Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Jan 2009 (Friday) 10:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

fisheye help and owners

rebelling_lemming
82 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 30, 2009 10:47 |  #1

ok, so payday come today and iv decided up purchase a fisheye lens for my 40d. i have roughly around 500 english pounds. i mainly shoot at night, doing long exposures but also shoot sports such as mountainbiking in dark dingy forrests and indoor skateparks.

the main contenders are as follows:
Sigma 15mm f2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Lens (Canon EF) - 380 pounds
Sigma 8mm f/3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye (Canon AF) - 530 pounds
Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fish Eye - 530 pounds

im a bit puzzled as to what the differences are as to picture quality etc and fish-eyed ness any examples would be much apreciated and views/comments on each

thanks, phil

sponsored links
gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 30, 2009 11:29 |  #2

First decide if you want a rectangular or circular fisheye. Then realize that the two 15mm you mention are not very fishy on your 40D. Sigma 10mm or Tokina 10-17 are about your only choices for rect. fisheye on 40D.

GEAR LIST

sosk
20 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 31, 2009 01:33 |  #3

tokina will still run you about 500-600 canadian.

i got myself a Zenitar 16mm off ebay for about 200.
im pretty happy with it
next step will definetly be the tokina 10-17 at least if i still have my crop body

5DII & 7D / 8mm Samyang Fisheye / 14mm 2.8 samyang / 17-40 4L / 50mm 1.4 / 70-200 2.8L / Alien bees

jbergdoll
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 31, 2009 01:35 as a reply to  @ gasrocks's post |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Get the Tokina.

-Joseph
bergdollphoto.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
gear list

Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 31, 2009 08:58 |  #5

Hi Phil. Here are my 2 cents on fisheyes with the 40d. From the reserch I did I found that you really will not get the effect you are looking for with those lenes because of the cropped sensor. I was impresses with the Sigma 10mm fisheye on the 40d. It really gave me the look I was hoping to get with a fisheye lens. If you can take you camera to a camera shop and take a couple of test shots with each lens, that will tell you which one you want for sure. Good luck.

Ron

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

ChrisRabior
826 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 31, 2009 09:05 |  #6

I've got the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, and it's freakin AWESOME in low light.. though not as wide as a true fisheye. If you want more of a fisheye, Sigma's 8mm and 4.5mm lenses are supposed to be unreal in terms of coverage.

My Gear | My Alamy (external link) | My Website (external link) | MMA Photography (external link)

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 31, 2009 11:03 |  #7

rebelling_lemming wrote in post #7220257 (external link)
ok, so payday come today and iv decided up purchase a fisheye lens for my 40d. i have roughly around 500 english pounds. i mainly shoot at night, doing long exposures but also shoot sports such as mountainbiking in dark dingy forrests and indoor skateparks.

the main contenders are as follows:
Sigma 15mm f2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Lens (Canon EF) - 380 pounds
Sigma 8mm f/3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye (Canon AF) - 530 pounds
Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fish Eye - 530 pounds

im a bit puzzled as to what the differences are as to picture quality etc and fish-eyed ness any examples would be much apreciated and views/comments on each

thanks, phil

This is always my favorite topic. I'm a big fisheye junkie, and I have tried a few of the the lenses out there other than the one I own. Here's the skinny.

First off, because of the crop factor of 1.6x crop cameras a 15mm fisheye is a waste of money... the fisheyness is all but gone. So stay away. In order to replicate the 15mm rectangular/full frame fisheye perspective of 35mm you need a 10mm fisheye for crop. There are only 2 offerings that give you this particular look and they are the Sigma 10mm f/2.8 DC EX HSM, and the Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 Fisheye Zoom. I suggest the Tokina offering even tho its a slower lens, it is the only fisheye zoom and that makes it much more versatile.

If you want a circular fisheye on crop, you have to answer the following question for yourself - Do you want a little bit of vignetting in the frame (i.e. just the corners) or do you want a full image circle vignette?

If you say you want a little vignetting, then you have 2 options to consider, Sigma 8mm f/3.5 DG EX (or older f/4 if you can find one), or a manual focus 8mm lens (like the MC Peleng 8mm f/3.5 A Circular Fisheye). I own an MC Peleng 8mm f/3.5A Circular Fisheye and it is one of my favorite and surprisingly sharpest lenses. For proof of just how sharp this lens can be, check my Pbase for my favorite shot from it (actually an HDR of 3 handheld shots, so it is a testament to just how sharp it is). The Sigma 8mm f/3.5 DG EX
HSM is a nice lens, but my Peleng is sharper, and focuses better (albeit manually). Plus the Peleng will save you 50% almost against the Siggy.

If you say you want the full image circle vignette, then you have 2 options to consider, Sigma 4.5mm f/2.8 DC EX HSM or the Sunex Super Fisheye 5.6mm f/5.6. The Sigma 4.5mm is a 180 degree lens, the Sunex 5.6mm is a 185 degree lens. The Sigma is faster, but the Sunex has a fixed aperature (i.e. you can't stop it down) this fixed aperature (theoretically) is the optimal sharpness for the lens design, hence the reason its fixed. The Sunex is supposedly much easier to utilize for spherical stitching because of the extra 5 degrees of FOV. But I haven't tried this thing so I can't say if this is so or not. Both cost the same, $899.

My suggestion, get the Peleng 8mm, you will be a bit confused as to how to use it at first, but after a week it will be the easiest lens you've ever used. And its sharp as hell, even at f/4 it is a very sharp lens (I suggest stopping it down from f/3.5 the improvement in sharpness from f/3.5 to f/4 is quite noticeable). I love mine.

-Alan

Alan "NuReality" Fronshtein
Gear List | PBase |  (external link)flickr (external link)
Lots of Fun, Lots of Laughs, Happy Trigger Finger!

Jman13
Cream of the Crop
5,558 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 31, 2009 11:10 |  #8

Definitely Tokina 10-17 or Sigma 10...don't even consider any other, unless you want a circular fisheye, and in that case, get the Sigma 4.5.

I love my 10-17 since it's a 180 degree fisheye on both my 30D and my 1DII.

Jordan Steele - http://www.jordansteel​e.com (external link)
Admiring Light - http://www.admiringlig​ht.com (external link)

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,224 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 31, 2009 19:02 |  #9

Another recommendation for the Sigma 10mm, and you can get it for only £360 if you shop around.

Mark.

sponsored links

1,084 views & 0 likes for this thread
fisheye help and owners
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.