Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 20 Jan 2009 (Tuesday) 08:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Challenge #3, The Sword of Orion

FlyingPete
I am immune
4,249 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2003

Jan 26, 2009 20:13 |  #16

C-Shuler wrote in post #7194082 (external link)
Flying Pete, I tried to photograph Orion's sword the one clear night we had, my first ever attempt at photographing the stars, and what I captured was nothing like what you did. Was there anything else that you did, either during capture or processing? What is DPP? I have CS3 and always use that for processing my portrait photography, but do not know if astrophotography requires a different processing program.

I also have a 40D, but I don't have as fast a lens, my 80-200mm lens gives me a 4.5 at best, about a 2 stop difference. So in order to keep a 5 second exposure I could bump up my ISO to 1600. I will give that a try the next time there are some clear skies and hope to have something of a little more identifiable nebula.

DPP is the Canon RAW software - Digital Photo Professional, that is pretty much I used. I did apply Noise Reduction as I have a few hot pixels that start to show up over 2 seconds or so. I have bumped the sharpness and saturation, whilst reducing contrast.

Also I had the camera mounted to a telescope with a motorised mount which was compensating for star movement.

Peter Lowden.
EOS R6 and assorted glass

sponsored links
strgazr27
167 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 27, 2009 17:21 |  #17

After 3 hours roughly of calibrating,stacking, aligning and layer masks......Ahh heck here it is......Spec's are below.

Ha Data - 26 X 600 secs @ ISO 1600 18 degrees to start finished at 14 degrees F
RGB Data - 30 X 600 secs @ ISO 800 23 degrees to start finished at 16 degrees F
Skywatcher ED80 w AT .8 Reducer
Clear Filter 40D w Astronomiks 12nm Ha front clip
Atlas running EQMOD - CDC
Borg 76ED/SSAG
Flats - Darks and Bias applied
Captured/Guided in MaximDL v5
IP version 3
Registar
PSCS2

Comments welcomed!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Gripped 40D - 17-40L - 70-200 f/4L - Gitzo GT0531 Mountaineer - Astrotrac TT320X-AG
www.strgazr27.zenfolio​.com (external link)

http://www.stonyhillob​servatory.com (external link)

troypiggo
Goldmember
4,743 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 27, 2009 17:36 |  #18

Absolutely breathtaking. Looks like a watercolour painting. So that's what a whole lot of data and skill can produce :)

"Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic." - Sheldon
Flickr (external link) | Gear List | Macro Rig | Astro Rig | Astro Software Post

Nighthound
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 27, 2009 19:05 |  #19

[jaw hits keyboard]

So that's what I've been missing in mine. :D

Bobby you did an amazing job with this. I am in awe buddy.

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

renderwerks
276 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 27, 2009 19:23 |  #20

Ok, W O W ! !

That's just gorgeous! Excellent Job.

Rick-
My Gear - My Astro Gear - My Feedback

troypiggo
Goldmember
4,743 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 27, 2009 20:54 |  #21

strgazr27 wrote in post #7200505 (external link)
Ha Data - 26 X 600 secs @ ISO 1600 18 degrees to start finished at 14 degrees F
RGB Data - 30 X 600 secs @ ISO 800 23 degrees to start finished at 16 degrees F
Skywatcher ED80 w AT .8 Reducer
Clear Filter 40D w Astronomiks 12nm Ha front clip
Atlas running EQMOD - CDC
Borg 76ED/SSAG
Flats - Darks and Bias applied
Captured/Guided in MaximDL v5
IP version 3
Registar
PSCS2

Quick questions - the core (Trapezium) of the nebula isn't blown out considering such long exposures. Is this attributable to the Ha data? Or did you take some shorter exposures not mentioned above?

And is all the lightness outside the main nebula also part of it? Normally I've seen images this is all black, but you appear to have some nebulosity everywhere in this image.

"Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic." - Sheldon
Flickr (external link) | Gear List | Macro Rig | Astro Rig | Astro Software Post

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 27, 2009 23:19 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

Mama mia...that shot is breathtaking

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

chris.bailey
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 28, 2009 02:05 |  #23

Cracking shot Bobby. Good control of the trap.

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 28, 2009 04:33 |  #24

stargazr, I'm speechless. On the one hand I find it hard to believe that all that cloud and nebulosity is there in the first place, pratically invisible. On the other hand I'm amazed that ground-based equipment can be made to pick it up. Truly a stunning image...surely you could publish your stuff, (or do you already?).

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

siddr20
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 28, 2009 04:39 |  #25

Great comp.. might have to give it a go

www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)http://www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)

Nighthound
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 28, 2009 08:10 |  #26

troypiggo wrote in post #7201918 (external link)
Quick questions - the core (Trapezium) of the nebula isn't blown out considering such long exposures. Is this attributable to the Ha data? Or did you take some shorter exposures not mentioned above?

And is all the lightness outside the main nebula also part of it? Normally I've seen images this is all black, but you appear to have some nebulosity everywhere in this image.

Troy, sorry to cut in but here's a link to demonstrate the amount of nebulosity in this region. I couldn't find the entire constellation shot done by Mr. Gendler but it's mind boggling to see if you can find it. That one is something like 24 hours of exposure. Not sure exposure time on the one seen here:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nas​a.gov/apod/ap070106.ht​ml (external link)

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

troypiggo
Goldmember
4,743 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 28, 2009 14:20 |  #27

Never seen such long exposures on the whole constellation like that. Amazing. I know about Barnard's Loop etc, but not all that background nebulosity. Something to aspire to, hey? :)

xtrematrix
109 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 28, 2009 20:19 as a reply to  @ troypiggo's post |  #28

Amazing shot stargazr. You have inspired me to try and figure out my telescope enough to get something that even remotely resembles yours :)

R ­ Hardman
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 28, 2009 20:48 |  #29

Speechless....

"Whatever you can do to avoid Photoshop is worth it"
EOS 7D, EOS 350D, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 USM (Kit)
Rick's Digital Desert (external link)

strgazr27
167 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 29, 2009 00:27 |  #30

THANK YOU EVERYONE !! for the kind replies. It makes all the time and effort worthwhile. This is a shot I did last night with the 70-200L at f/4. I used a 12nm Hydrogen alpha filter to give those of you who were wondering an idea of how much nebulosity is really in the area. This is 2 hours worth of 10 minute subs.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

This is a wider FOV taken with the 70-200L but shot with the 40D and just a CLS light pollution filter. TONS of nebulosity in this area :)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | Byte size: ZERO

Gripped 40D - 17-40L - 70-200 f/4L - Gitzo GT0531 Mountaineer - Astrotrac TT320X-AG
www.strgazr27.zenfolio​.com (external link)

http://www.stonyhillob​servatory.com (external link)

sponsored links

16,048 views & 0 likes for this thread
Challenge #3, The Sword of Orion
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.