Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 31 Jan 2009 (Saturday) 08:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do wedding photogs do when printing etc?

Nevilleblack
446 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 31, 2009 08:02 |  #1

I dont do wedding photography but was thinking about it in the future when I get some decent gear.
My question is, and I've always wondered, when a photographer has options on his website for packages and things you can get with your package such as, prints, dvd slide show, books etc. Do they typically get them all printed from one source? Or do they do half themselves and the rest from misc sources on the net/locally??

"And thats the kind of day it's been..." - Lloyd Robertson

sponsored links
MJBCreative
570 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 31, 2009 10:08 |  #2

There are some that do printing themselves, some hand make their albums. Most however outsource their prints, albums, etc. Usually stuff like DVD's are done in-house. One way to look at is, do what is making you money. If you're shooting, then you're making money. If you're spending time doing other things, are they making you money?? There are even some photographers now who are outsourcing their post-processing to companies like Photographer's Edit.

Mike | flickr (external link) | Photos on Railpictures.net (external link) |

Nevilleblack
THREAD ­ STARTER
446 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 31, 2009 11:15 |  #3

Photographer's Edit does the editing too? hmm
Id rather do my own but thats interesting.
If I end up doing this Ill probably look locally but it would be nice to do it all at one shop.
Whats good software for slideshows?

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 31, 2009 16:13 |  #4

I don't do weddings yet, but would be reluctant to use someone else to edit my shots, after all, my customers are hiring me, and each one of us has our own style. I use ProShow Producer for slide shows and currently do 7 a year.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

Nevilleblack
THREAD ­ STARTER
446 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 31, 2009 17:14 |  #5

Read about ProShow. Has good reviews.
Yeah I dont get that service... I wouldnt want somebody elses work put into my portfolio lol

mezorn26
526 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 31, 2009 17:28 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Mike R wrote in post #7228017 (external link)
I don't do weddings yet, but would be reluctant to use someone else to edit my shots, after all, my customers are hiring me, and each one of us has our own style. I use ProShow Producer for slide shows and currently do 7 a year.

Exactly.....Not only is your style the way you capture the wedding day, but also, the way you process the images....

My Gear List

MJBCreative
570 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 31, 2009 21:48 as a reply to  @ mezorn26's post |  #7

Companies like Photographer's Edit only do basic stuff like color correction, contrast, etc.

The rest of it is up to the photographer. I guess if you're really busy and you can't hire someone to do it in house, then maybe that's the way to go.

Mike | flickr (external link) | Photos on Railpictures.net (external link) |

Rokkorfan
256 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 31, 2009 23:34 |  #8

No decent pro prints his own images except for large-scale studios that have invested tens of thousands in high end large format printing equipment.

As for the rest, it depends on the photographer, but most select suppliers based upon price, reliability, quality etc. As an example, I get my coffee table albums from Asukabook because they are the best coffee table album supplier. For engagement books and family books I use Momento because they are cheaper and the quality is good enough for me for that type of shoot. Many pros use them for their wedding albums, but for me they are just not good enough for a wedding album.

For prints up to 12" x 18" I use a local lab. For larger prints I use "The Edge" in Melbourne. For my normal albums I use Albums Australia. For print boxes and DVD cases I use Seldex.

I figure you get the idea. I choose the best I can get at the price I am prepared to pay.

Professional wedding photographer based in Coffs Harbour, NSW Australia (external link)
Links: Website  (external link)| Blog (external link) | How to photograph a wedding (external link)

Milamu'g
114 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 01, 2009 13:16 |  #9

Rokkorfan wrote in post #7230110 (external link)
No decent pro prints his own images except for large-scale studios that have invested tens of thousands in high end large format printing equipment. (...)

Actually a lot decent pro's print their own work! But we're talking weddings and most of the print work goes into albums and the day of filling an album with printed 4x6's are pretty much over. Which means that most of the wedding photographers don't invest in inhouse printing anymore, so they outsource their printing.

Rokkorfan
256 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 01, 2009 14:43 as a reply to  @ Milamu'g's post |  #10

I am not aware of any professional wedding photographer that prints his or her own work for sale to clients. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, just that it is extremely uncommon. It's not cost-effective, and the archival characteristics of inkjet printed work mean that it is a risk most pros just choose not to take. If you know lots of pros who do then things must be very different where you work.

Professional wedding photographer based in Coffs Harbour, NSW Australia (external link)
Links: Website  (external link)| Blog (external link) | How to photograph a wedding (external link)

BestVisuals
763 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 01, 2009 15:01 |  #11

A very successful wedding/bar mitzvah photographer I know of in Cincinatti switched to wide-body injket printers and saves $9,000 per year on his printing. Yes, he's a pro and charges a minimum of $25,000 per event. I will agree it's somewhat rare but not unheard of.

When I did weddings (5 years), I had my images on PhotoReflect; anyone could order prints from any event I did and I got a check with no work on my behalf! I used the pro version of PhotoReflect and selected a very good lab, Image Pros of Wisconsin, to handle all the reprints and shipping.

Rokkorfan wrote in post #7233423 (external link)
I am not aware of any professional wedding photographer that prints his or her own work for sale to clients. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, just that it is extremely uncommon. It's not cost-effective, and the archival characteristics of inkjet printed work mean that it is a risk most pros just choose not to take. If you know lots of pros who do then things must be very different where you work.

Canon 5D MK II, 24-105 L, Sigma 16mm fisheye

Rokkorfan
256 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 01, 2009 18:27 |  #12

BestVisuals wrote in post #7233508 (external link)
A very successful wedding/bar mitzvah photographer I know of in Cincinatti switched to wide-body injket printers and saves $9,000 per year on his printing. Yes, he's a pro and charges a minimum of $25,000 per event. I will agree it's somewhat rare but not unheard of.

If you saw what I said originally, it was this:

"No decent pro prints his own images except for large-scale studios that have invested tens of thousands in high end large format printing equipment."

For the average pro, it's not common at all.

eyelookok2blindgurls
111 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 01, 2009 18:33 |  #13

Rokkorfan wrote in post #7234652 (external link)
If you saw what I said originally, it was this:

"No decent pro prints his own images except for large-scale studios that have invested tens of thousands in high end large format printing equipment."

For the average pro, it's not common at all.

"News to me" almost every decent pro I know print their own Image's , not that I'm an expert or anything having only been in the industry for 26 years :oops:

:confused:The only rule is there are no rules:confused:sometimes I am a little more than mildy offensive:confused:

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,654 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 02, 2009 15:14 |  #14

eyelookok2blindgurls wrote in post #7234687 (external link)
"News to me" almost every decent pro I know print their own Image's , not that I'm an expert or anything having only been in the industry for 26 years :oops:

OK-- to each his own. My opinion is not like yours-- I send out the majority of my work to a professional printer. I do the dvd printing work inhouse-- but for me - too much investment and time to not purchase prints from a pro printing house.

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

Faolan
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 02, 2009 15:40 |  #15

I know quite a few british wedding photographers who print their own prints. I know this because I used to service the printers! Mostly Epson and HP wide carriages but HP has become more popular due to it's inbuilt calibrator.

As to longevity and quality: What do you think print houses use? They use the same kit for much of the canvas and specialty prints.

Some call me the Heilan' Laddie, but others call me Rob.
Flickr (external link) - Lighting set ups using Canon Flash/Elinchrom plus some general work.
Celtic Shadows Design (external link) - Photography and WordPress Development.

sponsored links

2,563 views & 0 likes for this thread
What do wedding photogs do when printing etc?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.