Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 26 Jan 2009 (Monday) 22:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Client delima

ErrolEPhotography
316 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 26, 2009 22:00 |  #1

hello everyone, I have a issue. I photographed a client 2 years ago and gave her the edited images and she liked them. Now she wants me to take other photos of her but she wants all the orginal copies as well. what do i do. cause i know if photography you should give out only your images you edit and with watermarks, which is what I do. But she wants all the orignal copies with no watermarks. and it says so in my policy on my site as well.

What should i do?

Errol E Photography
www.ErrolEPhotography.​com (external link)

sponsored links
turbo212003
852 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 26, 2009 22:08 |  #2

ErrolEPhotography wrote in post #7194948 (external link)
hello everyone, I have a issue. I photographed a client 2 years ago and gave her the edited images and she liked them. Now she wants me to take other photos of her but she wants all the orginal copies as well. what do i do. cause i know if photography you should give out only your images you edit and with watermarks, which is what I do. But she wants all the orignal copies with no watermarks. and it says so in my policy on my site as well.

What should i do?

For what purpose does she want the originals? You should ask her that.

Gear List
http://www.grantwphoto​.com (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,947 posts
Gallery: 128 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 26, 2009 22:14 |  #3

Hi Errol - stick to your guns. If you decide to give her the digital files..... and that's a big if, only provide hi rez edited JPGs and charge accordingly.

If she wants your RAW files, assuming she knows what they are and how to manipulate them, these do not truly represent your craft since they are exactly that, raw and unfinished images. Your work speaks for you and shows the world what kind of craftsman you are. Display half-baked work and that's how people will think of you.

Diplomatically and pleasantly explain to her that this is not your policy. Remind her it is stated in your contract and also on the website. And as turbo brought up, WHY does she want the original files? - Stu

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board
Donate to POTN here

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,947 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 26, 2009 22:30 |  #4

Just a few more thoughts..... you don't have to do anything you don't want to. You've stated your case in advance, it's policy, and it's in writing. It's all about diplomacy. A calm, confident, relaxed chat can resolve this dilemma and avoid any misunderstandings.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Donate to POTN here

ErrolEPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
316 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 26, 2009 22:50 |  #5

to edit some for herself as well. but i'm a photographer and editor. No photographer that i know of just takes a pic and not edit. or give it to a editor. i mean its there work and vision

Errol E Photography

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 26, 2009 23:03 as a reply to  @ ErrolEPhotography's post |  #6

I don't see what the big deal is. If she's willing to pay for them, I'd give her the originals (just tack on an extra fee for them).

ErrolEPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
316 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 26, 2009 23:12 |  #7

she doesn't want to pay for them. but also i took 200 shots as well. and if she edits them and its not as well then how would it reflect on me.

Errol E Photography

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,947 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 27, 2009 05:36 |  #8

My point EXACTLY - when she speaks of originals, are we talking the RAW files? If she were somebody I'd known, trusted and had worked with before "editing" files I may consider it. Otherwise it's a wildcard situation.

So basically she wants the files for free then.

ErrolEPhotography wrote in post #7195450 (external link)
she doesn't want to pay for them. but also i took 200 shots as well. and if she edits them and its not as well then how would it reflect on me.

GEAR LIST
Donate to POTN here

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 27, 2009 07:50 |  #9

I would not worry about it, just make sure she does not credit them with your name if she makes her own edits.

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,947 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 27, 2009 11:22 |  #10

I understand where you're coming from, but that causes a little bit of a dilemma then.

If she gets the files, does any sort of work on them and then posts the results somewhere, who should be credited? Say she does a bad job and somebody wants to know who her photographer was, you know she'll serve him up right away. On the other hand, if she's a brilliant editor and does a wonderful job PP'ing the files how should that be handled?

This is what happens when you lose control of the disk......:rolleyes: Btw Zinco, beautiful avatar picture.

zincozinco wrote in post #7196953 (external link)
I would not worry about it, just make sure she does not credit them with your name if she makes her own edits.

GEAR LIST
Donate to POTN here

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 27, 2009 11:29 |  #11

If she seems serious about getting all pictures, tell her that you will only provide all the unedited pictures on several CDs for the additional charge of $500. Stick to your guns and let her decide.

Scott

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

turbo212003
852 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 27, 2009 13:35 |  #12

sspellman wrote in post #7198232 (external link)
If she seems serious about getting all pictures, tell her that you will only provide all the unedited pictures on several CDs for the additional charge of $500. Stick to your guns and let her decide.

Scott

Id charge her $1000, she will become less interested...

Gear List
http://www.grantwphoto​.com (external link)

alabama1980
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 27, 2009 16:59 |  #13

Wouldn't that also bring the inherent risk of someone finding out you did it for THIS client...then someone else wants it done...and so on...then you have a lot of your images with crap editing floating around....

id stick to you guns man...the small profit isnt worth having your name appended to bad editing....that profit could end up costing a bit.

Name's Andy! :)
Facebook (external link)
My 500px (external link)
asheltonphoto.com (external link)

Sledhed
Goldmember
2,510 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 27, 2009 17:31 |  #14

I don't think you have a delimma at all, if she doesn't want to pay for them she doesn't get the files. If a customer asks for the original jpegs (I very rarely shoot RAW) and is willing to pay my price, they can have them.

Chris
Gear List | Website (external link) | Sports Sample Pictures (external link) | Four Seam Images (external link)

If you’re good at something, never do it for free. - The Joker

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 27, 2009 18:54 |  #15

Sledhed wrote in post #7200571 (external link)
I don't think you have a delimma at all, if she doesn't want to pay for them she doesn't get the files.

That's the way I see it.

sponsored links

4,078 views & 0 likes for this thread
Client delima
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.