Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Jan 2009 (Tuesday) 19:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which Lightroom 2.0 book to get?

thetolleyman
611 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 27, 2009 19:33 |  #1

Just got Lightroom 2, and want to pick up a good book on it. Any reccommendations. Or perhaps someone wants to get rid of one.

50D 430EX
35-105 (old school) Sigma 70-200 2.8
28-200 EF 630 Film Tamron 11-18

sponsored links
D.C.
Goldmember
1,155 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 27, 2009 19:39 |  #2

I am working my way thru Scott Kelby's book. It is easy to understand. Now I wish I could remember it all. When I get to the end I will start over to get more out of it.

Duane
7D, 430EX,10-22, 100 Macro, 100-400, 24-105, 500 F/4 IS

My Gallery (external link)

timeasterday
960 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 27, 2009 19:40 |  #3

I'm reading Scott Kelby's book right now. Seems very good so far and I have learned a ton just the first few chapters.

7DMKII, 5DMKII, Canon 17-40L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Canon 70-200mmL f/2.8 II, Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Zeiss ZE 50mm Makro Planar, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Kenko Pro 300 DG 1.4x TC, Canon 2X III TC, 580EX II x2, YN560, RF603's
My Smugmug (external link) | Flickr (external link)

GMHY
Goldmember
1,013 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 27, 2009 20:38 |  #4

+1 for Kelby's book - not cheap, but the best IMO after checking several others at Borders

Gerard

RileyLewis
105 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 27, 2009 22:35 |  #5

I will have to check out this book.

5D Mark III | 24-105 L | 35 1.4 L | 135 2.0 L | 70-200 F4 IS L | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 100 2.8 |

CronoDL
352 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 27, 2009 23:13 as a reply to  @ RileyLewis's post |  #6

I'd recommend Martin Evening's book.

I find that Scott Kelby doesn't always explain why he's doing something. For instance, in one of his beginner's books, he says something along the lines of "when shooting landscapes, you should use Aperture Priority mode and set your camera to f10 or f13." But then he does not explain why that is the case.

Also, the worst part is the "humor" in his books. It's just annoying.

Danny
Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

janner
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 29, 2009 10:35 |  #7

[QUOTE=CronoDL;7202828​]I'd recommend Martin Evening's book.

Agreed, very informative and easy to follow.
"The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 book"

brucea
563 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2004

Jan 29, 2009 12:34 |  #8

Evening for the finest details.

Kelby for step by step. I don't find him funny or amusing, though. Sophomoric and self-conscious humor.

Of course, there is always the free Lightroom Manual, downloadable from Adobe

http://help.adobe.com …/2.0/lightroom_​2_help.pdf (external link)

Note that Adobe makes updates to this document from time to time. I just downloaded again today and they added 11 pages over the last few months.

BluewookieJim
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 29, 2009 13:42 |  #9

I like the Kelby book. I've had it for a few months now, and I find I still use it. I like the approach of here is how to do something particular... not just here is how everything works.

For example, yesterday I was doing some printing to my Canon MP980 from lightroom 2. I don't print my own very often, so I was bit fuzzy about setting up the color management. I just reviewed that one section and did what I needed.

I agree that the humor is most of the time lame, but I do like the task based approach to each section.

My Gear and Stuff :: My Zenfolio Gallery (external link) :: My Flickr (external link) :: http://photos.kodanja.​net (external link)

Nanboh
614 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 29, 2009 14:18 |  #10

I agree that Kelby gets annoying but info is good.

I used Lynda.com videos--very, very thorough. You can sign up by the month and quit anytime--in a month you can learn A LOT of material and it's much easier for some than using a book. Just another option.

Support this site - donate here

SSquared2000
245 posts
Joined Oct 2001

Jan 31, 2009 13:32 |  #11

Another vote for the Martin Evening book "The Abobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 Book". I was torn between this and the Kelby book, but ended up getting this one since our local library has the Kelby book. :-) (Although I'm 3rd on the request list, so it will be awhile before I get it.)

I just open the Martin Evening book up and find it so informative no matter what page I land on. My main interest in a book was to learn and understand the whole import and photo management side of things and this book is quite in-depth. Actually, both this and Kelby's book looked the most complete on this topic.

I just recently got Lightroom (for Christmas), being a convert from RawShooter Pro, and am still just learning and experimenting with things. This book has already shown great benefits in both my workflow and editing. And with so many sliders and options there were some (like clarity) I may have left alone for now without the book going over it.

Equipment: Canon Rebel XT, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 18-55 Kit Lens, 50mm 1.8, Sigma 18-200 OS
Post Processing: Lightroom 2, TheGimp, IrfanView
Interests: Enjoy photographing Landscape, B&W, Portrait...and of course my family

sponsored links

1,423 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which Lightroom 2.0 book to get?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.