Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Jan 2009 (Wednesday) 03:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

How do you store / transport your studio gear

akiwi
Cream of the Crop
6,903 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 28, 2009 03:31 |  #1

Last week I received my new RX series lights, and wanted a better way to store / transport my studio gear. So I picked up an aluminium box, got some plywood and some foam.
I was dissapointed to find that the aluminium case I bought for such a good price is only chipboard with aluminium foil on the outside & rubber on the inside.
I guess you get what you pay for.....At least the lights are well protected. I won't be using it as check on lugguage on a flight or something.

IMAGE: http://www.peterhansenfoto.de/singapore/galleries/.Hidden/Misc/2018Box_Labels_sm.jpg

Peter
www.PeterHansenPhoto.d​e (external link)
Gear:: Canon 7D & 350D :: EF 24-70 F2.8L :: EF-s 17-85:: 50mm 1.8 ::70-200 F4L ::100 F2.8 Macro:: Sigma 10-20 :: 580EX:: Elinchrom studio lights:: loads of other bibs & bobs.

Hermes
Goldmember
2,375 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 28, 2009 03:44 |  #2

For location work, I use two of the Elinchrom hard cases to pack six of the RXs (usually two 300RXs and four 600RXs). The modifiers go in a big hold-all, the grids are packed flat in a zip-lock bag, the gels rolled up in a long cardboard tube.

You'll never be able to get everything you need in one case without either risking damaging something or wasting space. If it's getting transported by car, it's far more valuable to have everything separate and easy to re-pack in a hurry.

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,467 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 28, 2009 07:43 |  #3

I should get some foam for my case. I bought a HUGE (read this as REALLY FREAKIN HUGE) Stanley rolling tool case. I could layer about 10 heads in the case if I had to. Has a good sturdy handle to it, that extends/retracts from the side; can lock the top cover; has a small tray on the top for misc cords/plugs/etc.

Cost me $70 from Home Depot. The only problem is I have to use the SUV, as it's very tall too- I'll find the link for it.

Here: Stanley Rolling tool chest (external link)

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

SnlpeR
Goldmember
1,013 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 28, 2009 08:43 as a reply to  @ hawk911's post |  #4

all my gear barely fits in the trunk of my prelude
i have this aluminum box that holds two Ab800s, two sunpak383s, cactus set, cables, etc
another alu case that holds my camera gear
a tripod bag that holds 3 8ft stands and 3 umbrellas
two bags that hold a 4ft softbox each
8ft steel stand
13ft alu stand
13ft steel/alu boom stand
and a foldable dolly

im taking my gear on friday and im packing the car up the night before...
so ill update this thread with pics of how i transport my crap

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 28, 2009 09:12 |  #5

An alternative: don't look for photo cases, look for golf cases. Strange, but true.

After searching for a bag to carry light stands and accessories, a Golf Guard plastic hard-shell case (external link) popped up in a discount store. The cases are designed to carry golf bags and clubs, but they have 46 inches of space inside, just right for light stands, and also have enough space for some lights and cables if they're packed correctly (lots of bubble pack helps). The Golf Guard case passed the transport test when they got through airline handling in one piece on a round trip to the West Coast. The only obstacle is the airlines' 50-pound weight limit.

This discount store (external link) had the cases for half the listed price.

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,467 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 28, 2009 09:20 |  #6

I've seen these mentioned before, but the price was always over $150 when I check the stores. I might have to check K-mart. That would certainly fit in my Grand Prix, and I could get 2 of them :)

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

Bumgardnern
977 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 28, 2009 09:53 |  #7

I keep my Elinchrom lights in an Elinchrom case. I keep two of my Alien Bees in a Storm case that I picked up at an estate sale for 5 bucks. My other two lights are in search of a case.

viet
Goldmember
1,019 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 28, 2009 10:09 |  #8

I use one of these, can't remember which. Fits my Genesis 400, stands, wires, a couple of backgrounds, and a bunch of other miscelaneous items.

Amvona cases (external link)

Very secure, easy to transport and looks professional from the tool chest I used to store them in.

akiwi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,903 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 28, 2009 10:26 |  #9

hawk911 wrote in post #7204432 (external link)
I should get some foam for my case. I bought a HUGE (read this as REALLY FREAKIN HUGE) Stanley rolling tool case. I could layer about 10 heads in the case if I had to. Has a good sturdy handle to it, that extends/retracts from the side; can lock the top cover; has a small tray on the top for misc cords/plugs/etc.

Cost me $70 from Home Depot. The only problem is I have to use the SUV, as it's very tall too- I'll find the link for it.

Here: Stanley Rolling tool chest (external link)

I looked at that exact same case too. As this sides aren't straight I figured it would be a bit difficult to get the dividers to fit properly, also it was so big & deep I thought I might fall in and not be able to get out again :lol:.
Naaa. It was on my short list.

SnlpeR wrote in post #7204702 (external link)
i have this aluminum box that holds two Ab800s, two sunpak383s, cactus set, cables, etc
8ft steel stand
13ft alu stand
and a foldable dolly

I did a shoot recently with most of my gear, and my car with the seats folded down was absolutley full including the pasenger seat. Amazing how you collect the stuff over time. Also amazing how much you need.

Peter
Gear:: Canon 7D & 350D :: EF 24-70 F2.8L :: EF-s 17-85:: 50mm 1.8 ::70-200 F4L ::100 F2.8 Macro:: Sigma 10-20 :: 580EX:: Elinchrom studio lights:: loads of other bibs & bobs.

transcend
Goldmember
1,461 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jan 28, 2009 11:04 |  #10

Pelican 1610 for my rangers.

http://www.fraserbritt​on.com (external link)

eigga
Goldmember
2,208 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 28, 2009 11:16 |  #11

I use pelican cases for all my gear.

-Matt
Website (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Instagram (external link)

akiwi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,903 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 29, 2009 00:58 |  #12

Mmmmm Pelican would be nice, but in this size a little pricey

Peter

danir.photography
155 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 29, 2009 04:18 |  #13

akiwi wrote in post #7210930 (external link)
Mmmmm Pelican would be nice, but in this size a little pricey

I'd suggest HPRC but they're just as expensive... if not more... than Pelican.

Gear List
It is better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission... and make that sure your WiFi connection to your laptop is working.

SnlpeR
Goldmember
1,013 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 29, 2009 08:11 |  #14

SnlpeR wrote in post #7204702 (external link)
8ft steel stand
13ft alu stand
and a foldable dolly

here are some pics
i wanna show it in the trunk...but its quite embarrassing :o
i realize i dont need those 3 smaller light stands..(two came with the impact kit)...but i bring them just in case
and im still looking for a case for the longer stands...the longest is about 49"

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3357/3236738846_26e3837c6e_o.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3469/3235893991_292dc6b65a_o.jpg

johnms88
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 31, 2009 20:18 |  #15

Pelican 14xx..not sure which one. Holds 3 strobes, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

1Dmk2n:16-35L:24-70L:Sigma 70-200: 85 1.8 : 50 1.8: www.stuiephoto.com (external link)https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=776396

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

5,771 views & 0 likes for this thread, 18 members have posted to it.
How do you store / transport your studio gear
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.