!

Don't know what it's been like in Norfolk, but we've had quite a few clear nights on the south coast lately. Really dewey though. It's a shame that Orion lies relatively low in the south, and from my site I get the worst light pollution in the south. I'm not equipped to go to another site either, so I'll have to do the best I can. I must make a concerted effort this month. (I've even started looking around at 66mm and 80mm ED APOs!! ;) )

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

chris.bailey
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 21, 2009 10:39 |  #7

Adrena1in wrote in post #7124706 (external link)
Don't know what it's been like in Norfolk, but we've had quite a few clear nights on the south coast lately. Really dewey though. It's a shame that Orion lies relatively low in the south, and from my site I get the worst light pollution in the south. I'm not equipped to go to another site either, so I'll have to do the best I can. I must make a concerted effort this month. (I've even started looking around at 66mm and 80mm ED APOs!! ;) )

Very patchy here. If its clear at 6pm or so its cloudy by 9pm and vice versa. Even clear nights have had a thin layer of high cloud so seeing has not been great. Have set up many times and then packed away again. Yes on the few clear nights it has been very damp and I've been glad of the dew heaters which have worked a treat.

I would go 80mm, its a great size scope and you can always FR downwards. There is a good choice of good 80mm scopes around now. I played with a W/O Megrez 80 a few weeks ago and it is very nice indeed

FlyingPete
I am immune
4,249 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2003

Jan 23, 2009 14:16 as a reply to  @ chris.bailey's post |  #8

OK here is my first shot at this, we recently moved to a new town that unlike Auckland (where I came from) does not suffer from light polution.
I had my Telescope out last night and was trying to shoot the nebula but just plain couldn't get the darn thing working, so I mounted my 40D + 70-200 on the telescope mount and got this shot, the first is the actual uncropped shot, the second is a crop.
Exposure was f/2.8 5 seconds ISO400. Exposure has been bumped by two stops in DPP and contrast reduced and NR applied:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Peter Lowden.
EOS R6 and assorted glass

PJ1958
116 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 23, 2009 16:02 as a reply to  @ FlyingPete's post |  #9

Here is a kind of self portrait of me and my attempt at imaging the sword of Orion :) If you look hard enough, you can see my ghostly red face while I fiddle with the telescope. The bright rectangle is the chimp screen of my 40D.

I got some good images of the sword, but the stars are too trailed for my liking, so this is my entry....the sword is in there!

Image was taken with my 350D, 18-55mm lens mounted on a tripod. I activated the camera with the RC-1 remote.

Scott

HOSTED PHOTO

amadain
140 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 25, 2009 08:41 |  #10

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3230/2983451750_3a96fc5a0e.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3153/2982474641_4defe9137f.jpg

FlyingPete
I am immune
4,249 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Jan 25, 2009 12:53 as a reply to  @ amadain's post |  #11

What lens and settings did you use to get those?

Peter Lowden.

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 25, 2009 15:11 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

I'm going to try to figure out where that is so I can contribute too :D

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

FlyingPete
I am immune
4,249 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Jan 25, 2009 15:38 |  #13

Kajuah wrote in post #7184713 (external link)
I'm going to try to figure out where that is so I can contribute too :D

Try this, easy if you have a clear sky, it looks like a smudge to the naked eye:
http://homeboyastronom​y.com …to-find-orion-nebula-m42/ (external link)

Peter Lowden.

strgazr27
167 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 25, 2009 21:11 |  #14

I finished up 4 hours of Ha data last night and was able to grab 5 hours of RGB data. Processing the almost 60 images and stacking is taking a bit of time. Should be up by Monday night :)

Gripped 40D - 17-40L - 70-200 f/4L - Gitzo GT0531 Mountaineer - Astrotrac TT320X-AG
www.strgazr27.zenfolio​.com (external link)

http://www.stonyhillob​servatory.com (external link)

C-Shuler
322 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 26, 2009 19:56 |  #15

Flying Pete, I tried to photograph Orion's sword the one clear night we had, my first ever attempt at photographing the stars, and what I captured was nothing like what you did. Was there anything else that you did, either during capture or processing? Did you use filters? What is DPP? I have CS3 and always use that for processing my portrait photography, but do not know if astrophotography requires a different processing program.

I also have a 40D, but I don't have as fast a lens, my 80-200mm lens gives me a 4.5 at best, about a 2 stop difference. So in order to keep a 5 second exposure I could bump up my ISO to 1600. I will give that a try the next time there are some clear skies and hope to have something of a little more identifiable nebula.

I am very new to this, but have always had a facination with the stars and wanting to photograph them. A couple years ago I used my dad's telescope to photograph the moon which came out okay considering the clouds, but I had never tried anything else. If I can figure out how to capture something like this nebula with just my camera, I just might feel confident enough to try deep sky objects using my dad's telescope again.

Lockhart Texas Portrait Photographer (external link) / Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

16,060 views & 0 likes for this thread
Challenge #3, The Sword of Orion
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.