Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 02 Feb 2009 (Monday) 11:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flashy recommendations

asty80
586 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 02, 2009 11:23 |  #1

Hi - what is a good flash to invest in?
I just started doing some macro photography and with the small apertures, feel the need of a good flash terribly! My budget is fairly small :(
So pls be considerate :). Anything good in the region of $100 or $200?
If not, then pls suggest even higher amounts so that I get an idea of what I need to do/save.

Apologies if this topic has been repeated but I searched and couldn't find anything similar.
thanks!

Canon 5D Mark iii, Canon 40D
24-105mm f/4 L IS, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 100-400L, 100mm macro, 430ex ii, SLIK 700DX tripod
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/shyamyag (external link)
:)

sponsored links
snails
"I used the last of it to tip the strippers."
1,517 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 02, 2009 11:54 |  #2

Maybe this belongs in the flash forum.

But I like my Sigma EF-500 DG Super, all the features of the Canon 530EX without the price.

Support the forums - donate here

keener
537 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 02, 2009 11:56 |  #3

for $200 you can get a decent strobist lighting setup. Search for "strobist" and you'll enter a whole new world of flash photography.

You can get wireless radio triggers on eBay (Cactus V2s) for about $30. Then, get a used flash for $40-50. Something like a Sunpak 383, 433AF, Vivitar 285, and old Canon 420EZ or similar flash. Chances are you won't be able to use that flash on your camera, but that's not the point of strobist. The point is to use the flash off the camera. You will also need a hotshoe adapter so that you can plug the wireless receiver up with your flash. with this setup you can point your light anywhere you want for some great macro lighting.

Gear List | flickr (external link)

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Feb 02, 2009 12:06 |  #4

If it were me and that was my budget I would look for a good used 420EX.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

asty80
THREAD ­ STARTER
586 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 02, 2009 13:28 |  #5

snails wrote in post #7238319 (external link)
But I like my Sigma EF-500 DG Super, all the features of the Canon 530EX without the price.

keener wrote in post #7238331 (external link)
for $200 you can get a decent strobist lighting setup. Search for "strobist" and you'll enter a whole new world of flash photography.

You can get wireless radio triggers on eBay (Cactus V2s) for about $30. Then, get a used flash for $40-50. Something like a Sunpak 383, 433AF, Vivitar 285, and old Canon 420EZ or similar flash. Chances are you won't be able to use that flash on your camera, but that's not the point of strobist. The point is to use the flash off the camera. You will also need a hotshoe adapter so that you can plug the wireless receiver up with your flash. with this setup you can point your light anywhere you want for some great macro lighting.

rklepper wrote in post #7238387 (external link)
If it were me and that was my budget I would look for a good used 420EX.

Thanks guys, for the help! I'll check these options out. :)

Canon 5D Mark iii, Canon 40D
24-105mm f/4 L IS, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 100-400L, 100mm macro, 430ex ii, SLIK 700DX tripod
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/shyamyag (external link)
:)

Green ­ Li
753 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 04, 2009 14:08 |  #6

asty80 wrote in post #7238101 (external link)
Hi - what is a good flash to invest in?
I just started doing some macro photography and with the small apertures, feel the need of a good flash terribly! My budget is fairly small :(
So pls be considerate :). Anything good in the region of $100 or $200?
If not, then pls suggest even higher amounts so that I get an idea of what I need to do/save.

Apologies if this topic has been repeated but I searched and couldn't find anything similar.
thanks!

I'd say go Canon with 430EX II or Metz 48 AF-1.
You can try watching amazon for a good price. Recently they had the metz just for $169 (which is unbelievable ;)).
I have reviews on both flashes:
Canon 430EX II: http://photo.greenligh​tstreet.com …icleview/frmArt​icleID/16/ (external link)
Metz 48 AF-1: http://photo.greenligh​tstreet.com …ticleview/frmAr​ticleID/2/ (external link)

PHOTO-TIPS-ONLINE.com – photo tips, photography reviews (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Google (external link)+

LostShootingStar
Goldmember
1,005 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 04, 2009 20:30 |  #7

Green Li wrote in post #7253929 (external link)
I'd say go Canon with 430EX II or Metz 48 AF-1.
You can try watching amazon for a good price. Recently they had the metz just for $169 (which is unbelievable ;)).
I have reviews on both flashes:
Canon 430EX II: http://photo.greenligh​tstreet.com …icleview/frmArt​icleID/16/ (external link)
Metz 48 AF-1: http://photo.greenligh​tstreet.com …ticleview/frmAr​ticleID/2/ (external link)

Looks like it's $225 now: http://www.amazon.com …eras-Number/dp/B000XXN7JA (external link)

Amazon prices go up and down so much though, tomorrow it might be free.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

mrgooch
Goldmember
3,109 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 08, 2009 16:40 as a reply to  @ LostShootingStar's post |  #8

Metz 48 AF-1 (external link)

Amazon shows a $20 mail in rebate on the camer until May 30th.

sponsored links

1,326 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flashy recommendations
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.