Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 08:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!

this thread is locked
TheHoff
THREAD ­ STARTER
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 01, 2009 22:16 |  #1021

Spazzmodicus wrote in post #7235386 (external link)
What's the difference in the HS and the RS? (I have the 1N-RS)

Isn't the RS the fixed pellicle mirror? So you don't get image black-out when you trip an exposure and it rips through at like 10 FPS, right? The HS is just the 1N with the power booster drive (PBD-E1) attached.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

sponsored links
Spazzmodicus
993 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 02, 2009 01:12 |  #1022

TheHoff wrote in post #7235919 (external link)
Isn't the RS the fixed pellicle mirror? So you don't get image black-out when you trip an exposure and it rips through at like 10 FPS, right? The HS is just the 1N with the power booster drive (PBD-E1) attached.

Yup...fixed pellicle mirror and 10 f.p.s. goodness.

Spazzmodicus
993 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 02, 2009 01:16 |  #1023

The Ghost of FM wrote in post #7235881 (external link)
Looks like you guys had fun and frosty adventure on the trail! Extra kudos for braving the elements!

How did your batteries hold up in the cold? Lots of switching back and forth to warm them in your pockets?

Cheers!

Sot most of them on an uncharged battery. After about 100 shots it finally died. I had 3 other batteries sitting in the bottom of my Lowepro Toploader. Didn't try to keep them warm at all, and I'm still shooting off the battery that I switched out.

sheawyatt
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 02, 2009 01:21 |  #1024

Spazzmodicus wrote in post #7236040 (external link)
Yup...fixed pellicle mirror and 10 f.p.s. goodness.

Say, I've always wondered how that affected the viewfinder and exposure. Since the mirror is something like 50% transmission, 50% reflection, is the viewfinder 50% darker than a normal VF, and are exposures automatically overexposed by 1-stop to compensate? It's probably pretty quiet too, eh? No mirror banging around inside would be nice.

Just browsing the camera museum...

http://www.canon.com …eg=crn&page=199​1-1995&p=1 (external link)

0.006 sec shutter lag (6 ms) sure makes the 40-55ms of the current 1-series seem slow.

X-T3 | 10-24 f/4 | 18-55 f/2.8-4 | 16 f/1.4 | 80 f/2.8 Macro | 55-200 f/3.5-4.8 | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 | 1.4x TC |
Marketplace Feedback: Link
www.sheawyatt.ca (external link)

TheHoff
THREAD ­ STARTER
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 02, 2009 01:35 |  #1025

It lets 2/3 of the light through with 1/3 reflected up, so you lose about 2/3 stop? And you have to worry about dust on the mirror like dust on a sensor :D but man it must be responsive.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

evdh
128 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 02, 2009 02:45 |  #1026

Spazzmodicus wrote in post #7235386 (external link)
What's the difference in the HS and the RS? (I have the 1N-RS)

The HS is the HighSpeed version. 6fps.
The RS is the SuperHighSpeed version 10fps.
But the big difference : with the RS version the mirror is fixed. And so you lose a few stops.
More info here :
Canon 1N-HS - http://www.mir.com.my …sics/eos/EOS-1n/index.htm (external link)
Canon 1N-RS - http://www.mir.com.my …cs/eos/EOS-1nRS/index.htm (external link)

Everyone is very occupied with tomorrow, next week, next month, next year.
Just today, we forget to be happy. Every day again, be happy, today, be happy...
The sunset was wonderfull...
e-vdh.be (external link) | info@e-vdh.be (external link) | GearList | new GearList (external link)

epatt250
769 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 02, 2009 09:20 |  #1027

Spazzmodicus wrote in post #7235353 (external link)
What?...are you wanting to photograph a juggler or something? Heh heh.

No, just use flash to light an outdoor subject and underexpose the ambient. Every little bit of shutter speed helps when its sunny out.

That second shot is excellent Spazz. It looks like IR except in color.

Gear- Why do you care? If my image is good it's good, if it sucks it sucks. It's most likely my own fault.
www.elipattersonphoto.​com (external link)

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 02, 2009 09:30 |  #1028

Spazzmodicus wrote in post #7236052 (external link)
Sot most of them on an uncharged battery. After about 100 shots it finally died. I had 3 other batteries sitting in the bottom of my Lowepro Toploader. Didn't try to keep them warm at all, and I'm still shooting off the battery that I switched out.

OMG!!! Mate you dont wanna cross that bridge if the train arrives... I hope the guy out there was just for show! very nice series!!

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 02, 2009 20:10 as a reply to  @ zincozinco's post |  #1029

It seems like I am getting sharper results at f/2.8 with my 24-70 on the 1ds2 over my 30D. Very minimal sharpening on the file.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3420/3247555668_f946f5327c_o.jpg

Leica M | Sony a7R | Fujfilm X-Pro 1
flickrexternal link

evdh
128 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 03, 2009 02:14 |  #1030

David S wrote in post #7241339 (external link)
It seems like I am getting sharper results at f/2.8 with my 24-70 on the 1ds2 over my 30D. Very minimal sharpening on the file.

Same feeling here.

Everyone is very occupied with tomorrow, next week, next month, next year.
Just today, we forget to be happy. Every day again, be happy, today, be happy...
The sunset was wonderfull...
e-vdh.be (external link) | info@e-vdh.be (external link) | GearList | new GearList (external link)

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 03, 2009 06:51 |  #1031

ive got a bit of a silly gear question... I have always almost just used canon lenses and since the introduction og ef-s lenses never touched the subject. What is the widest non fisheye lens that fit on a 1dsmk2 tokina, canon, sigma, tamron etc I lokked around in shops buthey have so many abbrevation these days its inrcedible. so if some one here can help me out with a zoom or prime that is the wides i can go please let me know. thanks!!!

Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,915 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 03, 2009 06:56 |  #1032

zincozinco wrote in post #7244142 (external link)
ive got a bit of a silly gear question... I have always almost just used canon lenses and since the introduction og ef-s lenses never touched the subject. What is the widest non fisheye lens that fit on a 1dsmk2 tokina, canon, sigma, tamron etc I lokked around in shops buthey have so many abbrevation these days its inrcedible. so if some one here can help me out with a zoom or prime that is the wides i can go please let me know. thanks!!!

Maybe Sigma or Tokina 12-24, maybe Canon 14L, i don't know if Tokina 11-16 or 10-16 is fishy but how much wide do you want to go? I am happy with my Canon 16-35, even i feel it too much wide in most cases and i use 24-105 most of the time then.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 03, 2009 07:10 |  #1033

Tareq wrote in post #7244157 (external link)
Maybe Sigma or Tokina 12-24, maybe Canon 14L, i don't know if Tokina 11-16 or 10-16 is fishy but how much wide do you want to go? I am happy with my Canon 16-35, even i feel it too much wide in most cases and i use 24-105 most of the time then.

heheeh!!! :) im like you...maybe sigma maybe tokina... etc i dont know either which fit which does not and what is it called - hx, dx, c, ip, c2, - no idea! what I want is wide for mounting on a car rig... so im guessing between 12-17mm or so just dont know the manufacturer. I dont wanna pay for the canon 14mm - in case it falls off.... im looking at getting a used 5d for the weight...

cicopo
Goldmember
3,553 posts
Gallery: 242 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 03, 2009 07:20 |  #1034

Spazz, your ice storm shots are excellent. Too bad that although they make for great photo ops ice storms can cause so much destruction. As for a really wide lens I posted samples from my Sigma 12-24 way back when this had only a few pages of messages, so you can judge for yourself just how close it gets to looking "fishy".
On another note I sold off a 1D2n and 300 F4L IS last week so decided to roll the money into a 5D2 for my trip to Cozumel on the 13th. I hadn't planned on doing that but after a lot of reading think the 5D2 & 1Ds2 is my best 2 body set up for my interests. Time will tell, and FYI I have no interest in the video function.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,915 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 03, 2009 07:34 |  #1035

zincozinco wrote in post #7244209 (external link)
heheeh!!! :) im like you...maybe sigma maybe tokina... etc i dont know either which fit which does not and what is it called - hx, dx, c, ip, c2, - no idea! what I want is wide for mounting on a car rig... so im guessing between 12-17mm or so just dont know the manufacturer. I dont wanna pay for the canon 14mm - in case it falls off.... im looking at getting a used 5d for the weight...

I posted a shot of Sigma 12-24 on my 1Ds2 also in another thread, it is really very wide, amazing UWA lens.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

1,398,766 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.